The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Restaurant Residency Question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I am currently negotiating for a second restaurant residency. The general manager I am talking to is ready to accept my proposal, but when I mentioned that I intend to hand out business cards and brochures while I work the restaurant, his comment was that he needs to check with "corporate" to see if handing out my business information is permissable. He tends to think that "corporate" will not allow me to hand out my cards.

I have worked several restaurants in the past and never had a problem with handing out my cards. I also have a current restaurant that I work and they have no problem with me handing out cards.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2241 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Maybe he thinks you're going to solicit your business in his restaurant. Explain to him that you are only going to hand out cards to people who ask, as a matter of convenience, the convenience of his customers that is. But if handing out business cards is a deal breaker I would drop the demand like a hot potato. The gig is more important. Besides, handing out business cards has never been a huge business producer of shows for me anyway.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If his fear of corporate is so great now just wait.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Charlie,
If he doesn't allow it, I'd pass. Distributing business cards is a pretty low risk activity. If "corporate" doesn't allow it, that's not an organization I'd want to work with anyway!

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I think it might depend on your fee and the arrangement you are going in with. Are your two restaurants comparable as to clientele? If after explaining how you plan to hand out materials he still says "not allowed", would he consider a higher fee to compensate.

You might also suggest as an alternative table tents announcing that you are performing there (with your info on the tents, of course), or a nice poster/photo at the cash with some cards in a rack attached. Both of these would be less intrusive to their customers and not seem as though you are directly soliciting his customers.

Blair
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Why would you mention it? It is far simpler to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2015, Skip Way wrote:
Why would you mention it? It is far simpler to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

When dealing with "corporate" often this is not the case LOL!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. As it turns out, I have been hired for this restaurant with the understanding that I will hand out my card or brochure only to those customers who are interested in obtaining one--(makes sense to me). I am meeting with the corporate marketing director on September 21st to discuss their other locations--(they have several other locations throughout the area). Since this could lead, perhaps, to a busy weekly schedule, I will no longer look for an additional restaurant to solicit.

Thanks again to you-all for your comments.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have a serious question. Would you hand them out to people who didn't want them?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have a serious question. Would you hand them out to people who didn't want them?

LOL.....it would be quicker for me to throw my card in the trash myself in that case, because that is where it would end up anyway. LOL. Actually, I am not that interested in handing my card out, but I am, rather, more interested in getting contact information from the people I meet. One way to do this is to ask if they would like some free e-information from me for party planning (my party planner e-book). To send this free-bee to them I need their email address and their permission to use the address to send them my party planner--and ultimately my news letters, press releases etc. Many times when I ask for this, they give me their card anyway (if they have one) and the natural thing to do then is to give them one of my cards. I have more success with this method. If I just hand my card or brochure to someone who expresses an interest, they usually have forgotten all about me as soon as they walk away, and my card ends up in a junk drawer with the rest of the cards they have collected over the years. They might recall me when they have an event coming up, but they won't remember my name and they won't remember where they "filed" my card either. So, they will search on line and maybe they will find me....and maybe they won't. When I have their contact information, though, I can keep reminding them, once a month or so, that I am ready and willing to satisfy their entertainment needs.

Thanks, Charlie
May every day be magic!

charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Charlie - I see you have a wide range of show types. What is the typical type of audience you would be performing for at these restaurants? Is your party planner specific to a particular market, or is it designed to address party planning across the whole spectrum of party types?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9764 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Some interesting answers here. I think part of the problem is the "corporate" aspect, and another is teh fact that most restaurants and more so managers are not used to hiring entertainers and are unfamiliar with some of the process and expectations with these performers I doing so.

Myself, I wouldn't mention it and just find a way to use your business cards (or other items branded with your contact info or CTA) in your tricks, effects or presentations (write something on it, guess whats on the reverse side, silent instructions, drawings, write your name, etc.) which bring them to play and then it's of course very easy to say, you can keep this as a momento, etc.

Some can go as far as getting effects or tricks or a do it yourself trick instructions printed on the backside which again provides a purpose or reason as it being part of your performance. No different that an baloonist using their balloons. Make it part of the magic.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, charliecheckers wrote:
Charlie - I see you have a wide range of show types. What is the typical type of audience you would be performing for at these restaurants? Is your party planner specific to a particular market, or is it designed to address party planning across the whole spectrum of party types?

Yes, I have the capabilty of performing a wide range of show types...developed over the past 20 years or so. My target market right now is children shows. I picked that market because I have mastered the art of entertaining children of all ages (and entertaining the adults in the audience at the same time) plus my thinking is that birthday parties are not seasonal. Even though I target the children, I still end up with shows for adults, seniors, and corporate events due to my networking and word of mouth.

The party planner is geared toward children from the very young up to teen agers. I always tell people this before I send it and I also indicate that some features in the planner can be applied to adult parties too. I also have a much smaller planner which is very generic and simplified which I have made up for those who I know are less interested in the children parties.
May every day be magic!

misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, misterillusion wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, charliecheckers wrote:

Yes, I have the capabilty of performing a wide range of show types...developed over the past 20 years or so. My target market right now is children shows. I picked that market because I have mastered the art of entertaining children of all ages (and entertaining the adults in the audience at the same time) plus my thinking is that birthday parties are not seasonal. Even though I target the children, I still end up with shows for adults, seniors, and corporate events due to my networking and word of mouth.

Both the restaurants I am now booked at are very family oriented. One is an Italian style place which serves beer and the other is a more traditional one which does not serve any kind of alcohol.

The party planner is geared toward children from the very young up to teen agers. I always tell people this before I send it and I also indicate that some features in the planner can be applied to adult parties too. I also have a much smaller planner which is very generic and simplified which I have made up for those who I know are less interested in the children parties.
May every day be magic!

misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Sorry about the double post. I meant to edit not double post
May every day be magic!

misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Some interesting answers here. I think part of the problem is the "corporate" aspect, and another is teh fact that most restaurants and more so managers are not used to hiring entertainers and are unfamiliar with some of the process and expectations with these performers I doing so.

Myself, I wouldn't mention it and just find a way to use your business cards (or other items branded with your contact info or CTA) in your tricks, effects or presentations (write something on it, guess whats on the reverse side, silent instructions, drawings, write your name, etc.) which bring them to play and then it's of course very easy to say, you can keep this as a momento, etc.

Some can go as far as getting effects or tricks or a do it yourself trick instructions printed on the backside which again provides a purpose or reason as it being part of your performance. No different that an baloonist using their balloons. Make it part of the magic.

Very shrewd idea. I like the way you think. I have one trick I do which is very effective in achieving this. It is a three card monte where the "money" card starts out as a regular card, but at the reveal, is actually my business card on a playing card. It always gets a great reaction and they go home with the "momento". I like this idea very much.
--Charlie
May every day be magic!

Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9764 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Glad you like it Charlie. We don't talk about it much but there are times and places where our business and our performance elements can combine to offer several benefits to us on different levels. Things like this, proper (not blatant) selling from the stage and other things can be a great and impactive solution. Same with kids coloring sheets, BOR items, etc.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That's thinking like a magician.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Glad you like it Charlie. We don't talk about it much but there are times and places where our business and our performance elements can combine to offer several benefits to us on different levels. Things like this, proper (not blatant) selling from the stage and other things can be a great and impactive solution. Same with kids coloring sheets, BOR items, etc.

I couldn't agree more. I know that people do not like being "sold", so this really is a great soft-sell. I also use coloring sheets, Mister Illusion dollars (with magic tricks on the back) and other give-aways. It is difficult to determine what the ROI is, but I know for a fact that it has created contacts and paid shows for me.

Thanks, mindpro for your comments now and the help you have given me in the past

Charlie
May every day be magic!

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you guys really think people don't know they are being sold? Isn't that underestimating people just a bit?

This is the stuff that frustrates me so much about magicians.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Restaurant Residency Question (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL