The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Visual effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Hi Guys,

Here is a selection of ideas for visual stage/manipulation effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjVluNAHzac

and manipulation applied to more close up/parlour/street settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xp2K5b7NXE

Hope you enjoy.

b
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Great Eye Candy!

Bairefoot
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Although it looks like you put a lot of work into those moves, I certainly would not call any of them a magic presentation. More like juggling then any kind of structured magic trick. This is more of what is currently called, Show-Off Presentation, no disrespect intended.

Hand washing has been all but eliminated in todays manipulation magic, and every one of your moves depends greatly on hand washing. I don't know how any of these would fit into a stage manipulation routine.

Your showmanship to punch up each effect is nonexistent, therefore, there is no applause cue for the audience. Magicians to this day, have not figured out how to overcome the non-audience response of a vanish, as the appearance of an object can bring applause. The vanish only gives the shock of it totally disappearing, but no applause.

You did not speak during your exhibition, it is speech that can enhance your move and maybe bring these moves into being a magic trick.

As for street magic, I doubt that any of those vanishes and appearances, would hold a passing-by audience more then a second and they would leave and move on.

To be honest, it all was very boring to watch. As far as magic, I did not see a magic effect or routine in either of the videos, just a vanish and appearance.

A magic trick has a beginning, a middle, and an ending. I did not see that in any of the well edited video.

It is more of a promotion for a new manipulation / juggling DVD on common ordinary items.

Thank you for posting you videos, but I do not see any use for them in a magic routine.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I counted 21 magic effects.
I consider the video a collage of effects rather than a single structured performance—which I think is fine for a documentation of your work.

These are the magic effects I noted:
1) Cards dealt onto knee vanish (based perhaps on a Lennart Green effect?)
2) Jumbo coin appears (after some acquitments)
3) Jumbo coin vanishes
4) Candle appears and vanishes
5) Top card on face down deck is turned face up and suddenly all the cards are face up
6) Normal-sized coin changes to jumbo coin and back to normal-sized
7) Jumbo coin splits into two jumbo coins
8) Coin changes to ball bearing
9) One-coin routine a la Slydini with jumbo coin
10) Coin(?) changes to jumbo sponge ball
11) Jumbo coin magically produced from purse frame
12) Flip stick vanishes and reproductions
13) Coin matrix
14) Coin to ball bearing
15) Coin to rose
16) Growing glass ball
17) Coin that falls up
18) Floating sphere (I think that's the effect; clip should be a little longer maybe to register longer on the audience)
19) Color-changing thimble
20) Jack of Hearts changes to a four aces (nice twist on the snap change)
21) Thimble vanish and multiplication

One can always debate, of course, whether flourishes are magic. The top manipulators generally regarded flourishes as acceptable as part of a magic act as long as they don't dominate the act. Cardini did the spring flourish in his act, and the billiard ball rolling along his finger is a flourish. His diminishing cards is arguably a flourish. Cardini does the spring flourish and the waterfall drop. No magic there. Springing the cards into the newspaper held by Swan is not magic. The whole sequence with trying to put the cigarette into the cigarette holder is sort of slapstick followed by the magical effect of the cigarette appearing in the holder--which you notice gets a great reaction from the audience. The ball roll is a flourish--and again gets a great reaction from the audience--and he does it _twice_. I suppose you could call the way the boutonnière moves by itself magic.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Graduate of the Hay-Ganson-Edwards School of Magic
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did not say Flourishes, I said, Hand Washing. I have to state again, yes, he does what seems to be doing a trick, but without a beginning and an end, they are just moves. Very angle sensitive moves at that.

We don't see how the coin, pen, etc. are introduced, and how he ends the trick. So do you stand there for ever, yes, it is a collection. But a collection of what.

He is from some other country, so I guess his English is limited. He went to a lot of trouble to create that smoke and to wear that mask in the 2nd video.

I did not say he was not good, because he is, but it seems there is not purpose to them.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Again its EYE CANDY!

Bairefoot
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Bill, I guess I interpreted your statement "More like juggling then any kind of structured magic trick. This is more of what is currently called, Show-Off Presentation" as meaning "more like flourishes than any kind of structured magic trick." Flourshes have sometimes been dismissed by some magicians as juggling--and juggling is an exhibition of skill, not magic--which is what I thought you meant by the phrase "Show-Off Presentation."

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Thanks guys.

The 1st video wasn't edited by myself. I used to work in a holiday resort in 2009 where I did bar, strolling, and night club magic ( my real speciality is close up ), but the directors asked me to a do stage performance once a week. So in 3 days, I put all my ideas that could play OK for stage, and did it. Not super polished, and inexperienced, but somehow the 10 mn performance got good reactions and feedback from the audience and directors. So I kept on doing a bit of stage here and there, and street magic after that.
Some moves are angly, yeah, because I could often afford it on stage or at the bar ( angles are the natural magic of nature, that's my philosophy..)
I don't personally think that my material is outstanding there, as at the time I had only studied prestidigitation for less than 4 years. Many ideas evolved, some were dropped, etc, and But funnily, this video gave me so many gigs and fun opportunities over the years, and usually get good reaction with lay people. Showing it here to magicians was just pure curiosity to see what kind of feedback it would get.

Bairefoot: glad you were entertained.

Bill: My sincere apologies to have bored you. On the video, some takes are from live performances, others have been shooted in the club theater for the purpose of the video, that's why it feels like just a demo without performance. It is in a way . I was a bit puzzled at first on your comments about the lack of structure and showmanship....as it's not shown there. That's how they made the video, very much "show off" style indeed.. So obviously, it's hard to get any idea of how and when each effect is brought up..Truth be told, I had lots of applauds from the 600 people open air theater every week, and excellent feedback from the entertainment team + directors (more than I felt I deserved to be honest, as I was a very immature performer at the time).

I disagree with you on the following:
- Speaking enhance visual magic: not always. Sometimes it does, sometimes silence/ music is stronger. On the contrary, speaking often distract, and many magicians speak far too much in my opinion.( We're talking about stage right? )
- Vanish only can't bring any applause: wrong. With the right technique,timing, body movement, and choreography, you can get strong applause if the vanish is clean. Even with a coin ( not too small of course )
- Street magic: you might doubt those techniques would stop people, I know they do after making a living for 3 years just doing street magic/ prestidigitation. I can guaranty you that several of these techniques DO stop people and make them stay to see more. If ever you come around London, give me a shout, I'll be happy to show you.
- Handwash: yes and No. It's true that in top FISM types performance, this type of hand wash is a bit obsolete and dated. But for real world performance, not at all. It works great when done at the right time, and is super underused ( I do magic for non magicians morning to evening for 7 years in all possible settings ). Try it more if you got the technical arsenal, you'll see.
- a magic trick has a beginning, middle and ending: doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Sounds like a linguistic oversimplification. half baked theory to my ears.

Finally, just for your info, I didn't go through any difficulties to create smoke and light. All the credit goes to the wonderful technical team of Club Med Palmiye who were masters of their craft, and great at creating cool atmospheres with light and smoke. My magic perf set fits in a shoe box and I don't use any of these artifices usually.
Also, mask in the second video is for non-magic professional reasons, too long to explain here. I prefer my face without mask, and so do the ladies.
Thank you for your feedback, and all the best.

Anatole: thanks mate. Similar wavelength. 100% with you in your theory about flourishing, etc.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dafedas B, thanks for your response. Remember, I only have your video, and that is what I was commenting on. You did not provide any of the other credentials to supplement the videos.

As for speaking of a beginning, a middle, and an end. We do not see what comes before the coin produced in your fingers, we only see the middle, the vanish and reproduction. Where do you do next, you pick up say the Sharpie, then vanish and produce that. There has to be something in between those to tricks, as you hands never move from your chest height. Or you have built one heck of a delivery system, and ditch system, going from one item to the next.

I said you moves are excellent, but only lacking structure in this edited video. So we are not seeing what your live audience sees. That is all I am saying.
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Bill, I do understand. Once again, thanks for your feedback.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Dafedas,
SUPER!
I really enjoyed that,..
altho,
it set the expectations of MYSELF
back,
....'bout,
ten miles!

Really good.
Really well done.
A lot of really nice Effects and Techniques here.
In all honesty,
I had to watch the clip,
maybe twenty times(!),
to 'see' everything that was to be seen!
And actually,
I didn't "see" anything(!),
if you know what I mean!
Great!!

Funny, someone mentioned, "hand washing",
I saw, so very little, in the clip(!),..?
One bit, however, at about the 1:10 mark,
the lit cigarette production,
beautiful!
It really inhanced.
Cardini smiled,...I'm sure!

The Coin-Roll, into the Four-Coin Matrix set-up,..(ahh,),
..also,...GREAT!

Besides the Cardwork,
I personally did not see much in the way,
of what I would call "Flourishing".
Personally, I thought it was all pretty much 'in the face' Magic,..
Productions. Vanishes. Transpositions,...one Levitation.

On a curious note,..
personal note,...
how did you go about learning?
,your manipulation?

hey thanks for sharing,..
in about twelve miles,..
I hope to show you something back!
tschüß,
gallagher

p.s.: I find Magic, as well, to be more of a 'visual' Art Form.
'Stripped',...the more 'magical'.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
P.s.: sorry(!),
I forgot to mention,.
your Flip Stick work(!).
ahhhh!
Great!
I find the Flip Stick to be so 'ruined',
by fast jerky motions and movements and weird body-language,..
Your's, I really enjoyed.
A moment of frozen concentration,
audience focus on the prop,...
bammm!
Very fine.

,...an intense 2:50.
gallagher

p.s.s.s.: Watching agian(!),
before unpacking my own Show and hitting the Streets;
it amazes me your Misdirection.
Very good,..
so,..'un-obvious'.
You create interest, expectations,..
then deliver something else,..
somewhere else.
Very good.
It was a pleasure to watch.
A steak for my brain....
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Gallagher: Thanks a lot man, glad you enjoyed. But things will get better!.. still got a lot to learn!..
Feel free to use anything you like of course. All the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Visual effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL