The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen OR Pencil by Mickael Chatelain (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4202 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2015, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
The ad copy states that Dynamo has performed this several times on Magician Impossible. Does anyone have an episode number in which this appears?

Yes I wondered what episode Dynamo did this on,i put a vid up on F/B of me doing it for a pro who sometimes comes on here,i won't mentioned his name,and he took it straight off and I will never deal with him again,anyway that's another story.This is so visual and what has been said before,simple but that sometimes is the best.
Mickael
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Mickael
Hi,

this is a link for Dynamo and pen or pencil :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5HHWYEmJZk

Thanks
Mickael Chatelain
www.gimickmagic.com
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
I read that it comes with extras to make more gimmicks but just so I am 100% clear on this. Can the extra stuff be used/adapted to any brand pens? I'd like to do a this, then go straight into pointless and finish off with recapped. (a switch on the off-beat somewhere)
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4202 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, jruiz0216 wrote:
I read that it comes with extras to make more gimmicks but just so I am 100% clear on this. Can the extra stuff be used/adapted to any brand pens? I'd like to do a this, then go straight into pointless and finish off with recapped. (a switch on the off-beat somewhere)

You only get 3 extra gimmicks and not tried it on another pen in case it does not work and would be a waste of a gimmick,sorry not much help.The pencil look's a little different in what Dynamo used on the TV,but still very visual.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
676 Posts

Profile of egoli
I've been doing this at work today - over and over - and it kills. Spectators love it. Easy to do and very visual.

Ed
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Isn´t it VERY easy to flash the gimmick and very hard to hide the gimmick if the person that you are performing it for are either shorter or taller than you? To me, and this is just me speculating(not about the method as it is obvious what is going it), it seems like it would be very easy for someone to see the edges if someone looks at it just slightly off the optimal angle.

Yes, I know, work on your angles, perfect the trick etc, but in the real world it is hard to tell someone to STAY STILL AND DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD, NEITHER UP OR DOWN OR TO THE SIDES!
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
676 Posts

Profile of egoli
I have flashed the gimmick a couple of times but most time it is undetectable. There are two basic presentations and I have found one better than the other. First there is the "in your face" instant change and I have found this arouses some suspicions. The second is the one that I prefer and it involves the misdirection of pretending to disappear the pen cap in the other hand while the dirty work is done in the gimmick hand. This gets a great reaction of shock and surprise that the pen has disappeared and can be done very cleanly.

Ed
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Check out the wizard product review of Pen or Pencil , they did it down and not up . I've adopted that way of handling and it has never failed me . For the pen's always below the waist . There is no angle issues to worry about .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
PhilMagicGuy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of PhilMagicGuy
Only just discovered this. Looks really cool.

All those concerned with angles or people figuring it out, I think your approach may be wrong. At least for this trick in particular.

While I'm sure a lot of you are pulling this off as a standalone piece, I see it more as a piece within another piece. It's something you do on the way to a different trick, and in this way you don't leave time for people to think that the method is obviously xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

It kinda makes me want to revisit Misled. Imagine pulling out a pen and saying you'd rather have a pencil. Put the pen away and grab your pencil. Then that pencil becomes a pen. What?!?!?! No, I needed a pencil. You put it away and grab the pencil. Now you've got your pencil for Misled, and on the way you blew people away with a visual miracle. This would also allow the perfect amount of time for people to say to themselves "that was incredible", and then move them on to the next thing before that "how?" pop into their heads.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4790 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree, I usually do it as a interlude in the middle of something else.
During a card or coin effect I say I'm also going to use this magic wand and pull out a pen..."to the untrained eye this may look like just a pen but it's really a magic pen" then it changes to a pencil and I have a little fun with it, then get back to whatever I was doing.

It not only creates a fun moment, but it's also useful as misdirection. For instance, taking out the pen allows me to ditch a palmed item. Or while doing the pen effect in my right hand I can easily ditch the top card of the deck into my back pocket with my left hand.
That's what I like about these types of effects. They are nice in their own right but also enable you to get away with other sneaky things.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Shameless plug but my little guy used this recently for a video he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbj_S2C422A

Definitely a nice visual moment!
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2016, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Shameless plug but my little guy used this recently for a video he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbj_S2C422A

Definitely a nice visual moment!

Nice preasentation Smile
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2895 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Nice Job !
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Thanks Tophatter and Maxy! Not bad for an 8 year old!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3007 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
"...a little snappy-snappy, a little rub-a-dub-dub, a little wavy gravy..."

LOL! Love it! Great smile at the end, too.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1890 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Two thumbs up!
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Thanks Magic KL and Maxfields!

He is over the moon with all the great feedback. Made his week!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4790 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
"...a little snappy-snappy, a little rub-a-dub-dub, a little wavy gravy..."

Hah, yeah, that was great!!! So fun to watch, a little Gregory Wilson in the making!
My only advice from a video standpoint is perhaps turn off auto-exposure, it can get distracting.
You should be a proud papa!
C. Dunlop Magic
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of C. Dunlop Magic
This is great for social media. I can't think of a practical use in a strolling gig though. But in this social media age, I love how great this looks in a promote.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 3, 2016, videoman wrote:

Hah, yeah, that was great!!! So fun to watch, a little Gregory Wilson in the making!
My only advice from a video standpoint is perhaps turn off auto-exposure, it can get distracting.
You should be a proud papa! [/quote]

Thanks Videoman...thats very high praise! Definitely a proud papa and he is now more eager than ever to do more magic on his channel (along with some shenanigans).

He shot it on the laptop camera but agree that the quality was bad...lighting was distracting. Will try messing with the auto exposure for sure.

thanks again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen OR Pencil by Mickael Chatelain (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL