We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dai Vernon's wand spin (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Back to the original topic, I was also a little disappointed with the Daryl Cups and Balls DVD. The Sponge balls one was great and had a ton of stuff. This one felt like they just gave up after a shooting a couple routines and decided to release it anyways.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2015, Pete Biro wrote:
Ido it backwards Smile

The ball falls up?
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2015, AGMagic wrote:
Quote:
Ido it backwards Smile

The ball falls up?

Anti-gravity wand spin.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4711 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2015, AGMagic wrote:
Quote:
Ido it backwards Smile

The ball falls up?

No, but he faces the wall.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The wand spin is not too tough to learn and you can learn it with either hand.
It was omitte because Daryl did nt do it in the routine. Contact him to ask him why.

I learned it from the Ammar book as it has an excellent description but I would also recomend Bri's excellent book as well.

Finger flutter? This occurs from wrong practice and not understanding what Vernon said ...do not try to catch the ball and also move the ball to the correct position for the drop. It is all about timing really.
I cannot say the exact method but you can work it out from that. I think it is the Video #15 with vernon where he explains my above statement. Forgot the vidionics name for that set of tapes. Great stuff on all of them.
Yes I understand what Pete means you can spin the wand in either direction....with either hand.
Normally you spin it Clockwise but counterclockwise can be done as well.

You guys crack me up.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2015, Mobius303 wrote:Finger flutter? This occurs from wrong practice and not understanding what Vernon said ...do not try to catch the ball and also move the ball to the correct position for the drop. It is all about timing really.

The finger flutter in question refers to the hand dropping the ball. The Vernon advice you quoted is meant for the hand catching the ball. Which is golden advice for the receiving hand. The hand dropping the ball has to relax enough to let the ball slip out the bottom. Finger flutter can be tough avoid when letting the ball drop out. The kneading action that Skinner used to camouflage any small flutter does the job well.
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
Ammar's video explains the wand spin pretty well. I had to rewind and watch it in slow motion 20 or so times to understand the spin and the move. I sure wish I hadn't missed baton twirling day at cheerleader camp. Smile Also, even though Ammar doesn't appear to do the 'finger flutter', he does offer an explanation and demonstration of it at the end merely stating that it was a suggestion that Skinner made to him. He describes it as "working the ball" before and after the move.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Vernon also explains ...as does Ammar that the ball does not start in the hand but at the fingertips of the closed hand thus no finger flutter in the dropping hand. Light touch is required either way.
The Skinner kneeding action also is another method that works as well.

I thought we were not supposed to post methods here only in the Secret forums.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21836 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The wand spin Vernon used and did on television series episode , is the simple, 1st method learned by little girls when learning to spin baton's. It uses more wrist action that turns inward. Very simple, and nothing like David Williamson's method that take a lot of practice. It is more of a wrist spin, then a finger spin. You will most likely not want to do once you discover how simple it is, as it takes more talent to make it look like a spin then actually spinning the wand really.

Being you have too fingers free, it is not hard to control and conceal a ball in the hand in motion.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
I have never seen the Williamson method. The version on the Ammar C&B videos are hard enough. Ammar's wand is much thicker than the one that he sells so he can get it spinning and the momentum brings the wand through the entire spin. It's not difficult but it's harder with the thinner one that I have. Ammar even demonstrates the vanish of a tomato at the end of the DVD chapter. Not sure I'll ever get there Smile .
Deceptor
View Profile
New user
Omaha
46 Posts

Profile of Deceptor
I was taught the "spin" described by Bill using wrist action. Not really a spin per se, more of the illusion of a spin.
Always leave yourself an out.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Williamson's spin is the Drummer's Spin. The fist is stationary with the thumb facing upward. The wand is propelled around the outside of the thenar muscle and thumb and rotates 360 degrees. It's a tricky move and you can see it here at 4:12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN4KZ9K5OIw
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The Vernon Wand spin by Michael Ammar he also does the Williamson one at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV-VsiX-Rq4
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
Thanks Leo and Mobius. Ammar does explain both spins in his C&B volume 2 video. I will agree with that the Williamson spin is more difficult. To be honest, I have put more work into the Vernon spin because it has a purpose other than showing a familiarity with your props and just looking plain good. Ok, I'll be honest. I tried the Williamson spin a couple of times and almost lost a couple of teeth. I didn't try it again for the sake of personal safety but will continue to try in the future.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Regular user
Ayrshire, Scotland
195 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
The drummers spin isn't without purpose or simply to display a familiarity with your props - it's real value is that it can be done while concealing a ball in finger palm.

My advice is to keep practicing. It will seem difficult at first but there is a knack to it that you will achieve with time. Once you have it down you'll find it a valuable addition to your routine.

Good luck.

Jim
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
Jim,
What you said makes a lot of sense. I get it now. The Williamson spin is definitely more advanced but I now see the purpose. Thanks for clarifying. I hope the OP forgives me for getting off track a little.

harry
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The Drummer's Spin will have your wand flying all over the place at the beginning. I would practice with a cheap wand and let it hit the walls and furniture. There is definitely a knack to this move, and timing is vital. When you relinquish control of the wand, it has to have enough momentum to go around your thumb.

Jim is correct in that this particular spin creates the illusion of emptiness in the hand.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Best advice I got from Dave was to not try to catch the wand in the Williamson/ drummers spin. When you move your hand you throw the wand making it difficult to get it to do what you want.
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of magojose|
I think it's also taught on the Revelations series where Vernon himself dissects his C&B routine. Also giving an important advice to take in care if you want to get the proper amount of coverage for the vanish of the ball
Unfortunatly I don't remenber on wich disc of the set this is in

Hope to be help on your quest
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2016, magojose |wrote:
I think it's also taught on the Revelations series where Vernon himself dissects his C&B routine. Also giving an important advice to take in care if you want to get the proper amount of coverage for the vanish of the ball
Unfortunatly I don't remenber on wich disc of the set this is in

Hope to be help on your quest

It's on the third DVD: Volume 5/6.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dai Vernon's wand spin (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL