The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Word Smyth by Francis Menotti (as seen on Fool Us) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
Hey friends!

WordSmyth by Francis Menotti is now available!

We are very proud to present Francis Menotti's hit effect, which just fooled Penn & Teller. Wordsmyth is mentalism with fascinating props and an intriguing plot.

In an amazing coincidence, a spectator randomly selects a word from a dictionary as participants take randomly selected Scrabble tiles from a net bag. These tiles are formed into any word...that perfectly matches the prediction.

Like all of Francis's work, this is everything we love about great magic. He has spent years refining the presentation and method, he has chosen an offbeat premise, and he has whittled it down to the potent essentials. It is, truly, a worker.

What do you get, you ask? Everything. You get the forcing bag, the necessary Scrabble tiles, the custom made tray for the tiles (which has the slickest switching device you can imagine built into it), the fake-tip pencil, and the perfect storage case to keep the props together. You also get a DVD detailing every aspect of the trick and presentation. The only thing you need to supply is a soft-back book or dictionary.

Is it hard to do? Not at all. This is one that you can insert into your parlor show to add something truly unique and different.

What if I'm performing in another language? Bueno! Bien! Gut! We have decals available upon request so you can force words in German, Spanish, and French. You can choose these when you add the product to your cart.

"If you like to stupefy, mystify, and flabbergast your audiences, then you will definitely want this lexical trick which will amuse, delight, charm, and entertain the most discriminating crowds (not to mention deceive, fool, and hoodwink them)."
John Lovick

Here's a quick Q&A to answer some of your questions!

You can't see those tiles in the Big picture of the mesh bag???
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Seanamon
View Profile
New user
Victoria, Texas
70 Posts

Profile of Seanamon
Quote:
I cannot believe this flew past Penn and Teller. You could spot the fake tip pencil from a mile away.

Are you serious dude?

Seanamon
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, Seanamon wrote:
Quote:
I cannot believe this flew past Penn and Teller. You could spot the fake tip pencil from a mile away.

Are you serious dude?

Seanamon

Its in the ad- copy.
Yes I am serious.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
I don't know - I never saw any tiles.

Just because it was see through I have no idea as a spectator as to whether many of them repeat - was there a fair mix?

I think anyone pulling this apart after might wonder.

When we do a book test why do we at least minimally show that there is a fair selection of pages /words etc?

The whole effect for me didn't feel airtight enough - maybe a magician once again playing in the mind reader sand box. The result for me is an effect that even if it fooled P&T falls flat as a routine as there are more holes than Swiss cheese. The gimmick may be James Bond cool but the routining here overall made it feel like a magic trick.

On this note, it's up to you if you want to pull the random letters out and show them. Francis decided not to but there's nothing stopping you from having the spectator reach inside and pull out random letters to prove they are truly mixed up and different.

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, rooti4 wrote:
Would it be possible to change the word to a French word ? This is the only way this trick would be of any use to me. My audience being french, it does not make sense to use English.

It is available in FRENCH , Spanish , German and English here : when you put the item in the cart , simply choose French !

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......rdsmyth/
Seanamon
View Profile
New user
Victoria, Texas
70 Posts

Profile of Seanamon
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, pelicantrapper wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you serious dude?

Seanamon

Its in the ad- copy.

Yes I am serious.

My bad...I guess they exposed more than I would have expected. But you're absolutely right. I apologize

Seanamon
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Seanamon wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, pelicantrapper wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you serious dude?

Seanamon

Its in the ad- copy.

Yes I am serious.

My bad...I guess they exposed more than I would have expected. But you're absolutely right. I apologize

Seanamon

I agree. It was more than I expected as well. Thank you. I appreciate it.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Can anyone explain why it uses a force bag AND switch stand? Doesn't that seem redundant?
Official Thread Killer
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Stucky-

Force bag to get the right grouping of letters.

Switch stand to get the exact letters needed.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Stucky you can do the routine without the Force Bag, however it's included as an added convincer, since you'll be able to flash letters that are in the final word
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
Move over Mark Mason and Christopher Ballinger (formerly from Magic Geek), the magic fraternity officially has place to see dealer demo and a place to showcase new upcoming products.....its cool Penn and Teller fool us!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Stucky you can do the routine without the Force Bag, however it's included as an added convincer, since you'll be able to flash letters that are in the final word

But see I'm with Stucky on this.

Instead of a "convincer" that' sack of mesh pantyhose looks completely out of place and totally not needed. I see that the grouping is needed for the spectators benefit in the end - ok / but why not just f the letters in the first place - with something other than a suspicious looking mesh pantyhose bag?

Look - this may be Francis' treasured baby but (Imo) this is in no way an earth shattering well thought out routine. I would only buy this for the tray at this point and then rework this so it makes more sense.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
When I first saw this performed on P&T FU, I have to admit it left me cold.
Too proppy and convoluted, and not that entertaining IMO other than Menotti's fancy patter.
Despite fooling P&T the ending just wasnt all that mind blowing to me.
rooti4
View Profile
New user
Quebec City
28 Posts

Profile of rooti4
As an alternative for those who are not very hot with the reveal, or the way the word is chosen. I thought maybe this could be made to work with Double Clip Line form Devin Knight. As both effects could be long if done back to back, Double Clip Line could be performed first do a quick trick in between, while one spec is holding the news column, and then make the reveal using Word Smyth. Or maybe do Word Smyth first and then Double Clip Line as a second phase. Is it too much ? Maybe difficult to believe that much coïncidences ? Could fit if a portion of the show is about coincidences with a few more tricks that would stick to this theme. Just a thought.

And thanks for the reply on the French and other languages issue.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Stucky wrote:
Can anyone explain why it uses a force bag AND switch stand? Doesn't that seem redundant?

Y E S
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I received this yesterday from Penguin magic. My initial thought upon opening the package was that the props looked kind of chintzy. But after watching the video tutorial (which was short and sweet and right to the point), they are just fine to perform the effect. Even the wedding gift looking bag does its job fine. You could substitute one of the nice Zip-lock Carlyle forcing bags but the mesh bag is small, fits inside the travel case and works. The switching stand is clever but without saying too much you'll need to break it in a little bit to get it operating smoothly. Several of the Scrabble tiles were missing letters on them. I don't know if this was due to the production process but just wanted to mention this. I was also missing the special pencil despite the package being factory sealed. I just sent a message to Penguin asking them to ship a replacement.
Overall, this does exactly what it says and requires no technical skill except for a well-written script. It's ideally suited for parlor work as was indicated in the ad copy.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
...One more thing. Having the switch stand and forcing bag is NOT redundant. In fact, it is the STRENGH of the routine. For example, it allows the performer golden opportunities to say things like, "Who chose the letter "T"? And have that very person acknowledge the fact. This point is hugely clever and really SELLS the selection process. Everybody that picked letters will SEE theirs on the stand. Without giving anything away, the pencil circled word is a bit too perfect in my opinion. I would have the circle just barely touching one or two of the letters. Then you could use Richard Osterlind's clever ploy from his magazine test by saying, "What word does your drawn circle closest too?"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well based on Jared's recommendations I just ordered this.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Well based on Jared's recommendations I just ordered this.

Hey Brett, would appreciate your review after you receive.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You know me Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Word Smyth by Francis Menotti (as seen on Fool Us) (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL