The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Harry Lorayne's JAW DROPPERS! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I'm 55 but also prefer video over print for magic instructions.
But I'm in the video biz so maybe that's understanable.
Having said that if something comes along that's worthwhile (i.e. all of Harry' material) then I have to buckle down and go with the print version. It's more difficult for me but just depends on how badly I want to learn it, and in this case it's very badly.
Also helps a lot that Harry has got the writing thing down pat and is one of, if not the best, at conveying actions in words.

Based on his enormous body of work, I have no doubt that this new book will be a very worthwhile addition to any magician's library.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Okay, okay, one more. I love the threads mr. pigasus posts. So, why not post one, of many such, by someone thousands of times better known and a million times more knowledgeable? I'll try - I don't know how to list a link for it, so best I can do is copy/paste it, or try to. It's by Randy Wakeman:

"Most people likely don't stop to take it all in, but Harry Lorayne is the most influential, widely read, successful, writer/teacher/performer of close-up magic in the history of the world. That may well read like a ten dollar sentence, but it is a matter of fact.

"There are certainly other recognizable names in magic, and many people have made their contributions and significant contributions at that. Yet, nothing compares with the lasting impact that Harry Lorayne has had. Some of our legends in magic didn't perform much and wrote even less, for example Dai Vernon.

"Over half a century ago, fifty-three years ago, a hard cover book by the name of Close-up Card Magic was published: http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?book=238 . I have no idea how many copies have been sold by Tannen's much less the expanded edition in Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volume 1. Nor do I have any idea how many pirated versions have been sold, photocopied, scanned, and torrented over the years. That book alone has taught and inspired generations of magicians, and has already been handed down from generation to generation. Its contents are taught not only in written form, but in person by Harry Lorayne around the world and on video. It has sold out again and again, even Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volume 1 has been out of print.

"Private magic magazines come and go, with many of them failing after a year or two, leaving subscribers with nothing. Not so with Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse, a 20 year run. Even some of the hardbound Apocalypse volumes are now out of print. The Jinx ran from 1934 – 1941 and then abruptly ended just as abruptly as Ted Anneman ended everything permanently.

"Unlike many written publishers, Harry Lorayne not only does (and has done) what he writes of, but at one time had to do it to eat. That's what jumped out at me originally from Close-up Card Magic (and My Favorite Card Tricks, Personal Secrets) for it was obvious that this material was both performable and had been performed. That is a huge, vitally meaningful distinction from the countless semi-interesting missives that contain things that not only have never been performed but could not be performed regularly in any practical sense. With his background of pitching Svengali decks and then performing restaurant magic to survive, magic that does not work isn't an option much less of high value.

"Still, enthusiastic card students waste their time on things that no one cares about and do nothing to entertain audiences . . . some of it is, to be charitable, just a bore. That hasn't been a problem for the last half a century, due in large measure to Harry Lorayne. All you have to do is work through his books and get out there and perform for people."

Randy Wakeman
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I wish you continued success with your marketing campaign, Harry. Smile
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Mr. Lorayne, thank you not only for the great books you have written, but for the many laughs you give me here and the entertainment I receive from reading these many threads and posts from those who fail to understand your online persona.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
It's only marketing if there's competition, Pegasus!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Mr. Lorayne , thank you so much for all that you have given over the years. You are on top of the mountain sir.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
What a mess.
If I had a thousand dollars laying around, I'd buy ten copies of the book, resell them in a couple years and double my money. But I don't. And I certainly wouldn't put that kind of money at risk to make a point. Which, not surprisingly, brings me back to pre-ordering before the reviews come in. I get the advantage from the author's side - what with Christmas coming and making bets on the Internet, but what's the incentive for struggling young magicians? I read the ad copy. Is this one of those limited runs where if you don't pre-buy you won't be able to get one?

If it really is a health/finance issue, color me embarrassed. I'd certainly contribute to a kickstarter campaign, just for the chance to help out a living legend. There must be hundreds of others here who would do the same. Just ask.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
God, I wish I knew what the heck you're talking about! I have no idea what you mean about "struggling young magicians."

Yes, it is a very limited printing. As I said elsewhere, I no longer want to store books. Will you not be able to get a copy if you don't pre-order (and we're talking about pre-ordering by, big deal, a couple of weeks, if that)- I honestly don't know. My "limited" printing is usually more than most others' "regular" printing - so hopefully that won't be a problem. But I can't promise that it won't be.

I'm scheduled to be the guest of honor, lecturer, etc., at a fairly large convention next April, and was asked to bring quite a few copies of JAW DROPPERS! along with some of my other books. So, how it will "work out," I just don't know. I'll just go with the flow. But, obviously, if you want to be sure to get a copy, order now. (As MANY are doing as we speak.)

What you mean by this - "If it really is a health/finance issue, color me embarrassed. I'd certainly contribute to a kickstarter campaign, just for the chance to help out a living legend. There must be hundreds of others here who would do the same. Just ask." - I have no idea. I'm such a great believer in saying what you mean, omit the psychobabble. I sure don't want anyone saying/thinking "Whaaaaat?!" when they read my stuff. And as I read yours just now - I thought "Whaaaat?"

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oh, and mr. writeall, I'm still wondering about the meaning of your first post in this thread: "Whose autographs can we select from?" Another bit of psychobabble. Would you explain for all of us as to just what you meant by that? That'd be nice.

billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Apparently writeall does not distinguish between a Kickstarter campaign where people are invited to contribute money to an entrepreneur in order to provide the money to have his product (a book maybe) produced, thereby minimizing or eliminating the financial risk to the entrepreneur, and a pre-order situation such as yours for Jaw Droppers where the book is already being printed and you are doing just what you say, soliciting orders for the book prior to the actual availability.

The rest is nonsense.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Is that what he's talking about? Then, of course, it is utter nonsense. God save us! One of the large world problems - people who have no idea what they're talking about keep talking!!!

Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2015, writeall wrote:
What a mess.
If I had a thousand dollars laying around, I'd buy ten copies of the book, resell them

Hey writeall, where's the confidence. Surely you can kick a ninety year old's a**. Why not take the bet. In fact I want in on this action. Pegasus has already showed his ignorance and one thing being in the military has taught him nothing about respect. Don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk. I served as well in special forces but was taught respect.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
To me, there is a HUGE difference between pre-ordering a book from someone who has authored many, and pre-ordering a trick.
There are no surprises as to the method of a book, you open it up and read it.
Now there may be a question as to the value of the contents, but in this case you're not going to find anyone with a better track record than Harry Lorayne.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2015, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
What a mess.
If I had a thousand dollars laying around, I'd buy ten copies of the book, resell them

Hey writeall, where's the confidence. Surely you can kick a ninety year old's a**. Why not take the bet. In fact I want in on this action. Pegasus has already showed his ignorance and one thing being in the military has taught him nothing about respect. Don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk. I served as well in special forces but was taught respect.

Not a chance. The guy has 55 years of performing history. Even if he were limited to card tricks, even with failing eyesight and shaky hands, he'd still kick my butt. If you were in Special Forces, you know all about asymmetric warfare. Machismo in the service of bragging rights is a bad idea. On the other hand, spending a grand might be worth the lesson. Does he teach?

If the book is going to be pre-sale only, that puts a different spin on it. If it turns out to be stellar, the book will end up being one of those classics you can't get your hands on. Now that's a marketing angle!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If I had a disagreement with any one I would never throw in suggestions that their health is poor. It's either untrue or tactless. Actually it's tactless either way.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2015, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
What a mess.

We've got a name for people like you in the British Army. Walter Mitty.
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
Pegasus, I'm not sure being in the T.A. qualifies you as an expert on all things military.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
There are old movie stars,old pop icons & old magic stars.

I can not imagine anyone putting down an old movie or old music icon.

To may age has nothing to do with it(i mean look at Paul Daniels in the U.K. He is still every bit a good as he has ever been. Probably even better.Age has not affected his ability).

Normally we look up to them and appreciate the work they have put out.

I bet this book will be as good as anything Harry has ever released. It will not be good. It will be very good. In fact excellent.

I don't get this.

Why have a go at a respected super star of magic? This guy has proven himself in the publishing world, the video and DVD world & most importantley in the performing world(although someone is going to pipe up and say in this case it's the publishing bit that counts).

Why not either buy it & after reading it & actually trying the routines at least 50 times on the paying public( or if you don't perform for a living just do it on friends, then put your review on here).

Or the other option is don't buy it. I am sure Mr Lorayne doesn't need the money after a long and lucrative career.

Please stop having a go at a very talented legend of magic.

Look at some of Harrys other books. If you don't want to buy them, I am sure some magic friend would lend them out to any of you. Am sure if you are a member of a magic society a Harry Lorayne book will be in the libiary to borrow.

All Harry has done is inform people that he has a new product available. I thought that's what the Café was about.

Then the reviews AFTER THE BOOK HAS CAME OUT & SOMEONE HAS ACYUALLY READ IT.

Please kep this cival and leave Mr Lorayne alone.

Mike Donoghue
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
PS. Sorry about my typing mistakes.

Mike Donoghue
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
That's ok Mike, we all mayke them now and agayn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Harry Lorayne's JAW DROPPERS! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL