The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » In need of some suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aricker
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of aricker
I sponsor some kids through a charitable organization in the Philippines. Through that organization, I am planning a visit and I want to have a few tricks up my sleeve. I am looking for some suggestions that, as Mr. McBride says, packs small and plays big.
I am thinking there might be some restrictions. First all, you cannot give a child a deck of cards in the Philippines as it is considered insulting. Thus I can't plan on the child knowing suits and such, so any trick they have to remember a selected card is out. "Story" tricks may fine as the language shouldn't be an issue.
The court is not out yet on money magic as these are extremely poor families. Not sure if it would be appropriate. Hundy 500, Extreme Burn comes to mind. Mismade bill is a fun one, but due to the difference in currency may loose it's effect.
I was thinking of Freakey, but I used that in Honduras and the gimick fell out of my pocket while pulling out my phone and was lost. Trying to bite the bullet and buy another one. Possibly some Loop effect. Torn 2 Pieces by Shawn Farquhar is definatley going. Linking Rubberband has potential as well.
I have been looking at some of the other threads concerning close up, impromptu magic, but I kept running in to the potential cultural issue. So does anyone have any suggestions that would pack in your pockets and center more around everyday objects? Keep in mind, we are talking extreme poverty (imagine living on 75 a month with a family of 4).
Thanks in advance for any input.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Sponge ball routines using regular objects!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
GENERIC "PROPS"!!!

I remember doing "2 in the hand, one in the pocket" for some primary school age youngsters while attending a pow wow on the NAVAJO INDIAN RESERVATION. I just picked up four "matching" pebbles. and, did the "standard" routine. The kids were so delighted, and laughed so hard that an old "grandfather" came over to see what that white guy was doing with the youngsters. He observed quietly what I was doing. He smiled, and said: "Nizzhoni" (good!) and slipped away.

A bit of cord (string, rope or ?) can be used for various knot tricks. Add a 4" metal ring, and you have 5-10 minutes more. 3 pieces of rope and you can do the Nightmare.

A TT and you can do the 'salt' trick with sand.

Use your imagination!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
emanuele
View Profile
New user
London
49 Posts

Profile of emanuele
About the money magic, if you consider it that, have you thought about doing a Coins Through Table routine? Slydini has a great method.
You could do it with the lowest coin denominations, playing with the patter about how you only have the 'useless' capability of transferring money through a solid surface, when you'd actually want to be able to make more money. It could all be a big joke if you can play with it and should play well with the 'extremely poor families', since you wouldn't be reproducing loads of money, changing 1 dollar bill into a 100 or something that could be considered hurtful.

Also another torn and restored preceding Torn2Pieces would be good, especially if done with something "really impromptu" like with a rolling paper from someone in the audience, paper napkin, a cigarette and so on. Torn2Pieces could follow as repeat process but ops, something went wrong! XD

Thread of Life can get you a good mileage of minutes of performance if language is not a problem and most importantly, have a look at Rene Lavand's "Tres Migas", his cup and 3 breadcrumbs story effect. It is just breathtaking and you can make up any story/poem you want with it, that could actually inspire your audience and leave them with something to remember.

My two cents Smile

EDIT: Also somethings from Goshman could come in handy, like his salt and pepper shakers routine Smile
Professor Marvel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Professor Marvel
How about bringing a giant bag of elastic bands? There are so many cool and easy to learn tricks that you could do with the kids.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Coins across and paper balls over head
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Adding to Dick's "found pebbles" suggestion above, having a black and white pebble change places in the hands of two spectators is very powerful (nuts, candy, red/green grapes, etc)

Request a copy of "Sleight and the Family Stone" for many similar effects.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Ken!

Good idea! Some sort or wrapped candy (remember chocolate melts--except "M & Ms")

The planned visit may already be a "fait accompli" but, I would definitely "stay" with generic props, like rope, string, small balls, etc.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » In need of some suggestions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL