The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE FINAL SAY IN A FACEBOOK PREDICTION TRICK (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Riggs wrote:
I am very proud of Posted, because its a strong effect.

That's great.

Quote:
You have the notion that the way its presented 'using a cellphone' or 'social media' that the magic is somehow lessened because of this.

It's my OPINION, not a notion. We have different opinions. And that is cool Daddio!

Quote:
When in fact,Posted is correctly presented your using the cellphone and social media as a vessel to get from point A to point B.

Sure, a vessel that is a $800 portable computer which has the potential to do anything, like alter a facebook post.

Quote:
With any mentalism effect its the reveal that matters,

The reveal is probably the least important part of mentalism in my opinion. Character, script, and WHY you are doing it is MUCH more important.

Quote:
2 billion people in 2015 use social media

I don't.

And more people use paper. So, paper is good enough for me.

Quote:
A group of teens that live on social media will freak over Posted than a group of senior citizens, and that's where an envelope prediction would go well. Smile

Yeah, teenagers are totally unfamiliar with paper.

Look, I get it. You're proud of your release and that's lovely. Well done. But don't be so disparaging of people that disagree with you. Don't suggest I'm wrong or have 'notions'.

I don't think you're 'wrong'. If your character, script and the reason for you to have the ability to predict the future on facebook is strong, the method, the reveal, the whatever doesn't matter one jot. The real key to mentalism is your explanation of why you are doing what you are doing. I don't think if I could predict the future I would make a facebook post about it. Everyone could see on my timeline and would get confused over it. I'd post "Thanks for picking France, I hope you enjoy the snails and you look lovely in the green dress" and have hundreds of people post "WTF are you going on about" in reply to me.

Then 6 hours (ahem) later show someone I predicted the things they would select. Just makes no sense. *TO ME*. If you can pull it off, brilliant. I applaud you. But, don't say I am close (sic) minded, wrong, and have 'notions' just because I have the audacity to disagree with you.
Riggs
View Profile
New user
Missouri
26 Posts

Profile of Riggs
I thought we were having a pleasant debate on our views. I actually really enjoyed going in deeper with you on this. For the record, I wasn't taking anything offensive and I do realize their will always be the purists that want to stay within traditional magic. But it was really awesome to share, and read where you stood.
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
I used my $800 device to look up closed minded here is what I found, "having a mind firmly unreceptive to new ideas or arguments"

I am sorry you are offended but, I just call it how I see it (or read it in this case). I can easily say that I am ignorant in many regards when it comes to magic, but if you read enough books (which I have) you get to knowing many if not all the basic principles of magic. after that it is a matter of presentation, which is what you, Riggs and I have actually agreed on. I even used a scenario where I would use an envelope as my presentation method! Anyway, these types of scenarios are the reason I rarely get into any sort of online forum discussion because the case is that you usually have someone that is "stuck in their ways" or is a "purist" or whatever your reasoning is (AKA closed-minded)and it leads down a rabbit hole with a back-and-forth about my way is better because....
FYI- I too do not like social media. I do not have Twitter, I just opened my FB back up so I can give this effect a try. Honestly, I may not like the method and may report back that it is something that I would not do, I'll know and report back soon Smile

Thank everyone for your input on my post in the end we can disagree to disagree.
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
Received my copy...Initial thought....I said REALLY! then the ideas started rolling in. Will take time this evening to get a small routine together and really read/watch the material. if you are into social media even though it is only my initial thought I recommend it. You will however say... "why didn't I think of that!"

Will report back tomorrow
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Can the audience look on their own phones to see the predicted tweet?
Riggs
View Profile
New user
Missouri
26 Posts

Profile of Riggs
No not possible.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
So really there's no actual social media benefit to this... You'd want the prediction to be on your business page so that they go there on their phone, see the prediction and then "like" your page.
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
Quick update... just did this in an impromptu situation....
GF happens to work in same building as me. She IM'ed me via our internal IM system and said that she had gotten me a coffee. I told her I already knew that and I posted it on twitter in the middle of the night just in case it happened, as I wanted to had proof of it. Went, got my coffee, showed her my post, and asked here when it was posted she confirmed it stated 6 hrs ago...
Reactions: she was so confused and is still IM'ing me that she is confused, and how did I do that. She did ask that there must be some way you can change the time of the post--I know what you are thinking Looky-look "I told you so", but this is my GF and she is always thinking that I am about to do a magic trick, even when I am not, she does not the typical "layman'--
I did however confirm that there is a way but you can see a little time clock of when the edit occurred, IMO makes the effect even stronger--this method does not leave a trace on the actual post that the time was changed.

I did play off the fact the Oz inspired me (we caught the Finale on AGT last night)

More to come Smile
Riggs
View Profile
New user
Missouri
26 Posts

Profile of Riggs
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, PatrickGregoire wrote:
So really there's no actual social media benefit to this... You'd want the prediction to be on your business page so that they go there on their phone, see the prediction and then "like" your page.

There is ways you can generate traffic using Posted. but its not really something that I would offer as a suitable way. It involves dual reality, and making your account private blah blah stuff like that.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, jruiz0216 wrote:
GF happens to work in same building as me. She IM'ed me via our internal IM system and said that she had gotten me a coffee. I told her I already knew that and I posted it on twitter in the middle of the night just in case it happened, as I wanted to had proof of it. Went, got my coffee, showed her my post, and asked here when it was posted she confirmed it stated 6 hrs ago...
Reactions: she was so confused and is still IM'ing me that she is confused, and how did I do that. She did ask that there must be some way you can change the time of the post--I know what you are thinking Looky-look "I told you so", but this is my GF and she is always thinking that I am about to do a magic trick, even when I am not, she does not the typical "layman'--
I did however confirm that there is a way but you can see a little time clock of when the edit occurred, IMO makes the effect even stronger--this method does not leave a trace on the actual post that the time was changed.

I did play off the fact the Oz inspired me (we caught the Finale on AGT last night)

More to come Smile

Of course she thought that. It is what anyone would think. It's the main problem with the idea. Aside from the fact you have to use your own $800 hand held computer to do it.

So, *why* did you do it? What power were you demonstrating? What was the rationale behind your character being able to predict something so mundane and how did you justify the fact you'd put it on Twitter (although I thought it was facebook trick).

Do you often perform hours after receiving a trick? Usually takes me months and months to work out the wrinkles before I show anyone. Maybe if you'd spent more time on your rationale and presentation she wouldn't have immediately worked out the method...food for thought.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
I guess that's where the characters come in play. Imagine if Darren Brown is the one who reveal the timeline? The reaction might be totally different, IMO. I don't mean that this effect is only can be use by Pro. But, for the rest of us-- we've got to create a backbone brick by brick (if you know what I mean) create the background from the ground up. And at the end the reveal will hit them hard. No matter what utilities we use (paper in envelope or facebook on the phone). Without a solid background all reveals will end up being a puzzle and most people react to puzzle by solving them or guessing them. Just my thought, though. I never meant to give negative comments or something.
Riggs
View Profile
New user
Missouri
26 Posts

Profile of Riggs
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, daniltan wrote:
I guess that's where the characters come in play. Imagine if Darren Brown is the one who reveal the timeline? The reaction might be totally different, IMO. I don't mean that this effect is only can be use by Pro. But, for the rest of us-- we've got to create a backbone brick by brick (if you know what I mean) create the background from the ground up. And at the end the reveal will hit them hard. No matter what utilities we use (paper in envelope or facebook on the phone). Without a solid background all reveals will end up being a puzzle and most people react to puzzle by solving them or guessing them. Just my thought, though. I never meant to give negative comments or something.

This is not a negative comment at all... this is how you get away with magic. Your audience has to believe what you are doing is what you are doing. And weather your new or a pro this is what it really boils down to. But the beauty of magic is individuality, what works for one may not work for the other. I always compare music to magic. In music there's two ways to receive it: you listen to lyrics from the artist, or you listen to life from the artist. You can always tell when a musician is singing from the heart with conviction and experience. When you have that artist it leaves no room for question. But when the artist is just signing lyrics, there's no connection. SO that's what I try to push in any magician. Let your magic be you. If you are a flashy presenter then present Posted flashy, if you require 45 minute presentation then bring it on. You have to believe that 3 hours ago I posted something on my facebook... and go from there. If you audience believes that, then weather it takes you 5 mins or 50 min presentation, it doesn't matter, because your not singing lyrics anymore.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, LookyLookyMan wrote:
Quote:

More to come Smile

Of course she thought that. It is what anyone would think. It's the main problem with the idea. Aside from the fact you have to use your own $800 hand held computer to do it.

So, *why* did you do it? What power were you demonstrating? What was the rationale behind your character being able to predict something so mundane and how did you justify the fact you'd put it on Twitter (although I thought it was facebook trick).

Do you often perform hours after receiving a trick? Usually takes me months and months to work out the wrinkles before I show anyone. Maybe if you'd spent more time on your rationale and presentation she wouldn't have immediately worked out the method...food for thought.

No offense, but you seem to be the one who can't find a reason to perform this. You are pointing fingers at everyone else, yet you are the one complaining about all of these "issues" that could be solved with some thought in routining.

For example, you made a comment about everyone seeing on your Facebook wall something completely random which would be strange. That's why you shouldn't use it for something completely random.. Make a post that makes sense. Mine says, "Just played three rounds of darts out at the bar, got a total score of ___ (whatever the number is)"

I also take their arm as they hold an imaginary dart, and guide them as they throw it. Asking them to imagine seeing exactly where it hit. When it is revealed that I had the same score, this is an example of synchronicity.

All it takes is thought and routining. There's unlimited possibilities. All of these complaints you are making are due to the fact that you haven't purchased, or practiced the effect. So no need to start mentoring everyone else about something you yourself haven't put much thought into.
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
I will only comment on what is relevant to this effect.

1. Don't we all carry around an $800 computer"? if you don't then I can pretty confidently say that you in the minority. The main point is that anyone can try and back track and even try to change the post time. They will see that it is not possible without giving that particular post a little icon showing that the time was changed.

2. I thought that I gave my reasoning. I woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to have proof somehow in case she didn't believe we (that is a summary of my reasoning, not how I presented it though). That may not be the best use of it but it worked for my audience (my GF) in this particular case.

3. No I do not sir Smile actually I have 2-3 effects that I have not yet tried on laymen (not even the GF) because I am still practicing on the full routine, outs and other nuances. This method is easy to perform within minutes of getting it. For people that already do mentalism I am pretty sure that you all could adapt whatever you already had and use social Media as the reveal/prediction, IMO. She was shocked, her reactions were genuine, once again she had an initial idea on how it COULD be done but it is NOT, I repeat, NOT the method. She reached out to me later that day and said that I was right, it does show that a post was edited when you change the time. My posts to show the reveal do NOT. Why did I do it so quickly after getting it 2 main reasons. It is that easy to perform and the opportunity presented itself. I love doing opportunistic magic/mentalism, where the situation presents itself.

Looky-Look is not for you I get that, but it does not mean that it is a bad method, it's just a different way to accomplish something.
You can continue to use envelopes and get your great reactions. I'll use both methods, use them according to MY situation and get great reactions too.

Good day all

Quote:
Quote:

More to come Smile

LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, daniltan wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Which is probably why our friend's girlfriend immediately worked out the method. He'd had the instructions for what, a day or so before he tried it. No thought into any of those "bricks". Shame.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, Riggs wrote:
This is not a negative comment at all... this is how you get away with magic. Your audience has to believe what you are doing is what you are doing.

Gosh, no. Just no. Derren starts every show saying (essentially) he is about to cheat.

I would feel sick to my stomach if my audience actually thought I had real powers.

What I DO want, is them to suspend their disbelief for a few minutes and then you get them to experience the feeling that just maybe what they saw was real. They know it wasn't, like when the child is older and sees the chomped carrot and empty glass of sherry on Christmas morning. But that evidence that Santa had been, gives him a little hope that just maybe, just maybe Santa is real.

That's what I aim for. I call it Father Christmas Eyes. When you get that reaction where they look at you as if they are thinking 'did that really just happen'.

But actually think it is real? No. Absolutely not.
Riggs
View Profile
New user
Missouri
26 Posts

Profile of Riggs
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Which is probably why our friend's girlfriend immediately worked out the method. He'd had the instructions for what, a day or so before he tried it. No thought into any of those "bricks". Shame.

She didn't know the method at all, she assumed and that's not knowing or have a working method. As a spectator we can assume what was done but that doesn't mean you're right. It's all speculation and logic but in the end she was still fooled.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, TheDirectionalist wrote:
No offense, but you seem to be the one who can't find a reason to perform this. You are pointing fingers at everyone else, yet you are the one complaining about all of these "issues" that could be solved with some thought in routining.

For example, you made a comment about everyone seeing on your Facebook wall something completely random which would be strange. That's why you shouldn't use it for something completely random.. Make a post that makes sense. Mine says, "Just played three rounds of darts out at the bar, got a total score of ___ (whatever the number is)"

I also take their arm as they hold an imaginary dart, and guide them as they throw it. Asking them to imagine seeing exactly where it hit. When it is revealed that I had the same score, this is an example of synchronicity.

All it takes is thought and routining. There's unlimited possibilities. All of these complaints you are making are due to the fact that you haven't purchased, or practiced the effect. So no need to start mentoring everyone else about something you yourself haven't put much thought into.

So what power are you demonstrating? That you can predict the future? OK, why can you? What's the back story? Why do you need to do it on a website on a $800 computer that is in your hand?

Saying you thought of throwing some darts does nothing whatsoever to sell the effect. It's not syncronicity, it's a prediction. A prediction that for some reason you chose to post in public on Facebook. Why did you do that?

Do you get it? WHY WHY WHY! That is the question we must answer. Like Derren being punched at school and now if you slap his face he can count buttons quickly. That is the WHY. Why are you using darts, why did you predict it on Facebook.

Hope you understand now.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, jruiz0216 wrote:
I will only comment on what is relevant to this effect.

Shame, the discussion is just getting interesting. It's what happens on the internet. Things branch off sometimes.

Quote:
1. Don't we all carry around an $800 computer"? if you don't then I can pretty confidently say that you in the minority.

Actually only 64% of Americans do. http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/04/01/us......in-2015/ (so yes, the minority, but only just)

Quote:
The main point is that anyone can try and back track and even try to change the post time. They will see that it is not possible without giving that particular post a little icon showing that the time was changed.

Right, so the first thought is that you can change the post time. Which you can, which is how the effect works. Whether they can do it without a little icon or not is not really the point. The method (that you can post something and alter the time) is the obvious (and correct) conclusion anyone would come to.

Quote:
2. I thought that I gave my reasoning. I woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to have proof somehow in case she didn't believe we (that is a summary of my reasoning, not how I presented it though). That may not be the best use of it but it worked for my audience (my GF) in this particular case.

But it didn't work. She guessed immediately you said?

Quote:
3. No I do not sir Smile actually I have 2-3 effects that I have not yet tried on laymen (not even the GF) because I am still practicing on the full routine, outs and other nuances. This method is easy to perform within minutes of getting it.

When you have a little more experience you'll realise that the method is the least important part of selling mentalism convincingly. In fact, most mentalism methods are painfully easy and could be done within minutes of reading the instructions. However, to perform it WELL takes thinking and time. Which you didn't do, which is almost certainly why you got busted.

Quote:
Looky-Look is not for you I get that, but it does not mean that it is a bad method,

Indeed not. What makes it a bad method is a) you have to post something on facebook in public b) you have to use a $800 hand held computer to do it and c) (and this is the worst part of all) it has to be YOUR $800 hand held computer.

The fact I don't like it definately doesn't mean it is bad. The reasons above do. In. My. Opinion.

If you like it, that is freaking awesome. Knock yourself out. Do it all the time. Relish doing it and jump with joy each time you do so. God give you good of it.
Riggs
View Profile
New user
Missouri
26 Posts

Profile of Riggs
Quote:

So what power are you demonstrating? That you can predict the future? OK, why can you? What's the back story? Why do you need to do it on a website on a $800 computer that is in your hand?

Saying you thought of throwing some darts does nothing whatsoever to sell the effect. It's not syncronicity, it's a prediction. A prediction that for some reason you chose to post in public on Facebook. Why did you do that?

Do you get it? WHY WHY WHY! That is the question we must answer. Like Derren being punched at school and now if you slap his face he can count buttons quickly. That is the WHY. Why are you using darts, why did you predict it on Facebook.

Hope you understand now.

Everything in magic has a reason and purpose. Why do you have someone sign a card, to avoid duplicates. Why do you use a borrowed deck, to avoid trick decks. etc etc. I don't understand your stance on revealing something using facebook. You don't want to use it because it automatically draws the connection to technology and that takes away the magic. I believe that is what you are trying to say. How facebook works you post something and then it shows when it was posted, in all essence you can convince your audience that you posted their thoughts hours ago. In a fair manner. That's no different then having a post marked letter and using that as a reveal. I use facebook weather you like to believe it or not, because its the norm. SO why use facebook? Cause everybody that uses it understands the rules and boundaries of it. You edit the post it shows, you change the time on the post it shows. Without any evidence of the post being tampered with then theirs no room for technology to be the answer. You really think when people see an envelope with a prediction in it that they believe the prediction was in the envelope the whole time. Everything will have its draw backs man, weather you have to do a letter switch, nail write or use a cellphone. Time and place for each effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE FINAL SAY IN A FACEBOOK PREDICTION TRICK (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL