We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September & October 2015 entrée: The Jack - Jorge García » » Tips for TV Presentations » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
Hey Guys! For 2 years and a half I have been performing on TV weekly on a Talk show. Here I'll share some ideas and what I consider I've learned through this time.

First idea

If the TV show is transmitted live you may find yourself being cut off because they run out of time or because they have another guest in the show and he is getting more attention than you, so maybe you are not able to do what you consider to be your strongest piece (and your finale).

I've learned that if at the beginning of your presentation you address the host and the audience and place and envelope with a "prediction" saying that this mystery is going to be the last thing you will do, you will have a great advantage just because the TV show now has to finish this situation for their audience in some way. You are signaling the TV director that when his time is up he has to solve this. Obviously this should be your strongest piece but in some way they can not cut you off. Maybe you do not want to close with a prediction, but you may think about what you can do in some way to take an advantage in this kind of situation.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
This is an excellent tip. It's similar to asking open ended questions...forcing someone to elaborate vs. just giving a "yes" or "no" response. Brilliant, Sir!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
Yes Mike! that s a good idea too!!

Other idea is to not to be afraid of being ready to do any trick that does not involve any props and can be done immediately. I do not mean this should be part of your repertoire but if they ask you to perform something you should look relaxed (remember? you are the gifted guy) and respond instantly. Sometimes we worry that everything we do on TV should be a killer and I think it is more important that people at home like you and connect with you. Remember, you are selling yourself there and by the way, talk show directors and hosts want to do a show that will be liked by the audience. You are part of something bigger so try to be part of the team.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Absolutely! Ratings are currency! My wife and I were just having a similar discussion the other day. I told her that we, as performers, sometimes forget that simpler is better and more effective. Just becuase we have seen the effect a million times, and know it to be something that would never fool other performers...the audience still hasn't seen it, or doesn't know the secret. Most importantly, it kills! We tend to overcomplicate things so to speak. Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
563 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
This is great advice for all experience levels. And not just limited to television. I will remember this and take everything in this post to heart. It really seems like the kind of sound advice to use in all aspects of magic, AND life in general. Thanks! Cheers!
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
Another tip is... Always arrive early. Walk around the studio and listen! Many many times guest or host are talking with friends and producers and not paying attention to you so there is a big chance to get some golden info you can use later. Sometimes I do a pre show to a famous artist and when I m on air I do not feel the need to use it or sometimes due to lack of time in the show I do not perform that material so what o I do? I note the info in my notebook. Who knows when I might find this famous artist again and if this happens I have some info to use...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September & October 2015 entrée: The Jack - Jorge García » » Tips for TV Presentations » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL