The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen OR Pencil by Mickael Chatelain (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4790 Posts

Profile of videoman
First off, I fully admit that I bought this more as a toy to have something to play around with and to become part of my collection of paddle tricks.
I too thought the angles would be pretty bad, but surprisingly they're not too bad. 180 degrees would be pushing it IMO but 120 or so would be no problem. I usually perform for no more than 3 people so it would work fine for me.
It's very well made and comes with one gimmicked pen/pencil all made up. Then you also get 2 regular pencils and a regular pen.
You also get extra material to make 3 more gimmicks. This is a very nice addition because you may want to make up a gimmick with a different pen. My gimmicked pen has black ink in it.

So I was pleasantly surprised with this prop and I consider it to be a very workable item as long as you understand it's limitations.
This would probably be great for any of those who work in an office or any environment where pens and pencils are common. It would seem very organic in those situations.

It's one of those items where you almost fool yourself in the mirror. I thought the effect would be on par with effects like color changing knife or Chad Long's Flash, but it is actually much more impactful than a mere color change because you are literally turning one object into a completely different object. I hadn't thought of it in that way until I actually got it in my hands and could see that it can look very startling in person.

While I doubt I would vote for it as trick of the year, it is one of those rare effects where I actually like it much more that I expected to.
I'm happy I bought it and it won't just be a collectors item for me.
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
264 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2015, videoman wrote:
First off, I fully admit that I bought this more as a toy to have something to play around with and to become part of my collection of paddle tricks.
I too thought the angles would be pretty bad, but surprisingly they're not too bad. 180 degrees would be pushing it IMO but 120 or so would be no problem. I usually perform for no more than 3 people so it would work fine for me.
It's very well made and comes with one gimmicked pen/pencil all made up. Then you also get 2 regular pencils and a regular pen.
You also get extra material to make 3 more gimmicks. This is a very nice addition because you may want to make up a gimmick with a different pen. My gimmicked pen has black ink in it.

So I was pleasantly surprised with this prop and I consider it to be a very workable item as long as you understand it's limitations.
This would probably be great for any of those who work in an office or any environment where pens and pencils are common. It would seem very organic in those situations.

It's one of those items where you almost fool yourself in the mirror. I thought the effect would be on par with effects like color changing knife or Chad Long's Flash, but it is actually much more impactful than a mere color change because you are literally turning one object into a completely different object. I hadn't thought of it in that way until I actually got it in my hands and could see that it can look very startling in person.

While I doubt I would vote for it as trick of the year, it is one of those rare effects where I actually like it much more that I expected to.
I'm happy I bought it and it won't just be a collectors item for me.



Thanks for your review and your unique perspective, Videoman. I now think I may give this a shot as well.
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Ordered......I've seen this first hand. It's not a magician fooler but it amazes everyone else, we are always looking for the perfect "your a magician...show us a trick then" effect that you can carry everywhere.when done right this really does look like real magic. The clean up is easy so to a spectator this really does look like real magic. And you can't get anything more organic than a pen or pencil....Brilliant ✒️✏️
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I used it last night as a quick observation type presentation. The double takes and verbal reactions had me laughing out loud. I like this very much.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4202 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I got ths today among a few other thing's at the dealer's day in London,my first thought was?,OH my the gimmick look's crap,is this it?,Wrong I can not put it down so simple and so VISUAL,very pleaesd in deed ,good teaching and you get spares's to make more,think they will last a good time,at the moment one of the best buy's so far today,i picked up AMAZE BOX,TROJON HORSE,SIMPLEX MONTY,BULL DOG CLIP and MIRRORS by Diamond Jim Tyler so I have a lot to watch over the weekend and I promise to give you the spin on what I think,for what it's worth.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2438 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
We managed to get a few of the back in to stock yesterday and have just a few left.

They are sold out again with Murphys so it will be some time again before we can get more, but there a few left if you want one.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......ick.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4202 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
We managed to get a few of the back in to stock yesterday and have just a few left.

They are sold out again with Murphys so it will be some time again before we can get more, but there a few left if you want one.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......ick.html


Mark these should sell like hot cakes,it's a nice little number, soooooooooooooooo visual,i done it on FB for friends and has gone down well.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8398 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
We managed to get a few of the back in to stock yesterday and have just a few left.

They are sold out again with Murphys so it will be some time again before we can get more, but there a few left if you want one.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......ick.html


Plus one as I'm sending mine back.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2452 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I know some have been disappointed with this and, to be honest, it is not the sort of effect I usually do. However, knowing quite a few writers, I have enjoyed taking this out from time to time and switching a pen to a pencil in front of their very eyes.

Everytime it has gone down exceptionally well.

From a spectators point of view, this is amazing, visual magic.

Neil
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1890 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Pegasus, what don't you like about it?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
We managed to get a few of the back in to stock yesterday and have just a few left.

They are sold out again with Murphys so it will be some time again before we can get more, but there a few left if you want one.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......ick.html


Plus one as I'm sending mine back.

What didn't you like about it?
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1890 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I haven't seen one in the tricks for sale section. Perhaps, it's not that bad?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2438 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Magic KL wrote:
I haven't seen one in the tricks for sale section. Perhaps, it's not that bad?


It's great trick and very easy to do even my 8 year old daughter can do it!

It is a nice complete package of the gimmick ready made to go out of the packet, matching pencils, a matching pen and extras to make more gimmicks.

In all very good value and an eye popping effect for the spectator.

The handling is very well explained and you end clean at the end.

This will be a trick that we continue to keep in stock after the initial surge of sales slows down.

Stocks are very low now and the supplier has no more at present, check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......ick.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4790 Posts

Profile of videoman
Most people seem to like this trick quite a lot, including myself.
A few may be disappointed because it uses a classic method and not some new-fangled, whiz bang gimmick.
But I think that's a good thing, tried and true methods are usually the best.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8398 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Sorry for those that asked. I kept it after all as it's not as bad as I first thought and I've had quite a good laugh at work with it. I recommend making a second gimmick and performing the 'in hands' change. Looks really cool. I remember there was a colour / color changing pencil routine out some time ago. Anyone remember who by and the name?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1885 Posts

Profile of Platt
Looks very good. but seems less than ideal to clean up. reminds me of an old effect by jesse feinberg called magicap. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9003
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4202 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
It is a good little visual effect and I do the 2 changes after making another one up,it stops people in their tracks for sure.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Never take a boat out without a paddle.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4202 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Never take a boat out without a paddle.

Or be up the creek without a Paddle Brett,lol.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
941 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
The ad copy states that Dynamo has performed this several times on Magician Impossible. Does anyone have an episode number in which this appears?
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen OR Pencil by Mickael Chatelain (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL