The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Jeff Busby Hallmarked Paul Fox Cups (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2180 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Rainbow, if you ever want to sell them, just PM with price and PayPal address, no price haggling guaranteed.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Mad Jake:

Thank you.

PM sent.....
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2180 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Thanks Rainbowguy, I just sent a reply.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Mad Jake, Jr.:

Hope you're doing well....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Copper cups, or more correctly, bronze cups don't seem to have the same problems with "work hardening" that brass cups do. There are several sets of cups in the museum that have cracked from improper annealing or no annealing at all. All of these are brass.

Some of the Paul Fox candy bowls had the same problems.

As far as the prices of the Busby cups are concerned, perhaps they haven't increased in price like one would expect simply because people did not like Jeff Busby.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1145 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, Bill Palmer wrote:As far as the prices of the Busby cups are concerned, perhaps they haven't increased in price like one would expect simply because people did not like Jeff Busby.


I also wondered if Busby's notoriety had affected the desirability of his books and props in the secondary market. The prices these items have commanded in the last 20 years tells me it hasn't. His book on the Palmetto decks keeps selling at healthy prices on the big action site. A copper set of his cups commands about as much as a vintage set of DD/PF cups. On the J.P. Jackson Potter Auction his Chick cups and steel set went for high prices.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Leo H:

Interesting that you would mention J.P.Jackson's Chick Cups on the Potter Auction....

J.P. Was a member of the Houdini Club, a very nice man and a friend, and I remember him showing me his set of brass chick cups many years ago during a Houdini Club Convention. When I bought my set of Paul Fox Busby Hallmarked Cups from Denny Haney in September of 2015, Denny had a set of Paul Fox Chick cups for sale, too....If I remember the price at that time, I believe he was asking for.....I think it was somewhere in the range of $900-$1,250. I don't know or remember if that set was hallmarked but darn....those cups were big and HEAVY and I believe that one of them had a small stress fracture, too.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1145 Posts

Profile of Leo H
THAT was a great anecdote Rainboguy! I'm not surprised that Denny was asking $900 and upwards for that set of brass chick cups. JP's brass set on the Potter Auction sold in that range. This indicates that Busby's notoriety hasn't made a dent in the magic collectibles market. Magic collectors seem to have forgiven his behavior.

Unfortunately time has not been kind to the brass cups that Busby and Danny Dew produced. Quite a number have succumbed to stress fractures over the years. It's prolly a good idea to leave those brass sets on display and not touch them.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, Bill Palmer wrote:
Copper cups, or more correctly, bronze cups don't seem to have the same problems with "work hardening" that brass cups do. There are several sets of cups in the museum that have cracked from improper annealing or no annealing at all. All of these are brass.


Hey Bill! it's been awhile since I've asked this so I thought I might give it another go. Is the cups and balls museum up and running again? And if so might I possibly have access? It's been so long that I cannot remember my old password for the life of me, if that would even be valid now...

Hope you're well, good sir!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2021, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, Bill Palmer wrote:
Copper cups, or more correctly, bronze cups don't seem to have the same problems with "work hardening" that brass cups do. There are several sets of cups in the museum that have cracked from improper annealing or no annealing at all. All of these are brass.


Hey Bill! it's been awhile since I've asked this so I thought I might give it another go. Is the cups and balls museum up and running again? And if so might I possibly have access? It's been so long that I cannot remember my old password for the life of me, if that would even be valid now...

Hope you're well, good sir!


Yes, it's up and running. Go to the cups and balls museum home page and follow the instructions there to get a username and password.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2021, Rainboguy wrote:
Leo H:

Interesting that you would mention J.P.Jackson's Chick Cups on the Potter Auction....

J.P. Was a member of the Houdini Club, a very nice man and a friend, and I remember him showing me his set of brass chick cups many years ago during a Houdini Club Convention. When I bought my set of Paul Fox Busby Hallmarked Cups from Denny Haney in September of 2015, Denny had a set of Paul Fox Chick cups for sale, too....If I remember the price at that time, I believe he was asking for.....I think it was somewhere in the range of $900-$1,250. I don't know or remember if that set was hallmarked but darn....those cups were big and HEAVY and I believe that one of them had a small stress fracture, too.


I have a set of Busby Chick Cups in bronze. They are not hallmarked.

None of my Danny Dew brass PF cups are cracked. At least, they weren't last time I looked!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1145 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, Bill Palmer wrote: I have a set of Busby Chick Cups in bronze. They are not hallmarked.

None of my Danny Dew brass PF cups are cracked. At least, they weren't last time I looked!


The Busby Chick Cups were not hallmarked. Most likely cuz the hallmark punch stamp was not long enough to reach inside the depth of the chick cup.

I have a set of brass Danny Dew PF cups I got cheap from a Martinka auction years ago. All three of the cups are heavily cracked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Jeff Busby Hallmarked Paul Fox Cups (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL