The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sharpie BUG Writer by Vernet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20040

How is it different from the old Super Sharpie?
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Super Sharpie is part of the Sharpie, Vernet bug just has a Sharpie "esque" nib to write with.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
This might be asking way too much on an open forum, but is this a modified TT type gimmick? If so, it would be what I'm looking for...
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, SlipperySnake wrote:
This might be asking way too much on an open forum, but is this a modified TT type gimmick? If so, it would be what I'm looking for...

I wasn't sure if I should put this here, but numerous other products of this nature (even if different in how they accomplish it) have been discussed, so I figured it was okay.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I unexpectedly got a chance to look at one, but not use it.

From what I saw, I like it, but that could change once I hear from people that actually use it.

The main questions I have

Will it write for as long as they claim? Even if it does, still not sure what their ad copy really means. "Write as many as 20 number each time". If it can write twenty 1s but ony five 8s, that would be an issue.

Is it durable? It's Vernet, so I'm expecting that it is durable. It appears to be well made.

How easy is the re-inking process? It seems well thought out but again, sometimes when something is actually put to use, issues arise.

So, on first glance this looks promising, but I wasn't willing to spend the money to be the test subject on this, and the place I saw it was willing to show it to me, but wasn't willing to actually demo it / let people try it out.
LookyLookyMan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of LookyLookyMan
If it's based on their boon which I think was called BUG, it's awful. Just totally the wrong shape.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I've tried these and they are "okay" but you'll quickly find much better methods out there with some searching.

Bob Cassidy has probably the better of the methods out there with his Band Style writer featured in Resurrection of Dr. Crow. He teaches you to make them yourself so you basically get an endless supply for MUCH cheaper than what else is out there.

I believe (someone can correct me on this) it is also taught in Billet Killers (or another Penguin Download).

The position of Bob's makes it a LOT easier to write clearly and you don't have to worry about tackiness or it popping off.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I use the magnetic grease BUG all the time, its the only one I'm comfortable with because its so secure.

No one's EVER been able to tell its not my sharpie. I literally use both at the same time.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I'm sure the Sharpie bug has some type of ink reservoir in the holder. When you put it back, it more than likely re-inks itself. A bug writer is bigger than a boon. Boons can be as small as the head of a thumbtack.
I use Dave Powell's boon. Like Dynamix says, those china markers look just like Sharpie writing.
James
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, Xiqual wrote:
I'm sure the Sharpie bug has some type of ink reservoir in the holder. When you put it back, it more than likely re-inks itself. A bug writer is bigger than a boon. Boons can be as small as the head of a thumbtack.
I use Dave Powell's boon. Like Dynamix says, those china markers look just like Sharpie writing.
James

Yes, it does have an ink reservoir and re-ink itself when you put it back.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Just seems pointless. You are going to get ink on your fingers.
James
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, Xiqual wrote:
James

I'm not looking to defend it since I didn't buy it and am not currently using it, but from having looked at it, I don't see how you would get ink on your fingers.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For me, its the price...sooner or later you're gonna lose a writer, no matter what it is...or you're going to break it, forget it, sit on it, whatever - not seen this model, but I'm sticking with a listo...
I've asked to be banned
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I'm mostly thinking about Super Sharpie. I suppose I'm clumsy, but I would get ink all over my fingers. Then the nib broke. So that was another $50 in the toilet. IAIN also makes a great point. Losing it.
Banachek has an old set of notes that teach how to make a boon writer. Really easy.
James

Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, Xiqual wrote:
James

I'm not looking to defend it since I didn't buy it and am not currently using it, but from having looked at it, I don't see how you would get ink on your fingers.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Does anyone have this?

Contacted Vernet but no reply...
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
I used sharpies as my main writing utensil. Would this or super sharpie be a better purchase overall
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2015, Lseeyou wrote:
Does anyone have this?

Contacted Vernet but no reply...

I haven't gotten one as well
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Well, I've been to two B&M magic shops (a rare breed these days). Neither was able (willing?) to demo the Bug. Read into that what you will.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, IAIN wrote:
For me, its the price...sooner or later you're gonna lose a writer, no matter what it is...or you're going to break it, forget it, sit on it, whatever - not seen this model, but I'm sticking with a listo...

This is 100% accurate. The magnetic holder, while a clever concept, simply doesn't lock very well. Yes it's magnetic but that's not enough to keep the cover closed. It needs some sort of real lock or button.

So yes I've lost there multiple times and am now looking for replacements.
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Response to Teyo: "I used sharpies as my main writing utensil. Would this or super sharpie be a better purchase overall"

I don't have a bug writer so take this for what it's worth, but I love the super sharpie precisely because I use sharpie pens so often

Super Sharpies hid the gimmick in plain sight, easily accessible and, with minimal practice, easily replaceable as well.

the one drawback is refilling the "reservoir" - official Sanford Sharpie pens got cheap a few years back, making refilling more of a hassle than it used to be.

But then you don't have to refill a Super Sharpie very often, either. Certainly not every eight digit-scrawls
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sharpie BUG Writer by Vernet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL