The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Jeff Busby Hallmarked Paul Fox Cups (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I was VERY fortunate to pick up a set of hallmarked Paul Fox Copper Cups at Denny & Lee Magic Studios on Saturday, September 26th while I was there for Dick Oslund's Lecture and book signing event.

I didn't realize until TODAY that the hallmarked sets were made by Busby. You never quit learning as a Magician.....

Just curious as to whether anyone knows how rare these may be?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1817 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I don't believe they were mass produced, but obtainable only by special order. Others here on the Café will no doubt know more about this.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Busby cups were basically produced to order. It is believed by a rather significant number of cup collectors that the first run of hallmarked PF cups were produced by Danny Dew and hallmarked by Busby. The stainless steel hallmarked PF cups were produced specifically by Busby.

I don't believe anyone knows exactly how many sets Jeff produced.

However, there were also a few hallmarked Paul Fox sets that were produced by Rings and Things II.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I didn't no that Jake hallmarked any cup sets . I did know that there were some Chop cups that he hallmarked PF for kicks and giggles.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I have an aluminum chop cup with the PF logo inside. Now I know its origins.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jake!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:
Jake!

XXX

Bill, still at the same # I'm usually available anytime after noon.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'll try to give you a call soon. Right now, my throat is kinda busted out from a bout with a big dust cloud.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have a Paul Fox set by RNT2 and was kind of surprised they aren't hallmarked. I thought THEY own the PF trademark now. Why not use it?
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2015, pepka wrote:
I have a Paul Fox set by RNT2 and was kind of surprised they aren't hallmarked. I thought THEY own the PF trademark now. Why not use it?

There was only 1 set that was hallmarked and it was 1 set of Surgical Stainless, it's in the Museum. They were hallmarked on the outside of the saddle.
There was no way to get them hallmarked on the inside due to the depth of the cups. I was not pleased hallmarking on the outside thus the Stainless
steel was the only set. There were other factors that we looked at but again I wasn't pleased with the results. I think Donnie is having the same issue
with getting the depth problem that I had.

Mad Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I have a set of the Busby brass cups with stress fractures. They look live river illustrations that we see on maps.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Leo H wrote:
I have a set of the Busby brass cups with stress fractures. They look live river illustrations that we see on maps.

I had a similar set that I won on Ebay. I wasn't much for brass and wanted to buy a set of JB Copper cups. There are
ways to fix a crack in brass. It just takes a bit of time, and a process called Magna Fluxing. If you could send me a picture
of the spider cracks and I can let you know if they're worth fixing or just leaving them as is. Jake Jr. does repairs here and
is very good at it.

Mad Jake
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Thank you! Will get on this.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of padre rich
It is possible that jeweler with a laser could repair the cracks. Lazers are becoming fairly commonplace in the jewelry industry (at least in L.A.) Worth a shot anyway.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, padre rich wrote:
It is possible that jeweler with a laser could repair the cracks. Lazers are becoming fairly commonplace in the jewelry industry (at least in L.A.) Worth a shot anyway.

You would need a special laser called a Yag Laser to bond and cut metals. CO2 lasers just don't work quite the same way.

Jake
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Busby cups were basically produced to order. It is believed by a rather significant number of cup collectors that the first run of hallmarked PF cups were produced by Danny Dew and hallmarked by Busby. The stainless steel hallmarked PF cups were produced specifically by Busby.

However, there were also a few hallmarked Paul Fox sets that were produced by Rings and Things II.

Let's not forget that Rings-N-Things spun the last run of PF/DD. Bill correct me if I'm wrong.

Jake
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ahhhhhhhh.............the Magic of St. Louis...!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's absolutely correct. They were really fine cups. They have the Magi-poxy coating.

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:

Let's not forget that Rings-N-Things spun the last run of PF/DD. Bill correct me if I'm wrong.

Jake
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Jeff Busby Hallmarked Paul Fox Cups (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL