The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginning coin effect for a 9 year old (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
Folks,

I've been having fun over the summer showing my 9 year old step daughter some self working or nearly self working effects. Mostly card effects but also thieves and sheep which she does a wonderful presentation of to friends and family. Well her birthday is coming up and I asked her what she wanted and among the requests was a coin trick.

So, what are your thoughts for a largely self working beginning coin trick. Gimmicks are fine, I'd like to buy something of quality, so I don't mind spending 15-20 for a single effect for this occasion if it's fun for her to perform. If your recommended effect is not sold individually would you mind indicating the reference? Thanks in advance.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might think about my book, THE MAGIC BOOK.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Nickels to Dimes
Bite out quarter
Strike vanish (pen & coin)

Have Fun!!
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Spiked coin? I LOVED that as a 9 yr old.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
1. My first recommendation would be my favorite, the Hopping Half but at $50, it is outside your price guideline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKvTr5By9U

2. How about the effect using a sheet of rubber dental dam stretched across the mouth of a glass with a coin sitting on top? A simple press on the coin and it appears inside the glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGA0INJ3GMw

3. I have a simple self working effect made by Tenyo called Zone Infinity which would be good for a 9 year old. It is a 2"x2" plastic box with a slit through the center of the box. It has a slide drawer into which there is a cutout for a quarter. Put the quarter in the cutout, side the drawer closed and push a key through a slit in the top of the box through the quarter. Works well with a signed quarter too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8zhd8azhY

4. If you want the most bang for the buck then buy her a book on magic which will give her more to do. I would recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. There are coin tricks in there plus a wide array of other effects. She would get more out of this than a single coin trick.
http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Wilsons-Compl......in+magic
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
All of the "Self Working" magic books can serve.

The is one each on Coins, Ropes, Silks, Table Magic and Cards -- maybe more.

The illustrations are good and they are a fine size for carrying around.

check out Brad Burt's site. About $8.00 each

My suggestion is that when one asks for "trick" give them a book of many effects that can serve a lifetime.

Fining an old copy of the Boy Scout Book of Magic might be fun
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
The Mark Wilson and Harry Lorayne books recommended above are great places to start. Another choice is a book Joshua Jay wrote for kids - I forget the exact title, but it's something like "Big Magic for Little Hands." If you really want to go low budget and you're sure that you want to stick to coins only, try "Great Coin Tricks" by Bruce Smith (why pay $15-20 for one effect when you can get a bunch for $5.95?).

As for beginning effects, the first one that comes to mind is one coin on each hand, palms on a table facing upward, you flip them over so that there's one coin under each hand, you do it again, but lo and behold, both coins are under one hand the second time. More than easy enough for kids to do, and when done well it looks great even though it's the epitome of a beginner's trick. Best of all, you don't have to pay for it. It's the first effect in the Smith book, called "Jumping Coin."

Forgive the vague and clunky description - you only have two posts, so I don't know how much you know about the subject. But the trick I describe was the very first one I learned and I still use it 50 years later for people of all ages. Have her practice the trick with all four small coin denominations to see which one works best for her (and also so that she's ready to do it with all four) - when my sister and I were her age, a dime worked best for her and a nickel worked best for me. The first time I ever did the trick, it was for my cousin (one year younger than me) and the effect hit her so hard that she actually screamed - all from a trick that couldn't be simpler.

But if you were to ask me, I'd recommend the books by Mark Wilson and Harry Lorayne, and also Joshua Jay's Complete Course in Magic (there's the kids book of his that I recommended earlier too, although once a kid is as old as nine or ten I think he / she is ready for at least some tricks in adult books). This allows her to see more than just coin tricks and get a feel for what she really likes. When I was a kid I was all coins, all the time, and my sister was into cards instead, but now the opposite is true in both cases. Who knows, in a few months your daughter might be running around your house making a lot of different things disappear and reappear, not just coins Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Penny To Dime and Dynamic Coins are both very good tricks and suitable for a beginning 9 year old.

Julie
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
I appreciate all of your replies. I already have Mark Wilson's book and it's great. While paying for one effect isn't always the best way forward it can be fun especially when there's a prepared gimmick (say like Nickels to Pennies or Penny to Dime) and they (the kiddo) get that glee that we've all had when we splurged on ourselves. Books and dvds are the mainstay, but this is a special bit. I'll probably check out Lorayne's book regardless and work with her on that (as we do with Wilson's text). Thanks again.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I second MichaelJae's and Julie's recommendations.
Ihor
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
There is a coin matrix in Mark Wilson book and my 9 year old nephew picked it up no worries. he has picked up quite a few things from the book. He also just flick through it lots as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
North myrtle beach S.C.
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
Take A look at The amateur magician's handbook.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Greetings Ergerbor

May I suggest you do a fast search for PROBLEMA MAGIC DICE?
This is a step-up from the typical child's magic type of trick, but is still easy to do requiring just a little skill.

There are inexpensive import versions (some with different names) and a super deluxe version by Viking/Collector's Workshop.

This seems to match your requirements admirably.

Julie
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Hindu Paper Mystery might be something she can do.

Magically

Aus
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
Thanks all. I've decided to go with a couple of the suggestions here: Nickels to Dimes and Dime and Penny. However, I'm going to mine nearly all of these suggestions. The two aforementioned effects will be of the wrapped up birthday gift variety, the other suggestions will fuel many a Saturday afternoon. Once again, thanks Smile
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
You know what might be a really super idea? Sign her up as a member of the Martinka Coin Club. Okay, so it is $28.00 a month and I know that is much more than what you wanted to pay...but this is something she just might have for the rest of her life.

Each month, Martinka ships you a new coin trick. Some are harder to perform than others but I think it would be a perfect way to help her enjoy the art. The routine of receiving a surprise coin trick (that is worth much more than the monthly cost and includes free shipping) and then practicing it until the next one comes next month would be quite a thrill for her.

These coin tricks are of top notch quality and would make a super gift. And no, I am not representing Martinka in any way except I am a very happy member of the coin club myself. Take a look for yourself at http://www.martinka.com/martinka-coin-club/
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
Professor Marvel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Professor Marvel
The first coin effect I ever learned was the Fre**h D**p from Mark Wilson's book. It's still my go to when showing a coin effect to one of my friend's kids.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginning coin effect for a 9 year old (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL