The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Word Smyth by Francis Menotti (as seen on Fool Us) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, randyburtis wrote:
Can you tell us the word. I only ask because I do a lot of message magic and if that word can link into some teaching point that is an added bonu



We’re very happy to tell you the force word, but it doesn’t feel right doing that in a public forum as it will be used by other performers and we don’t want it searchable for their sakes. So here’s a hint: it’s a job title for someone who does work similar to an artist. If you want the specific word just email us at magic@vanishingincmagic.com

Hope that helps!
-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Thanks Kyle!
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
rooti4
View Profile
New user
Quebec City
28 Posts

Profile of rooti4
Would it be possible to change the word to a French word ? This is the only way this trick would be of any use to me. My audience being french, it does not make sense to use English.
Burf
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, South Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Burf
Would be good if you could have the option of purchasing other words to reveal.
If you had a five night gig (for example), being able to reveal a different word each night would be awesome.
Not to mention staff or anyone attending more than once would be totally blown away - implies real magic rather than a force.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This looks kinda interesting but in watching the P&T episode I was absolutely floored that they paid no attention to the bag???? Unless the bag was a red herring.

Typically with a bag like that it would be tres risky (as Francis boldly did on the show) to hand the bag out and then get passed along. What if someone looks down - sees the exact one they want and tries to grab it?

So is it a F style or not? I'm assuming now that it was more of a red herring to fool them - especially with the mesh material.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You could negate the same word being used with an angle/presentation...you could say you played a scrabble champ and you beat him, so you ended up with a 'lucky' word...you always look to spell it if you play scrabble cos you believe it helps you win...

#randomthought
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think we can, but I will ask...

Swop out the dictionary for the OSW book, the Official Scrabble Words 'kinda' dictionary...

Feels more congruent to the premise...
I've asked to be banned
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5484 Posts

Profile of RNK
I did take the plunge on this yesterday and will post my thoughts when I get it. I will say I am not a big Francis Menotti fan but Word Smyth looks like a great routine that is versatile enough to play to different performance venues with a nice price tag for what you get.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5484 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
/quote]


We deliberately included a different word to the one on the trailer (and on Francis’ Fool Us performance). It is not easy to switch out different words, but we don’t feel like this is a trick you would repeat as such. If you ever want to permanently switch your force word we do have a few replacement gimmicks with another word and would be happy to help



Well- I wander why Vanish would state the above that replacement gimmicks with another word would be available. I emailed Vanish this morning asking about the cost of a replacement gimmick and another word and their response was:

"Thank you for your email. At the moment, we are not selling replacement gimmicks I'm afraid. However, we have had them made so that they should be long lasting. All of the force words are the same."

I replied in an email to Vanish that they stated replacement would be available but I did not get a response back. That being said it looks like we don't know IF and WHEN replacement will be available. Kind of a bummer as I have a few situational gigs coming up that would require me to have a few different words. Very disappointing that Vanish would say this and not deliver.

Of course I still think Word Smyth looks good but I will post my thoughts when I get my order. However, in the future I guess I will have to check first with Vanish on what they state is in fact what they mean. I never had problems with Vanish stating false information before and hope this is not a road they will start traveling down.

RNK
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
200 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
This looks great. Would love to see who this could be originated back to as I have seen routines like it before. Also, I cannot believe this flew past Penn and Teller. You could spot the fake tip pencil from a mile away.

For those of you worrying about switching the word. This routine can be done with an ung*******d tile tray. Just use the forcing bag and the pencil. I would even go so far as to say that with a large enough crowd and spectators that won't talk to each other afterwards you don't need the forcing bag. Or don't use a forcing bag, but then don't have the spectators view their tiles until you reveal them. That would of course need to be done very fairly by the performer.

Just some ideas.

Good routine Francis.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Nice work on revealing a few tools of there trade there so openly Smile
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yes that was a little too much there in an open forum.

Ok so let's think this routine through beyond the fact that P&T were supposedly fooled:

A) The bag looks suspicious and out of place. Ideal as a red herring for P&T, but in a regular show that you or I might do? Personally any ziplock or more organic bag would look better. Now I'm assuming the bag was just a throwaway. But it does look out of place and like nothing one might buy in a store.

B) The performer end up handling the tiles and creating the final reveal. For me this is a fundemental structural weakness of the effect. Lots of things can happen from the time the performer plays with the tiles. Sure it's a scrabble theme and it's part of the game to make a word - but the final reveal feels weak (regardless of P&T being fooled).

C) Why didn't Francis play up the inherent Scrabble theme rather than all the over the top gobbley gook? No biggee but is the routine provided that one? Again - perfect for P&T but not so much in a regular show. Obviously people will routine as they want.

D) The trey seems like the most interesting piece of the puzzle - and perhaps a reason to get this.

E) The book thing was straight from Hoy and Osterlind. Classic stuff.

I'm on the fence with this one.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
200 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
I would not have used those terms so openly but they are in the ad copy.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
For me (and perhaps for other local performers who do return engagements for groups with some return attendees), being able to buy word options is imperative. If I have several options, I will spring for it. In not, no way.

George
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, IAIN wrote:
I think we can, but I will ask...

Swop out the dictionary for the OSW book, the Official Scrabble Words 'kinda' dictionary...

Feels more congruent to the premise...



Totally! The book is ungimmicked and you could use any book you like as long as it has the reveal word in it.
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
/quote]


We deliberately included a different word to the one on the trailer (and on Francis’ Fool Us performance). It is not easy to switch out different words, but we don’t feel like this is a trick you would repeat as such. If you ever want to permanently switch your force word we do have a few replacement gimmicks with another word and would be happy to help



Well- I wander why Vanish would state the above that replacement gimmicks with another word would be available. I emailed Vanish this morning asking about the cost of a replacement gimmick and another word and their response was:

"Thank you for your email. At the moment, we are not selling replacement gimmicks I'm afraid. However, we have had them made so that they should be long lasting. All of the force words are the same."

I replied in an email to Vanish that they stated replacement would be available but I did not get a response back. That being said it looks like we don't know IF and WHEN replacement will be available. Kind of a bummer as I have a few situational gigs coming up that would require me to have a few different words. Very disappointing that Vanish would say this and not deliver.

Of course I still think Word Smyth looks good but I will post my thoughts when I get my order. However, in the future I guess I will have to check first with Vanish on what they state is in fact what they mean. I never had problems with Vanish stating false information before and hope this is not a road they will start traveling down.

RNK



Hey RNK!

I see where the confusion is, the person you spoke with must have thought you meant that you wanted a whole new gimmick and not just the reveal word. Does that make sense? Sorry about that. shoot me an email Kyle @ vanishingincmagic.com

I'll get it sorted out for you!

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5484 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
/quote]


We deliberately included a different word to the one on the trailer (and on Francis’ Fool Us performance). It is not easy to switch out different words, but we don’t feel like this is a trick you would repeat as such. If you ever want to permanently switch your force word we do have a few replacement gimmicks with another word and would be happy to help



Well- I wander why Vanish would state the above that replacement gimmicks with another word would be available. I emailed Vanish this morning asking about the cost of a replacement gimmick and another word and their response was:

"Thank you for your email. At the moment, we are not selling replacement gimmicks I'm afraid. However, we have had them made so that they should be long lasting. All of the force words are the same."

I replied in an email to Vanish that they stated replacement would be available but I did not get a response back. That being said it looks like we don't know IF and WHEN replacement will be available. Kind of a bummer as I have a few situational gigs coming up that would require me to have a few different words. Very disappointing that Vanish would say this and not deliver.

Of course I still think Word Smyth looks good but I will post my thoughts when I get my order. However, in the future I guess I will have to check first with Vanish on what they state is in fact what they mean. I never had problems with Vanish stating false information before and hope this is not a road they will start traveling down.

RNK



Hey RNK!

I see where the confusion is, the person you spoke with must have thought you meant that you wanted a whole new gimmick and not just the reveal word. Does that make sense? Sorry about that. shoot me an email Kyle @ vanishingincmagic.com

I'll get it sorted out for you!

-Kyle


Ok. Thanks Kyle. I sent you an email.

Thanks,
RNK
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Also to pull this apart more - in the performance no one as I recall ever reviews or looks at the tiles in the bag to make certain there is a varied selection.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5484 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Also to pull this apart more - in the performance no one as I recall ever reviews or looks at the tiles in the bag to make certain there is a varied selection.


Why would you have to prove that when the tiles are clealry visible from inside the mesh bag and seen to be different?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I don't know - I never saw any tiles.

Just because it was see through I have no idea as a spectator as to whether many of them repeat - was there a fair mix?

I think anyone pulling this apart after might wonder.

When we do a book test why do we at least minimally show that there is a fair selection of pages /words etc?

The whole effect for me didn't feel airtight enough - maybe a magician once again playing in the mind reader sand box. The result for me is an effect that even if it fooled P&T falls flat as a routine as there are more holes than Swiss cheese. The gimmick may be James Bond cool but the routining here overall made it feel like a magic trick.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Word Smyth by Francis Menotti (as seen on Fool Us) (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL