The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Mint from Johnson Products (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Has anyone seen a video of this old product being done? I've got an idea for a spellbound routine that somewhat relates to "The Mint" and just looking for some other ideas or references.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I saw many years ago a gentleman do the best version of this. He started with a glass ball and blew on it rather hard and it turned into a glass vial. Then the end of the vial was twisted shut and the center was twisted as well. He then blew again to make sand appear inside to make an egg timer or hour glass.
It was a really nice routine.

_
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I always thought the routine was a bit cumbersome. Maybe someone can improve it, but I never liked the original routine.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thanks guys! The video was good, although I feel it's probably heavily aided by the background
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I used to perform it (years ago, and not so great) but I followed it right up with "Silver Extraction" and the two played great together. A very "full circle" routine.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I too think the idea is intriguing, but like Michael Rubinstein, find it to be cumbersome and, actually, impractical. The video is obviously not a real-world performance.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
The reason for my question is that I've come up with a short, multi-sequenced spellbound routine using a ball bearing and a half dollar. I'm stuck with how to end it and/or what else to throw into the mix. I remembered seeing this product long ago, but I think it may be a dead end. I do, however, like the idea of a ball bearing changing into a slick and back again, then ending on a production of a real coin from the slick, which is totally do-able as opposed to dealing with a change of 4 objects.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
I too think the idea is intriguing, but like Michael Rubinstein, find it to be cumbersome and, actually, impractical. The video is obviously not a real-world performance.

Ray, I agree with you. This Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEU4te2dtKw is obviously not a real-world performance.
Still looks very nice. This effect has always fascinated me.

I have "The Mint" also.
Lately when I read this thread, I've been thinking how to show "The Mint" at the Close Up conditions.

I have changed a bit the effect.

EFECT:
I show a metal cube.
I take the lighter and heat the cube in my hand.
I open my hand and you will see a metal ball.
Now I transform the ball into a disk.

I take a half dollar out of my pocket and put it on the table.
I touch the half dollar (kennedy side) with my fingers, and I touch the disc.
Suddenly I have a half dollar in my hand, you can see the kennedy.
I see the other side. It can be seen a disc.
I turn the Kennedy half dollar on the table and touch this side (the seal of the United States) with my fingers.
Now I touch the disc with my fingers and and the other side of the disc has disappeared.
I have a real half dollar in hand.

And here's the video.
Here you can see what I mean.

"The Mint":
https://vimeo.com/142677053

What do you think?

dj
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good job at it dj. Smile

I had been thinking how I would do this and thought of some of the very same things in making this old effect work and or perhaps work better.

And I love when folks throw it all on the line and show what they can do here with the idea of it all. There's often times some progress is in there somewhere. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
MB my man,

If you come up with a good routine for this please let me know. I bought this trick from a local magic shop 20 years ago and have never used it.
Would love to have a good routine for it and I know you are just the right person to come up with it. I am thinking the MB crimp change may be in there somewhere Smile

Best,

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2015, TC Ryder wrote:
MB my man,

If you come up with a good routine for this please let me know. I bought this trick from a local magic shop 20 years ago and have never used it.
Would love to have a good routine for it and I know you are just the right person to come up with it. I am thinking the MB crimp change may be in there somewhere Smile

Best,

TC

@TC
How do you imagine The Mint?
Is my routine (my thoughts on "The Mint") is not good enough?

dj
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
DJ,
I liked your routine.
I have known MB for a long time and was giving him a jab since he chimed in.

Keep up the good work DJ. I may just pull mine out again and try your routine.

Best,

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
TC, my man! Smile

Good to hear from you here my old friend. Hope all is well. Smile

Hey remember our times at coffee shops along Time Square in NYC, doing magic there for people in shops and out on the streets? What fun! Smile

The Mint is an old effect, I remember from decades back. Always found it interesting but never got around to picking it up.

And yeah, I can see the CC at work here maybe to progressively help it along a bit. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, bigfoot wrote:
I saw many years ago a gentleman do the best version of this. He started with a glass ball and blew on it rather hard and it turned into a glass vial. Then the end of the vial was twisted shut and the center was twisted as well. He then blew again to make sand appear inside to make an egg timer or hour glass.

Do you mean the "Morphing" routine of Marc DeSouza?

"Morphing" - Marc DeSouza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZK5mJTNXgE

dj
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
I used to have this and it was a great little piece. Basic sleights but worth the practice
NPortMagic
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Looking for something else, I stumbled across this old thread. We now know what this turned into: recoil! Wonderful to see how the idea evolved after time. Smile
peterwatch
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of peterwatch
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
Looking for something else, I stumbled across this old thread. We now know what this turned into: recoil! Wonderful to see how the idea evolved after time. Smile

I love Recoil. Smile
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, bigfoot wrote:

Do you mean the "Morphing" routine of Marc DeSouza?

"Morphing" - Marc DeSouza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZK5mJTNXgE

dj

Actually the routine is the brainchild of David Harkey and can be found in his book, Simply Harkey.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:

Wow! Great find! I'm pretty sure this is the seed of that idea.

Took some years of refining, playing, and even hibernation, but eventually I was happy with what it turned into.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Mint from Johnson Products (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL