The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gibeciére technique (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
The problem with most people is they will put their hand in the pouch and leave it there for long periods of time.

There was a book from Jarrel Leirpol (I think that was his name) called pocket power or something along those lines. This book came out probably 10+ years ago.

The point is, that book taught me things that defined how I work from a pouch or my pockets.

Here is the bottom line, if you're going to do something i.e. going into the pouch, make sure there is some motivation for doing so. If there is no motivation then, don't go in there.

If you keep this in mind, you will have a much greater impact when it comes to revealing whatever you removed to produce.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
the word 'Gibeciere'.

Call it a 'belt pack' and it becomes a perfectly reasonable thing for a street performer to wear.
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
186 Posts

Profile of Endless West
I disagree. I go to the pouch often. Let my hands rest inside and then come out empty many times.
People forget you have it on and it becomes normal movement, like you resting with your hands in your pockets.

Also, watch jimmy talksalot videos of him practicing sight gags. He has some good pouch moves.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Actually that makes sense that you would make part of your normal body language. I think that this would look better as an informal type look. If however your going for a more formal look going to pockets or pouches to rest might draw more attention. I think it comes down a bit to your character as well. A jeans and t-shirt type show this body action would work well. A formal tux type it might not be do good.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
I use a pouch. In the summer I wear very casual clothes, plus a vest, but when it's cool in the early Spring or Fall, I wear the pouch with a dress jacket and tie! I use the pouch because I find it useful even if it's an odd looking accessory--anyway, most magicians are an odd looking bunch with their vests and hats. I carry a portion of my props in the pouch, as well as some secret loads. I do make steals from it as I would from my pockets, when I put stuff away or take stuff out. I do a number of steals simply when replacing my wand in the pouch or taking it out of the pouch. For example, I start one of my first sets by taking my wand out of the pouch but also secretly hiding a sponge donut in my hand taken from the pouch. I then produce the donut from behind a kid's ear. When I replace the donut in my pouch, I steal a silver dollar and go into Miser's Dream. At another point, I secretly steal a handful of sponge balls from the pouch while apparently putting a single one away in the pouch, then eventually produce the balls from under my hat (this is a Kozmo idea). After I show the balls have appeared under the hat, I put my wand in my pouch and steal a coconut which I secretly load under the hat for a coconut-from-hat production. In another routine that I do for kids, I secretly steal a banana out of my pouch while putting the wand away in it, and then do a banana-from-hat production.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dam! noland! How big is that pouch??? (hee hee!)

You just gave me an idea! If I ever play Australia, I'll just hire a KANGAROO for an assistant!!! --that one rates three hee hees!

BTW...How are the big "silks" working out?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Dam! noland! How big is that pouch??? (hee hee!)

You just gave me an idea! If I ever play Australia, I'll just hire a KANGAROO for an assistant!!! --that one rates three hee hees!

BTW...How are the big "silks" working out?

It's one, big a-s pouch!
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
Hi Dick:

I meant to attach this photo in my last post. Here's the pouch.

The Silks you gave me are gorgeous, and the routine is playing well, although I've only had the opportunity to perform it a couple of times for my targeted audience, older kids. Thanks again for helping me out with the Silks.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, noland wrote:
Hi Dick:

I meant to attach this photo in my last post. Here's the pouch.

The Silks you gave me are gorgeous, and the routine is playing well, although I've only had the opportunity to perform it a couple of times for my targeted audience, older kids. Thanks again for helping me out with the Silks.

OK, the photo still isn't showing up. Oh well....
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
922 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I am 100% with Gallagher on the deceptiveness of the pouch. A problem with it in my eyes is that every time a spectator can't explain something he will say to himself, "I bet it's the pouch" because it's the only thing out of place on you.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, tboehnlein wrote:
Who is Gallaghe?

Gallagher is a performer for the common man (and woman), he is wise, and possess a poet's soul.

One would be wise to heed his words...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hee hee hee,
now that made me smile(!).
"Gibeciere Technique", by the way,
refers to the ablity to eat Oero Cookies,
with one hand.
,i practised ALL winter(!).

"Wise,.."..?
I took the winter off,
with plans, projects, post scriptums,
and vor scriptums.
Look at the stock prices for Oreos,...
tripled since December.
,...take at look at Fig Newton,....
Milk prices,
are thankfully controlled.
I kinda blew it.
I wish I had a more dramatic epic,....

"Poet,.."..?
,..wine, women, opium,...
jazz music,
and tiddley winks.,..?
Sorry,,..
folks, I gained ten pounds,...
shared a bed with Rip van Winkel,
and,...
well,
I did read a bit.

I enjoyed the Magic Café,..
but was limited;
while,
someone stole the mobil-telefon antenna,
in our village(!).
I have nö landline,
sö I just restained to bottle-post
and "the Library in the next town".
,..where I sit now...
one hour a week,..
wednesdays,...

got to gö,..
times up.
I will write more.
In two weeks we hope,
plan,..
WILL,
be out again(!).
Yahooooooo!
I've some stories to finish,..
and some new ones to discover.
smiles,
,..diet starts tomorrow.
fingers crossed,
gallagher

p.s.: I don't mean to imply,
Oreos and Fig Newtons,
öh,
and Lays potato Chips,..
did I mention Lays Potato Chips?,..
are
"the way to roll."
But throw in some good Card Tricks,
....and we might be talking about a possible Religion.
Greetings from Rip,...
and Monika.
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, bigfoot wrote:
You know you could look to Tony Slydinis work. I'm sure that his views on lapping can be applied at least in part.

Slydini was my inspiration do start doing street magic. His ideas can definitely be applied in part if you can get a good relationship going with the people who stop by your table.
DrVG
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi folks, I m looking for a gibecière design as to build one for myself.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2022, DrVG wrote:
Hi folks, I m looking for a gibecière design as to build one for myself.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

I made a gibeciere/busker's pouch by buying a lady's black leather purse at a thrift store ($5), cutting off the handles, making 2 slits in the back and sliding a leather belt ($2) through the slits so that I could wear it hanging at the waist. I used it for 15 years of street magic. I even added some cardboard partitions inside to separate some of my props, which included a set of three 8 inch linking rings, sponge balls, cup (one cup routine), coconut (final hat load), wand and other stuff. At one point, I also paid $150 for a beautiful leather pouch from a magic dealer but I found it not as well suited to my needs as the one I had designed from the purse, so the $150 one sits to this day on my magic shelf, unused.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
Gibeciere made from purse.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of noland
Gibeciere from purse.

Click here to view attached image.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Well if any one still wants to look at good loads out of a bag hanging from your waist.
Have a look at Nick Nickolas
Just Google him he has been around for years on the street.
We met in the 80s in Australia
He spends most time now on the cruise lines.
Top performer
I use a servant
Nickoli
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
I'll say this, I've been busking ending with the cups for this summer. I do a fairly standard load ala Gazzo with a Poachers Pouch Plus. I produce a coconut at the end and I've had people ask where the coconut comes from. Don't be so sure everyone assumes things come from the pouch.

Also during my routine I purposefully refer to it as a pocket. "I put the ball in my pocket" as just a subtle mental misdirection.
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3335 Posts

Profile of gaddy
If people backtrack it carefully, they will eventually come to the conclusion that the loads come from the pouch. People aren't stupid. (sic)

The solution is to be entertaining enough that they don't bother with an analytical breakdown of your show.

Also, who cares if they eventually come to some rational conclusion about a magic trick as long as you don't flash and the audience is enjoying themselves.

20 minutes after your show might as well be 24 hours for most buskers...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gibeciére technique (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL