The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hector Mancha's FISM act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
I just watched Hector Mancha on Le Plus Grand Cabaret du Monde. I think it's the best card manipulation act I've ever seen. It doesn't have this "in your face" pace with the mandatory smile that we're used to; on the contrary, it's deliberately slow, and some productions are really magical, such as the first ones. I also liked that he's not doing pure SOH, which allows him to reach another level of quality (for example, I *really* liked how at one point, all the cards managed to fall in the hat). My only negative point would be the ending. But nonetheless, I really enjoyed his act.

Have a look: https://youtu.be/yAniUs-B3A0?t=3713

P!

PS: Also, he seems to have huuuuge hands Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very strange act in deed. I hope he made enough money to buy a pair of shoes, and get a good meal to nourish whatever health problems he has being near death. I thought it was very boring and to repetitive.

Sure he is doing pure sleight of hand. If he is using any aids, that is totally permissible, and does not discount all the work he has put into his creation.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Simply stated: WoooooooooooooooW!!!!
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I was there and seen it all ... hector was intending to inter cometition in invention category .. as he invented a bare hand production system , then he changed his mind and went with his act not surre about the details , was his act worth the grand prix ... the magority said now as there were some amazing acts and all his act revolved arround one single technique ,,, but he got standing ovations during some productions .
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Do you think he would have won the invention category if he had entered, Dahik?
I think at the IBM Convention if you enter a trick in the invention category and win, you are expected (if not required) to publish the trick in _Linking Ring_.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
149 Posts

Profile of allan31
I really think that winning a Grand Prix with the same sleight of hand during the all act is a big problem... Is it really a competition to find the "best" act ? and what means "best" ?

Well, if you show this act to people who are not magicians, they ask why he has no shoes, no great costume and why it's so boring...

It begins to be a problem all these "GRAND PRIX" artists who are only considered to be great artists among the small magic world... Smile))))

They travel during 2 years all over the world for magic festivals and disappear...
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Anatole , his invention is simple clever , its a bb with with th###d but the method is his creation , the truth I don't know ... but for me and many others there was much better entertaining acts , for me yuki and igor are the winners .
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Igor deserved an award, he received the biggest standing ovation on the FISM. BUT, he comes from a little country which is not even a FISM member with no judge to "support" him Smile. For us it was a big achievement that he could compete on FISM. On his way to Rimini he stopped at my home and we talked about other competition acts. Igor favored Hector but I was sure that none of them had a chance in a competition with DenDen who screwed up completely. He competed with Hector on FISM Europe and one of the judges commented how Hector is not for Grand Prix, he won second place, there was no first place. Not good enough for European FISM but he was good enough for the final FISM Grand Prix Smile Even though I like Hector`s character and style, personally I think that he based too many productions on his gimmick. It is not an easy gimmick to manipulate but it is still a gimmick.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2877 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Just wondering... how many of the FISM winners have turned out to be commercially successful acts? We know about Lance Burton and a couple of others, but, like allan31 said above, it seems that most of them go nowhere.

Which also makes me wonder if most of the FISM acts may have been put together specifically for a magicians' convention, i.e., material that magicians would find interesting. I know I did that a few times back in my younger years, but kept finding that what's interesting to magicians isn't necessarily interesting to the general public.

Have I missed something? Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
George, it all has to do where you live or want to work. I never heard of Finn Jon, but he was a full time professional magician in Europe. Norm Nielsen spent most of his performing life working in Europe. I wonder if that is still possible today. Can't judge opportunities by only the U.S. economy.

Jeff McBride is trying to help, with his touring magic variety shows. He will be here in October, with at least one FISM winner.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I would imagine that the venues for FISM and IBM Gold Medal winning acts would be limited to places like Vegas and Branson, Missouri.
Lance Burton started out with his basic Gold Medal FISM act in Vegas but eventually added routines where he spoke.
I would think that many FISM and Grand Prix winners would adapt to changing venues and expand into places like Comedy Clubs.
John Fisher wrote in his biographty of Cardini that the Suave Deceiver modified his act to meet the needs of performing on cruise ships, adding tricks like the Chinese Sticks, the sucker silk and egg... the card sword...
And Roy Benson had a variety of routines/acts besides billed balls--such as the Chinese Sticks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIuIvcLvVXw

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hector Mancha's FISM act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL