The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Tricks on the subject evangelism (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Hi,
I'm an evangelist - and sometimes I'm asked to teach on the subject of evangelism. I need some new tricks and/or routines on the subject of evangelism. Do anybody have good ideas?

Torben
Kasey Logan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Kasey Logan
Are you looking to evangelize, or teach how to evangelize? Either way, I'm interested in seeing what others who are more experienced might have to add. I'm sure what I have to offer is "old news" but as a teenager we had an evangelist teach us how to do 2 tricks at a youth meeting that shared the gospel.

One was the first phase of "Dots Next" with a simple index card, there's not 4 ways to get to heaven, there's not 3 ways to get to heaven there's not 6 ways to get to heaven there's only one way to get to heaven. This particular evangelist would keep stacks of these cards in his pocket and would constantly offer to do magic tricks for families he met in public, he'd share the gospel and teach the trick then give the card as a reminder/take away.

The other trick he taught was taking two (seemingly) pieces of yarn and restoring them to one. Showing that the two strands represent our separation from God, but Jesus came to restore us.

I actually did both of these tricks for quite a few of my friends in school when I was younger, so it did work to develop a habit of evangelism in that way. It also teaches it's possible to share the Gospel with others without passing out Smile

My husband actually has one trick he does which I think is pretty clever, it's a take on 3 card monty that he uses to share a Gospel message. But I'm not sure if this is one he's ready to share with others yet, so I won't say anything else without permission.
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
I have many of tricks and routines when I do evangelism and share the good news. I need new ideas for routines when I'm teaching in churches how to evangelize - and inspiring Christians to share their faith.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I'm still not sure on what you need.

are you teaching them the tricks and how to use them to spread the good news or are you just performing them to give them ideas.

meaning you are performing it and showing how you share the gospel.

i have several routines in my lecture and (another shameless plug) soon to be on DVD. but if I can help let me know

if you are just looking to perform the effects as inspiration pieces and will not be teaching the methods or the routines then I would be willing to offer one or two of them too you.

Pm me or post here so that others can see and learn as well. I am ok with that.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Torben, perhaps if you shared a few points you'd like to illustrate, people would be able to suggest some tricks that would fit.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Just FYI:

OT (off topic):
Singer/author Michael Card wrote a wonderful/very readable commentary entitled "Luke: The Gospel of Amazement". I have found it very worthwhile. Michael is appearing tomorrow (May 31, 2018) on "Chris Fabry Live!" on the www.MoodyRadio.org network. I have no idea what Mr. Card be talking about tomorrow, but it is pretty neat that a "Card" may be selected tomorrow regarding the subject "Amazement".

A few years ago, I picked up at a FCM convention a black tshirt with the words on it: "Gospel Magician: Pick A Verse, Any Verse". Love it! Several months ago, a very giving gent sent me a free tshirt which on the front said "The Magic Bus" Unfortunately, on the back of the shirt was an ad for a "head shop"/pipe supplier in Indianapolis. Oh well... I still may drop in there during the FCM convention next month to see if they carry that same shirt without the ad.

Anyway, back on topic- FCMers are from many churches and denominations- which is appreciated by me. Singer Michael Card (mentioned above) is known for his singing in all kinds of different churches. In my own crazy life, I have jumped church membership from being Christian Reformed to Reformed Baptist to Independent Bible (IFCA) to now Wesleyan- and this has never has been an issue with anyone ever at the FCM. The FCM is a very broad Bible based organization, not just limited to Baptists or Calvinists or mixed up folk like me like me who have been in all kinds of denominations/churches. That is a really neat thing about the FCM- we have magicians, jugglers, vents and puppeteers from just about every Christian tradition/background that can agree with the simple FCM "Statement of Faith" (see www.FCM.org )
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Back to topic:
In the original post I asked for good ideas to routines when I teach about evangelism. It could be routines to teach about the need for evangelism, who did God call to do evangelism, where did God send us etc...

Torben
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I use the John de Vries Blok Cord (wooden block off rope)- great for evangelism. His routine published many times In The Christian Conjurer magazine.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
As for teaching about Acts 1:8, use any device that can produce four items such as a large change bag or square circle. Lesson: Where do we evangelize? Locally, our Jerusalem (produce a city flag or emblem like a City of Chicago flag), then in our region/Judea (produce a small State flag or emblem), nationally/Samaria (U.S. flag) and to the ends of the Earth (produce stream of international flags). We can all spread the Good News wherever we are. Then conclude with a discussion on Matthew 28:18-20: "The Great Commission" (which has nothing to do with being a well paid realtor).
George S Whale
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of George S Whale
Wycliffe Bible Translators used a Bible form of Colouring book. Eg. Not have the Word (blank), hearing the Word (outline), reading the Word (colour) to give a simple illustration of their ministry.. Sure you could play wifh this concept. Or Barry Mitchell's sponge ball seed routine planting,watering, growing...
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On May 30, 2018, MagicBus wrote:
OT (off topic):
Singer/author Michael Card wrote a wonderful/very readable commentary entitled "Luke: The Gospel of Amazement". I have found it very worthwhile. Michael is appearing tomorrow (May 31, 2018) on "Chris Fabry Live!" on the www.MoodyRadio.org network. I have no idea what Mr. Card be talking about tomorrow, but it is pretty neat that a "Card" may be selected tomorrow regarding the subject "Amazement".

Couldn't believe it when I saw Michael Card's name. My mom used to love listening to him, and I don't know that I've ever met anyone that actually knew who he was. He's a talented man, and I love to listen to some of his music. Brings back good memories of homeschooling while my mom listened to her music in the kitchen. Boy, what I wouldn't give for one more day like that. Your post just brought tears to my eyes MagicBus...

servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
First, I think MSaber may have just been chasing after the 50 post mark to unlock the secret boards. He seems to have stopped posting when he hit 50, but I think that explains the quick pop-in and pop-out.

But since this post has been resurrected, I'm curious if you developed any specific routine for this purpose?

I just wanted to add my two cents. I think you should approach this from the other side. Don't try to find illusions that illustrate your point, but rather, complete your message or lesson and then find effective links between an illusion and back into your message.

My preaching professor at Bible college taught us to pick illustrations that had nothing to do with the message we were preaching. I was quite confused at first. He differentiated illustrations and examples. Illustrations take the listener out of the message and then thrusts them back into it with a powerful link. It's like a mental break. Whereas, an example is something that has direct links back to the message.

So for instance, you are teaching on Stephen the Martyr and the fact that his sermon is not a defense. Rather it was an indictment against Israel.
Illusion: Siberian Chain Escape
Link: Stephen, on the brink of death, was not shackled by his fear. He did not mount a defense to save his own life. Stephen's greatest concern was delivering the message that God had given him and no earthly chains could hold him back. What's holding you back from sharing the Gospel? What are your chains?

I just picked a random illusion from a most popular magic tricks search on Google.

If you think hard enough, you can do this with almost any illusion.
Illusion: Sawing a woman in half
Link: Stephen was on the very brink of death. His attackers must have thought that breaking his body would also break his spirit. And if they could break Stephen, surely those who followed him would recant in fear. But Stephen remained whole through the strength of the Holy Spirit. God had called him to deliver one last message, and for this reason, Stephen was given the strength to preach it and was unafraid of death.
I wonder what obstacle you perceive in your life today. God calls us to preach the Gospel and to share the Good News of the Kingdom, and with the power of the Holy Spirit in front of you, there is no obstacle that can stand in your way. Let me repeat that. There is no obstacle that can stand in your way. If you are granted life, use every ounce of it to preach the Way, the Truth, and the Life. And if you are sentenced to death, let your death ring out among the nations, just as Stephen, that death can never separate us from the Love of God because you will proclaim His Name for eternity!
Romans 8:39, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
The magic trick itself should not be the primary focus or impact, the trick can be used to help get attention and also illustrate parts of your narrative. But, it should never be the main attraction. My two cents.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I really have been personally convicted regarding "evangelism". Fortunately, I am a member of a growing Bible centered vibrant prayer minded church that encourages folks to invite folks to any of our ministries and prepares nice looking materials for us to give away with excellently designed web site links on them as well. This summer, I am getting written permission from our local busy farmers markets to do free fun "quiet" closeup street magic type routines in exchange for simply making available/offering our colorful church invite cards to singles and families. Not outright evangelism per say with every routine, but more aimed at hopefully and prayerfully inviting the "nones" (those with no current church affiliation) to check out our home church which is very much sensitive to welcoming newcomers, new kids, those hurting, young families, etc.. I'll post here again later this summer if this approach is worthwhile as I way to encourage folks to change from "nones" to "yes" on having a meaningful church affiliation/becoming Christ followers. My heart breaks for all the millennials who may have grown up in the faith but left during their college years.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Just a follow-up note on my comments above- the three farmers markets in my County have upcoming vendor or non-profit applications all due shortly. So if you are considering doing magic at this type of outdoor venue this summer, go to their websites right away. The popular farmers market located only a few minutes drive away from our church had a fast approaching February 28 deadline for example even though the market itself will not be open for many months yet.
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Just love on them through your presentation and message. People don’t care how much you know - until they know how much you care!

I want to define what I mean by love -share truth! Truth is the foundation - we must share the Good News - Gospel. Jesus rescues sinners, who surrender and trust in His redeeming work at the cross!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Tricks on the subject evangelism (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL