The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Routine (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Hey guys,
This is an Okito Box Routine I came up with many years ago, Let me know what what you think. I just started playing with it again trying to come up with a patter story.

https://youtu.be/Dbyv0Y68n3Y
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Probably needs a bit if thought, blah blah blah is not real strong patter. Smile
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
The handling was very good, but like bigfoot said it needs more engaging patter.
Reality is a real killjoy.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Totally agree the patter is weak. I'm thinking of a plot line will repost a new video when I come up with something
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Perhaps just use three coins rather than four to make the routine shorter? Perhaps needs a kick at the end? Maybe use a Boston box plus instead of an Okito box which would give a total change of all silver to copper to conclude?
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
RJ, I think Roth has a similar idea with the copper and silver coins, maybe a different working. Some of the issues with a routine like this is it gets repetitive and you need to mix it up. By the fourth coin it's a little expected.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
It would be cool to do it 3 times, so they know what to expect the 4th time, but them have something else happen. The surprise would create a greater "wow' factor similar to the final loads of a cups and balls routine.
Reality is a real killjoy.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
I totally agree, that 4 coins may be too much, The reason I went with 4 is the halves fit perfectly in the box, and for my first kicker I was switching in a Boston Box and to do an instant 4 for 4 switch back, the only problem is the English pennies are thinner than the halves. So when they are stacked in the box anyone can notice that they don't fit perfectly. So having an English penny set up in the Boston Box bottom really does not look the same as it did when I started. I thought about maybe having 1 English penny and 3 different coins from other places ala David Roth's Globe Routine. Thank you so much for the input and comments and any suggestions would be much appreciated. Hope you all have a great weekend...CHeers!!!
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
THIS IS STRONG! I can't believe no one praised this routine more. It fooled me. I've been doing coin magic for almost 30 years so I have good idea of the method but initially it got me. It might be a little gutsy (not as gutsy as the using the coppers)but I'd put the silver coins in the spectators hand for the forth coin. You could cut it to to three coins but if you work on the patter, four can be very entertaining. Great job!
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Thanks man, I have actually let the spectators put the coins in the box, You have to have a good read on the person you use. And vise versa having a spectator hold the coins. As soon as a get my camera set up I will post a few versions of this routine. Thanks again for the kind words, glad you liked it. RJ
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Admittedly I watched the routine with the sound off so I can't speak to the presentation. However, overall I really like the routine.

I do agree with others who thought that possibly dropping a silver and a copper coin could be a good thing. Although, if a kicker was implemented, maybe a sudden kickback-style ending the fourth phase/coin could still work. Basically, three coins transpose one-by-one. Then, for the fourth coin you have the kickback ending where the previously three transpose back. I think this would have to be presentationally motivated so that it makes sense so some work there might be needed.

If memory serves me, I think Roth had a similar routine in Expert Coin Magic. I could be wrong. If it's true it might be worth seeing how he addressed this type of effect.

-Bill
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I really like this routine! Very well done. To a non-magician spectator this must be baffling!

Thanks for posting!

Jim
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2015, Bill Citino wrote:
Admittedly I watched the routine with the sound off so I can't speak to the presentation. However, overall I really like the routine.

I do agree with others who thought that possibly dropping a silver and a copper coin could be a good thing. Although, if a kicker was implemented, maybe a sudden kickback-style ending the fourth phase/coin could still work. Basically, three coins transpose one-by-one. Then, for the fourth coin you have the kickback ending where the previously three transpose back. I think this would have to be presentationally motivated so that it makes sense so some work there might be needed.

If memory serves me, I think Roth had a similar routine in Expert Coin Magic. I could be wrong. If it's true it might be worth seeing how he addressed this type of effect.

-Bill

Thanks Bill,
I am looking thru DR's Expert Coin Magic and I only see a 4 for 4 switch, I have shown this routine to many magicians and they all say it's the only "one at a time" transposition they have seen. I am working on the kicker maybe a flash return or change of the copper coins to a different currency (China Half).

But before all that I still need a story line for the presentation, I am having magician story block, I know I can cut it down to 3 coins and just present as trickery, Or I can tell a story using 4 coins and give the effect a reason. I am old school that way.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
As I watched your routine it felt like Roth's Purse and Glass routine, where three silver coins change places one at a time with copper coins that were placed into a purse. Maybe watch or read the routine to get an idea for your own routine.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
I thought you did a great job,
I watched it silently --
kudos to you!
Mike the Magician
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I agree with the "3 rather than 4" comments...it is a bit repetitive. I also have an observation I don't think was mentioned.

I know this was being filmed for critique and may not be an issue when you do it in th real world, but in my view, as you reveal the coins, they are too close on your surface, making it less clear what is happening. For example, at about :37 you have 3 silver, one copper, the empty box, the lid and the other set of 3 copper-1 silver all scattered and overlapping across your close up pad 'stage". It's a confusing picture and starts to blure what is happening - you have lots of elements in one mass. Think through the staging of the effect as you go. The coins shold be widely seperated, not overlapping the space across the front.

6 coins would help, but regardless, a close-up pad is a stage and good "stage management" should be applied.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Dave, Thanks for the input and I agree on the clutter aspect, Normally I would have a much larger surface area. I have done this several times a round table and I empty the box in front of a different spectator. I have even let the spectator put the coin in the box and dump them out of the box. I think I have a kicker worked out still finger busting it out before I re-film the routine again.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Fantastic thinking! I like it a lot!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Thank You...
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, padre rich wrote:
THIS IS STRONG! I can't believe no one praised this routine more. It fooled me. I've been doing coin magic for almost 30 years so I have good idea of the method but initially it got me. It might be a little gutsy (not as gutsy as the using the coppers)but I'd put the silver coins in the spectators hand for the forth coin. You could cut it to to three coins but if you work on the patter, four can be very entertaining. Great job!

I second this. I enjoyed watching it and found it to be terrifically strong. I would give possible consideration to ringing in an Okorto box in order to hand the coins and box out for examination. When it's found that the coins don't even fit in the box, it offers a paradox that stops any theorists in their tracks.

And don't forego the 4 coins. Just come up with a good script and keep it as is. It's an excellent trick and very, very magical.

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Routine (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL