The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dai Vernon's wand spin (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1167 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi,
I am currently studying Daryl's Master Course - Cups and balls (vol. 2). His presentation of the Dai Vernon routine does not include the wand spin at the vanish of the third ball in stage 2 referenced in "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Lewis Ganson".

So, I am curious;
- Why did Daryl omit this?
- Is this not a part of the "original routine"?
- Is there a video source where I can study it?

I wish you all a splendid week!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1449 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
You may want to get in touch with Bri Watson.
He's a member here, his user name is cupsandballsmagic.
Bri has an excellent book all about the wand spin.
"But there isn't a door"
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I second the Brian Watson booklet, "The Vernon-Mora Wand Spin Workshop." He breaks down the wand spin into two parts: the wand spin itself and the steal, and then puts the two together. I gave up on the wand spin many years ago, but Brian's book has helped me to finally master the move. One thing I was unaware of is the importance of the size of the wand. I was using a wand that is too long and bulky for the move to be done properly. The booklet has many clear photographs illustrating the moves, and if you want to learn the wand spin, it is the way to go. It is very inexpensive as well.

Of the video explanations, I found the explanation given by Mike Rogers on the Stevens video to be the best.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Leo H
All great suggestions for learning the Vernon/Mora wand spin. I would also recommend the Michael Ammar C & B DVDs. The wand spin is on volume 2 and I think he does the wand spin beautifully. The wand should be well balanced and not too large or heavy.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1167 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you very much everyone!!
One last question; how "hard" is the spin considered to be?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The spin itself is just like the baton spin that the baton girls do in high school and college marching bands. With regular, correct practice based on the suggestions that were submitted, you should be fine.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, Leo H wrote:
The spin itself is just like the baton spin that the baton girls do in high school and college marching bands.

Yeah, but in that case there is no steal, which complicates matters. I would say, it's not an easy move to get down.

As a drummer, I used to do a drum stick spin, which is not the same as the spin used in the Vernon/Mora wand spin.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
Quote:
The spin itself is just like the baton spin that the baton girls do in high school and college marching bands.

Yeah, but in that case there is no steal, which complicates matters. I would say, it's not an easy move to get down.

The baton spin is learned first, then the steal is learned after that. Then both are practiced in tandem.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
Quote:

The baton spin is learned first, then the steal is learned after that. Then both are practiced in tandem.

I get it now: you were referring to just the spin part. I'm taking your word, however, that the wand spin is the same as the baton spin since I'm unfamiliar with the latter.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Yup-the wand spin is identical to the baton spin that you see in marching bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdDWwJTRiv0
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Go to:

www.cupsandballsmagic.com

for the above-mentioned booklet, "The Vernon/Moro Wand Spin Workshop."
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I made a small modifacation that greatly aided in my learning of it. I sent you a video.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1167 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all!!
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
If you can get your hands on it, check out David Regal's Cups & Balls routine from his first L&L Video series. He teaches a slightly different handling for the steal, which is very clean (no finger flutter) and might be a bit easier to master.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I learned it from the Dai Vernon Book on the Cups and Balls. There should be NO finger flutter, if you follow the directions there.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ido it backwards Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, KirkG wrote:
I learned it from the Dai Vernon Book on the Cups and Balls. There should be NO finger flutter, if you follow the directions there.

The finger flutter can be camouflaged in the act of kneading your left fist during the spin move. This seems to have originated with Mike Skinner
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1654 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
FYI The instruction in Louis Ganson's (Supreme) book on Vernon is simply wrong, disregard it.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
141 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, KirkG wrote:

The finger flutter can be camouflaged in the act of kneading your left fist during the spin move. This seems to have originated with Mike Skinner

Yeah it's a Skinner idea and I use it all the time. It's reported un the Cups book of Mike Ammar
tvmikek
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tvmikek
I second Uli's suggestion. David Regal's instruction on that DVD was great! It's a hard move, but the way he explains it makes it seem possible to master.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dai Vernon's wand spin (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL