The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Silk through solid silk substitute? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Hello, I was wondering if there was any object or material I could use in place of a silk for the silk through coffee mug sort of penetration. I am looking for something more casual, modern and impromptu looking than a magician's silk that would make sense in a modern context. I've been thinking that the material would need to be rather thin and light in order to be pulled through quickly, and it might not need to be a square of material, but could be a ribbon, string or something similar. Recently I have been testing out squares cut out of grocery bags, which has been working pretty well but is still a bit thick compared to silk or polyester, and looks pretty cheap as well. One upside to the grocery bag is that the noise it makes as it crinkles helps to cover the noise from the r*****, even the crappy one that I have.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5352 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Well before the silk was being used, some magicians used a length of rope. A shoelace or length of ribbon works well. I've seen it done with a man's neck tie and even a bandana.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Thanks, Harry. I remember Michael Ammar saying that the type of silk is important for a good visual effect in his At the Table, but I like the necktie idea and I'm going to try out a soda bottle label (possibly borrowed, with the gimmick secretly attached with tape). With a rope or shoelace, would it be difficult to hide the gimmick?
Thanks, Chris
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5352 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
No more difficult than hiding the working using a silk. Decades ago Paul Diamond put out a video tape on the gimmick. It has not been put out on DVD but if you can find it on DVD I'd get it and watch it. It is one of the best tutorials on the rope/silk through solid object around.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Ammar has also been seen to use a shear, mesh material sold as as head scarf for ladies. Can't say that it is topical... unless you work retirement centers! But you can always say that it was given to you by your grandmother who thought it reminded her of a ghost!
Lynn
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Haha, thanks, Foxbiz! Ammar's penetration with the scarf is in my opinion one of the most beautiful penetration effects of all time. He really did a lot of work searching for the perfect material.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Silk through solid silk substitute? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL