The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Continuous production of billiard balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I recently saw a video in which the magician performed the perpetual (or continuous) production of billiard balls. Most texts or videos I've seen on this move show the hands upright (near the performer's face), whereas this performer kept his hands more at waist level (the right hand was stationary in front of the body, "producing" the balls, while the left hand moved back and forth from the right hand (removing the visible ball) to the left trouser pocket (where he apparently placed it). This looked more natural to me than the usual "upright" maneuver. Can anyone direct me to a source that details this particular variation of the move?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It would be nice if you referenced the video link, so we can see what you seen.

What you are talking about is not technique, but "handling" and "position". In todays manipulations, most have to be performed closer then in the old days when these moves were invented. Not many theater stages for us to use today. If you listen to some of the videos and books, they do mention, that most Manipulation today, should be done in front of the body, and not out to the side as when on stage. None that I have seen, except the lattes videos from the orient, show this positioning. They just advise to adjust the position for yourself, in other words, work it out on your own.

That is why I watch other manipulator's perform, not so much for what they are doing, but how they are showing it to the audience. If you know the basics of a move, it is not difficult to see how repositioning the arms and hands, can be accomplished. You really need a video to explanation to tell you that the same move can be done this way, as well as the old way.

The continuous ball productions can be done in 3 methods, Loop Ball, Hole Ball, and standard acquitments.

That is all I can say, without seeing the video.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
That's part of my problem - I can't find the video (which I saw on youtube). I've been playing around with it, though, and think I've been able to recreate it. I just thought that if this were a standard move, I could double-check to see if I'm doing it correctly.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The continuous production of balls, as far as I know, was the PERPETUAL BALLS, sold by Percy Abbott in 1950. I've been doing it since then.

I BELIEVE that the concept was started by a magician in Michigan who did the effect with (wooden) cigars. It has been done with rubber 'hot dogs' (with a fish "finish". Prop bananas, also.

I have always done it with hands at just above waist level. Abbott's still sells the instructions, I believe it's $5.00.

IMO, the variation would be holding the hands near the face!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1461 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Tommy wonder has some handling on this in both his lecture notes (early years) and in his books (volume 1)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3385 Posts

Profile of Julie
[quote]On Sep 14, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
...I BELIEVE that the concept was started by a magician in Michigan who did the effect with (wooden) cigars. It has been done with rubber 'hot dogs' (with a fish "finish". Prop bananas, also...

I recall the hot dogs with the fish ending was/is Dick Stoner's
EENIE MEANEE WIENEE(sp?) routine. His store is in Indiana & online.

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Stoner's Eenie Meanee Wienee trick has not been available for many many years. The rubber hot dogs are no longer made. I still have one in my collection.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3385 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Bill

Foam production hot dogs are available now. Perhaps one could cut the string apart into separate hot dogs and do this trick?

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I talked to Dick Stoner about the alternatives, and he is very firm on only the best rubber item being used. He will not look at even having anything made. It is cost thing as well. I have did many projects for him over the years. You just have to understand his position.

The current hot dog gag from China is a hard plastic, will not work for this trick. The color is also not correct. The original prank item was so good it actually looked like a real hot dog.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
What do you think of the handling by Raymond Crowe in THIS VIDEO ?

The perpetual balls begin at the 2:30 mark.

I cannot believe that this is from almost 20 years ago. Where does the time go?
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Raymond Crowe's routine is fantastic, but his perpetual ball handling is the one that I've traditionally seen. As for the version I referred to in my original post, the closest anyone on this thread has come to it is Tommy Wonder's version (actually in Book Two of the Books of Wonder), but even Tommy's was slightly different...
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Levente covers the methods for this in his DVD set "The Ultimate Guide to Billiard Ball Magic". A great DVD set (Three)

Riley
Bodgit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Bodgit
Romaine teaches and demonstrates the perpetual production at waist height, facing the audience, on The Incomparable ROMAINE: The MONARCH of MANIPULATORS (2 DVDs).

In his act the move was performed just twice. Obviously up to you how to use it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use real hot dogs, you can take a bite out of one Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Dick Oslund has an entertaining perpetual balls routine that delighted his young audiences. His DVD shows the routine but I'm uncertain whether he explains it in his book or not (I reading the book now).

http://www.magicinc.net/search.aspx?find=dick+oslund

Bruce
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
I just found the ball routine in Dick's book, p. 302. Check it out.

Bruce
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Bruce! Thanks for the nice promo!

I explained how I presented the Perpetual Balls (which I paid Percy Abbott $1.00 for in 1950). Since I consider the mechanics (although VERY simple) to be Abbott's intellectual property, I did not consider it ethical to put the details in my book. I think it's now priced at $5.00. I paid a buck in '50--one of the best dollars I ever spent, and at $5.00 it still is!!!

As with any trick or routine, the PRESENTATION is the IMPORTANT "THING". Percy Abbott's basic routine is just that. It's GOOD. But, it needs presentation, and I give mine which has been used successfully for 50 years.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oh! All three of the shows that are on the DVD, have my ball routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Continuous production of billiard balls (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL