The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Deteriorated rubber bands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I've tried searching the forums here, so surely my searching abilities are weak, because I'm sure this has been discussed many times, so I apologize for even bringing it up.

I took a break from performing magic for the past 15 years, and just recently looked into my tub of goodies.

I have a few coins where the rubber bands have deteriorated, and I don't want to use a sharp instrument to remove them because I'm afraid I'd nick them and that would ruin my props.

I know there must be something (acetone maybe?) that will dissolve the rubber so that I can then wash the remnants out with water.

If someone would be so kind to provide a link to the threads here that I am most sure exist.

Thanks,

Boomer
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
No matter what you use to dissolve them, you will still need to use some tool to scrape the remnants out. Just have to be careful! I stopped using flippers because of bands breaking at horrible times. However now with the popularity and wider availability of the bandless flippers I may try using them again.

Jim
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Did some deeper Internet searching, and just as I thought, looks like Acetone will work.

Thanks for looking.

Boomer
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I use an Xacto knife... the sharp side to cut the bits up, and the back side to push them out.

Except for non-gravity flippers and folding coins, I then use el*st*c c*rd in place of rubber bands when I put everything back together.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Hey Inigo, have you used that for quarters by any chance? The quarter-size Double Deception Deluxe comes with a much-too-tight band. I've broken it and replaced it twice but it still ends up too tight. And it is excruciatingly hard to tie it off on a coin that small.

Thanks!

Jim
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Thanks inigmntoya, I got out my xacto and removed all the softened rubber that was in the grooves.

Boomer
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I recently acquired the quarter sized double "DDD" but haven't changed the band.
It came as you said, a little too tight but if I give it a good stretch it will lay flat for a while. I haven't been too concerned as the original DD which I still have wasn't designed to stay flat.
If on rethreading yours is still too tight I'd try tying things off with a bit more slack. I've only done half dollar sized coins so far, and know that takes some patience so I imagine quarters would be a bit trickier.

Has yours broken in use or just when trying to stretch it out? If breaking while stretching I'd try not stretching as far, but holding it stretched for a longer time instead.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mine at first broke after stretching it. I stretched it gently as instructed on the DVD, however it broke very shortly afterward while in use. I re-threaded it but it was a bear! The curve is much steeper so it's tougher to hold the thread as you tie it. Tried making it looser but when complete it felt just as tight as it was originally. As it is now I can't use it for the hanky penetration; I have to hold it open or it snaps shut!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Deteriorated rubber bands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL