The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Cuss Card Fakes Alert (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Because it so often written on MC about the ethics of selling knockoffs this might be of interest.

Unless you are purchasing "Cuss Cards" or "Cussing Cards" from Alchemy Moon, you are buying outside the law fakes.

And the fakes are out there, right now, being offered.

Cuss Cards are the result of Chris Gould's R&D. They are a specific routine and prop design. Any like item is a RIPOFF, and should be shunned!

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Interesting you would choose the Cuss Cards to bring to light a phenom that is rampant in our community.

I am not at all challenging your post. . .rather that I agree.

There are countless products being ripped off that it's mind boggling(to say the least).

Interesting use of bandwidth.

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Thank you for alerting us, Pete. That's an outrage.
The Séance Party
http://www.theseanceparty.com
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I don't think he's trying to bring light to a larger issue but specifically the fact that a product from one of the most generous and helpful small scale creators around is being a faked in whole and to provide a gentle reminder that if you're not getting it from the source it might be a rip off.
R. Steiner
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of R. Steiner
Wow. It is incredibly sad to believe that - in such a small and close-knit group of collective minds - this practice has occurred.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Sad
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
A serious outrage - blasfamy !!!!!!!!! Chris puts his heart & soul into his CC's as well as all his works of art.....a real dirtbag rat b*st*rd to rip Chris's CC's off, they should be burned at a stake !!!!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
How, is this known ?

Did, someone buy some ?
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
A very sad shame that this happens, and doubley so when it happens to one of the best boutique creators our community has. I'd be ashamed to have one of the knock-offs.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

An inquiry was made to the person making the duplicates. The site was referred to Chris.

This is not met to titillate nor drag anyone through the mire. It is meant to bring to light a wrong, allow for correction of the error, and to alert potential buyers.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

I asked Dean Dill for permission to build my own Dean’s Box and paid him for the right to do so. Really I could have made it more of a Sefalaljia and not paid anything, but it would not have been right.

If someone wants to make their version of a well known effect, just work out a deal with the person in possession of the rights to the effect. If they do not want to allow it, honor that.
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
OK, Thanks Pete!
If my old mind serves me, Someone took some CC's and aged them up, here in spooky. (Way back when!)
Chris, commented on how much they looked liked they made Elite CC's!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2015, Godzilla wrote:
OK, Thanks Pete!
If my old mind serves me, Someone took some CC's and aged them up, here in spooky. (Way back when!)

I did this myself. I think many did!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Wow - I mean - wow.

WOW.

I have an Elite set from WAYYYYYYYYYYY back - and as a collector - this irks me!

It is truly bizarre though that such a niche item would become a knock off.... that in itself is also insane.... that the person doing it would not think it would not have repercussions?!?!?!

EGAD

BTW, I guess you don't want to say who is doing it as then the unscroooopoooolus will use it to contact he or she to get an illegal set - but it would be great to know who is offering such things.... and why the hell they would?!?!?!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
It is more than a knock off. It is an illegal and unethical appropriation of someone's artwork. You can steal routines and methods, and just be an unethical jerk. Once you steal intellectually property, like art, you are a criminal. If someone has been making them up and selling them, they should be exposed.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2015, Lucien Astor wrote:
It is more than a knock off. It is an illegal and unethical appropriation of someone's artwork. You can steal routines and methods, and just be an unethical jerk. Once you steal intellectually property, like art, you are a criminal. If someone has been making them up and selling them, they should be exposed.

I'm inclined to agree. Hopefully legal action is being pursued here against the person(s) responsible, but shouldn't there also be a social ramification for violating this work, infringing on a respected creator in our community, and devaluing those legitimate pieces that so many of us have?
The Séance Party
http://www.theseanceparty.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yes, name the person. Then we can all report him to various authorities. Don't do it behind the curtain, do it in the spotlight. Take screengrabs as proof before you do though.
I've asked to be banned
Louis Cypher
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of Louis Cypher
Wow. Sneaky rat. Really makes me cross. 3 fold coming your way.
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2015, Godzilla wrote:
OK, Thanks Pete!

That was me, with Chris' permission.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yes Bedford did it as part of the am community - sharing the tech with Chris's knowledge and blessing for DIY

Egads

Name the person only if you think it won't boost their sales doing it

Legally, really, what can you do? I can see more effect via magic social pariah stance tho
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Cuss Card Fakes Alert (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL