The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE FINAL SAY IN A FACEBOOK PREDICTION TRICK (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2015, LookyLookyMan wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2015, TheDirectionalist wrote:

I already answered your question

No you didn't. You said something about darts. That doesn't explain why you need to post the prediction on a social media site.

No idea why you're getting so het up? Unless it's because you've realised you have no answer to my question and are just frustrated because you realise I'm right?

Either way, no need for your tone. We can discuss something without such rudeness, surely?

So, when you're doing your dart thing, what do you tell your audience to explain why you had to post it on social media and why you can only look at that on your phone?
I already told you the answers to those questions and you keep ignoring them and trying to say that's not an answer when in reality it is. You have a poor defense when you keep saying, "I'm right you're wrong no matter what you say!" You're coming off as immature. You've stated your opinion so why do you feel the need to drag this on and on?

I've already stated that the way I perform it is not a prediction and has a logical reasoning behind posting it on social media. This isn't something I'd perform in a professional setting, just a casual impromptu performance.

As I've already told you like 3 times, it's synchronicity. Meaningful coincidence.
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Sigh, We seem to be getting into a discussion about Teleology now, Only in your mind is a pencil and paper the only suitable method of writing down a thought.

Social "media"

Media are the collective communication outlets or tools that are used to store and deliver information or data.

There are over 41,000 posts a second on Facebook, its a relevant media.

I never carry paper and pen , I do carry a "$800" computer around. It makes sense to use this media. For an informal performance this makes sense, Would I do this for a formal performance, nope. Please don't make me explain context to you either.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
I already told you the answers to those questions and you keep ignoring them and trying to say that's not an answer when in reality it is.

You didn't. but never mind. I am guessing English isn't your first language and you simply don't understand. I am trying to work out if you can justify WHY you posted a prediction on a social media site. What about your power means that is the way you have to do the reveal. But really, you seem to be getting awfully upset about it all, so just don't worry.

Quote:
You have a poor defense when you keep saying, "I'm right you're wrong no matter what you say!"

I've never said that, nor anything like that.

Quote:
You're coming off as immature. You've stated your opinion so why do you feel the need to drag this on and on?

I'm just trying to work out if there is a plausible reason for justifying using social media and your own computer to do a reveal. Seems there isn't and me asking you about it is really annoying you for some reason. Not to worry. Just ignore me. Maybe someone else has worked out a justification.

Quote:
I've already stated that the way I perform it is not a prediction and has a logical reasoning behind posting it on social media.

I don't think you have, but again, not to worry. It's no biggy. Certainly nothing to get as annoyed over as you seemingly are, friend.

Quote:
As I've already told you like 3 times, it's synchronicity. Meaningful coincidence.

Yes, that's your performance angle, but it's not a justification for posting your "proof" on the internet.

But, again, it really doesn't matter and certainly isn't worth getting annoyed over.

Breathe in good, breathe out hate. Boom shanka.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2015, migwar wrote:
Sigh, We seem to be getting into a discussion about Teleology now, Only in your mind is a pencil and paper the only suitable method of writing down a thought.

Never said that. It would lead to a more meaningful conversation about the back story behind the powers we demonstrate if you actually take what I did say and post a counterpoint. Arguing against things I didn't say is a tad silly, isn't it?

Quote:
Media are the collective communication outlets or tools that are used to store and deliver information or data.

You're good at using wikipedia, aren't you!

Quote:

Where do I suggest otherwise? Again, try to respond to the things I actually say.

Quote:
I never carry paper and pen , I do carry a "$800" computer around.

Cool.

Quote:
Please don't make me explain context to you either.

It seems everyone is struggling coming up with the context, or excuse for using a computer and social media and their own phone. I don't blame you for not being able to either. It's a hard problem to solve. Like Derren with the face slapping. Nyman came up with that for him and it is genius. I wonder what plausible reason one could create for needing to predict something on a website, and then having to use your own computer to access that website. And, if you are doing it informally, for friends, your excuse for rapidly deleting that post. And indeed, if they are friends, what you do to make sure they don't read the original time stamped post before you perform.

Presentation. It's tricky!
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
A plausible reason?

To people today writing something on social media is absolutely the same as writing it on a bit of paper.

Using your own phone makes sense as it's always on you. I wouldn't expect a stranger to let me handle their phone.
CJ_Magic205
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of CJ_Magic205
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, daniltan wrote:
Nope, I wouldn't go up until 6 hours.

That's not really the point, but never mind.

Quote:
Why on facebook? You can do it with Twitter too. But, I'm using Facebook-- On daily basis. So, I know what they will feel about this effect.

Again, you wholly misunderstand. Let me give you a clear example, one I have already posted, but never mind. Derren can very quickly count buttons when slapped in the face. That is the effect he is demonstrating. He explains WHY he can do this with a story about being bullied at school.

So, I ask you again, WHY are you predicting something on facebook, or twitter, or tumblr, or snapchat, or ANY social media.

In order to make mentalism convincing you have to answer the WHY CAN I DO THIS? I don't think any of you that are saying you like this effect can answer that question with anything that even vaguely resembles a sensible answer.

I think the draw to Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat is that so many people use it and are familiar with it. I'm in College, and predicting something on Facebook hours earlier is, in my experience, more powerful than a sealed envelope, because, in laymen's (keep in mind, young generation I'm talking about here) minds, Facebook is way more familiar and steadfast than an envelope. I pull out a sealed envelope with a prediction, people automatically think its a tricky envelope magicians use, because they don't see envelopes in that context very often (At least the people I perform for don't). However, they know, in depth, how Facebook works, they use it and see people posting statuses/pictures/etc every single day, so its more familiar to them.

In my own experience, I've never had someone say that it was the technology that created the magic. The $800 computer doesn't even come into question, because its such an everyday object (again, I'm at College, so its a special circumstance). Facebook doesn't come into question, either, because its so commonplace. I agree with Lookylookman on almost all your points, I really do, I'm a strong believer in presentation, plot and character far over the effect being presented. However, I've gotten "Can I see the envelope?" far, far more frequently than "you did something on your phone to change the time."

I understand I am most likely performing for a very different demographic with a vastly different experience with cellphones, however, that's just my experience, and I've done both.
CJ_Magic205
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of CJ_Magic205
Quote:
A plausible reason?

To people today writing something on social media is absolutely the same as writing it on a bit of paper.

Using your own phone makes sense as it's always on you. I wouldn't expect a stranger to let me handle their phone.

This is the point I was trying to make. I think both sides have very valid points, and I agree with Lookylookman's points almost entirely, I'm much more of a fan of strong script and character and premise than a mind-blowing effect, especially if that effect has no WHY. In my experience, though, Facebook and cellphones are just as common as pieces of paper (sad, but true in today's world), and I think that's your "why" just as much as a sealed envelope is your "why"
CJ_Magic205
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of CJ_Magic205
Quote:
Quote:

Never said that. It would lead to a more meaningful conversation about the back story behind the powers we demonstrate if you actually take what I did say and post a counterpoint. Arguing against things I didn't say is a tad silly, isn't it?

Quote:

You're good at using wikipedia, aren't you!

Quote:

Where do I suggest otherwise? Again, try to respond to the things I actually say.

Quote:
I never carry paper and pen , I do carry a "$800" computer around.

Cool.

Quote:
Please don't make me explain context to you either.

It seems everyone is struggling coming up with the context, or excuse for using a computer and social media and their own phone. I don't blame you for not being able to either. It's a hard problem to solve. Like Derren with the face slapping. Nyman came up with that for him and it is genius. I wonder what plausible reason one could create for needing to predict something on a website, and then having to use your own computer to access that website. And, if you are doing it informally, for friends, your excuse for rapidly deleting that post. And indeed, if they are friends, what you do to make sure they don't read the original time stamped post before you perform.

Presentation. It's tricky!

Didn't see this before I posted. I agree, actually. You're right in the sense that it isn't necessarily the most logical to predict something on social media. However, and I really am curious, I'm not trying to start any sort of negative debate, I just really would like to know your opinion, what makes it less plausible or more "odd" to use a phone than a piece of paper? With your friends, I see the point you're making there. However, the way I look at it if I'm performing this for someone in the school Caféteria, its much more organic and logical to pull out a phone than a sealed prediction. I'd like to get your thoughts on this, as I'm relatively new to magic and I'm interested in hearing another viewpoint and learning as much as I can.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
My friends would be asking me non-stop where I got an envelope and why I am using it. They would automatically suspect something was amiss. But my iPhone and Facebook or Twitter? No, it's something that they use every single day. To say that using social media to post a prediction is weird, I don't understand. Using an envelope and a piece of paper for a prediction would be weird to most people I know, it's something grandma would do. They associate paper and envelopes to writing a letter to someone, not for magic or mentalism, it's just not what they are used for on a daily basis for by 99.9% of our human population.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, I wouldn't go up until 6 hours.

That's not really the point, but never mind.

Quote:
Why on facebook? You can do it with Twitter too. But, I'm using Facebook-- On daily basis. So, I know what they will feel about this effect.

Again, you wholly misunderstand. Let me give you a clear example, one I have already posted, but never mind. Derren can very quickly count buttons when slapped in the face. That is the effect he is demonstrating. He explains WHY he can do this with a story about being bullied at school.

So, I ask you again, WHY are you predicting something on facebook, or twitter, or tumblr, or snapchat, or ANY social media.

In order to make mentalism convincing you have to answer the WHY CAN I DO THIS? I don't think any of you that are saying you like this effect can answer that question with anything that even vaguely resembles a sensible answer.

I'm struggling to understand, really. You kept on asking about Facebook. But, (you posted) you don't have a Facebook account. That's why I post the Twitter thing. I've said my reason, but it seem like you can't accept it. I use Facebook on daily basis. For more than 5 hours a day, everyday. Why not I use Facebook? And I know many people also use Facebook like me (more or less), so I can easily share my view point to them. You don't have (or deleted) your Facebook account. Maybe, that's why it's so hard for you to accept this.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2015, CJ_Magic205 wrote:

Didn't see this before I posted. I agree, actually. You're right in the sense that it isn't necessarily the most logical to predict something on social media. However, and I really am curious, I'm not trying to start any sort of negative debate, I just really would like to know your opinion, what makes it less plausible or more "odd" to use a phone than a piece of paper? With your friends, I see the point you're making there. However, the way I look at it if I'm performing this for someone in the school Caféteria, its much more organic and logical to pull out a phone than a sealed prediction. I'd like to get your thoughts on this, as I'm relatively new to magic and I'm interested in hearing another viewpoint and learning as much as I can.

You need to think about what power you are demonstrating and what gave you that power and how it manifests itself.

Something about the power forces you to use facebook. Not a notes app, not an email, but Facebook. Why?

If you can justify that, it could be a strong effect, apart from the whole "hang on while I delete this because you are my friend and would see the real time stamp of the message, and indeed possibly have already read the message at the correct time" issue.

Add to that the fact that you are using a computer to do the reveal, so people would assume you can manipulate the data. If you take out a school book, write something down, hand it to someone, then do your routine, they will not think you can alter what you wrote down and they have been holding onto.

Hope that clarifies my view. It's not right, nor wrong, it's just my opinion.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
A plausible reason?

It isn't. All your friends see what you write on facebook. No one sees what you wrote on paper.

Quote:

Tell that to all the people performing IUnlockYourMind, EarWorm, Inject, etc etc.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, daniltan wrote:

I'm struggling to understand, really. You kept on asking about Facebook. But, (you posted) you don't have a Facebook account. That's why I post the Twitter thing. I've said my reason, but it seem like you can't accept it. I use Facebook on daily basis. For more than 5 hours a day, everyday. Why not I use Facebook? And I know many people also use Facebook like me (more or less), so I can easily share my view point to them. You don't have (or deleted) your Facebook account. Maybe, that's why it's so hard for you to accept this.

I really don't know how many other ways I can say the same thing. What is it about your power that forces you to make the prediction on facebook? Rather than the notes app, a piece of paper, the back of your hand, etc etc.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, LookyLookyMan wrote:
Quote:
A plausible reason?

It isn't. All your friends see what you write on facebook. No one sees what you wrote on paper.

Quote:

Tell that to all the people performing IUnlockYourMind, EarWorm, Inject, etc etc.

Not all my friends see everything I post on Facebook, it's clear you don't understand how it works.
As for tricks involving spectators phones I can see the appeal, personally I'm uncomfortable with people handling my phone, So I wouldn't borrow someone elses. In a similar way I'm uncomforable with using spectators rings for ring flights

Also in a prediction effect, Why does his power have to dictate which medium it was recorded on, Its a just record of a statement about the future.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, migwar wrote:
Not all my friends see everything I post on Facebook, it's clear you don't understand how it works.

I understand exactly how it works. There is an algo that decides what to show you based on your interaction. You can also manually impact that algo deliberately. That makes it worse, doesn't it. You'll have no idea before you perform the trick if the person has seen your status update prediction or not, so will either know or not know if you are lying.

Quote:
Also in a prediction effect, Why does his power have to dictate which medium it was recorded on

Oh it doesn't HAVE to. Just like you don't need to think about character, backstory, script or blocking. However, if you do, it makes the effect go from meh to miracle. You clearly don't understand how this works Smile

Quote:
Its a just record of a statement about the future.

Facebook isn't used for recording (then hastily deleting) statements about the future. This is why it is incongruous. Facebook is used for posting pictures of your food, your baby, your cat or some Minion meme or candy crush sage etc. If it WAS traditionally used for making statements about the future, it wouldn't feel so odd.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
I have hastily deleted lots of things on Facebook!!

Recent posts on Facebook - "I'm meeting X for lunch tonight" " I'm going to win big at the races tonight" " I think Bears will whip Patriots butts in the game tonight" Facebook is full of predictions

Conflating the medium used to character, scrips and blocking makes no sense in this context. Its like saying my character would never use a pencil, he must use rollball. Its invisible compromise.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
Conflating the medium used to character, scrips and blocking makes no sense in this context. Its like saying my character would never use a pencil, he must use rollball. Its invisible compromise.

Actually, the difference between a character using a pen and pencil is vast. The devil is in the details. You'd be amazed what people pick up without even realising it and how that helps frame your character as a whole.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:

I understand exactly how it works. There is an algo that decides what to show you based on your interaction. You can also manually impact that algo deliberately. That makes it worse, doesn't it. You'll have no idea before you perform the trick if the person has seen your status update prediction or not, so will either know or not know if you are lying.

You say you understand exactly how it works and then over the next four sentences prove that you don't know how it works.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, barts185 wrote:
Quote:

You say you understand exactly how it works and then over the next four sentences prove that you don't know how it works.

That would be a very interesting point if it was true. But sadly, it isn't. I explained exactly how it works.

Read up on it, http://kitemedia.co/what-determines-whic......imeline/

You're welcome.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2015, LookyLookyMan wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, barts185 wrote:
Quote:

That would be a very interesting point if it was true. But sadly, it isn't. I explained exactly how it works.

Read up on it, http://kitemedia.co/what-determines-whic......imeline/

You're welcome.

First - nothing has changed on Facebook since 2012, right? Smile Smile

Second, even if my timeline worked that way (for which you provide absolutely no proof, just speculation and a link to another article that offers more speculation), now explain how any of that would allow someone to see something which I (or my accomplice) write on my timeline while I am performing this in real-time and it's not on my timeline for them to see prior to the start of the effect.

Or admit that you are wrong (not holding my breath).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE FINAL SAY IN A FACEBOOK PREDICTION TRICK (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL