The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Quick tricks for beginners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
I'm part of a service fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega) at the university I attend and we are getting ready to host a region conference (Ok so it's in Nov. I'm preping early). Our theme is the magic of service, and as one of the sessions that we offer for training, I would like to do a short session on magic. Now I have my favorites, but I was wondering what other people's opinions were on teaching some tricks to potential very newbies, with the possibility of some not-so-newbies in attendance too. I'm looking for no prop/cheap prop ideas, with a variance of styles (not all mental magic or card tricks). What tricks would you guys suggest, and are some of your favorites? Tricks I like for simplicity, ease and cost efficency (best bang for your buck) are Self Folding Bill, 3-Question Prediction (1 step ahead principal), Elephants In Denmark, and revelations after card forces.

Thanks!
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
One of my favorites would be a cups and balls routine. You can buy some paper cups, use tissue paper for balls and a pen for a wand. Stick to a very primary routine with no sleights.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Don't forget the Linking Paper Clips, where two paper clips are put on a folded bill and, when the bill is pulled open, the clips link.

And Loop-La, an effect using two smallish cloth rings of different colors. The top one is hooked over your finger and the second one hangs from it; when you pull on the top one, they switch places.

And, finally, the jumping rubberband. A rubberband put over the first two fingers of the hand leaps to the second two fingers.

Three great teaching tricks at a total cost of well under a buck. And each one is open to a dozen or more story variations.
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
How about Scotch and Soda?
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Jaymes, get any of Fulves' Self-Working magic books. If you're assuming your audience doesn't know diddly about squat in magic, then it's important that the effects be easy, easy, easy to do, with maximum impact. Fulves' books do that. His Self-working Card Magic book has several effects I still use regularly.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Try the professors nightmare. 20 bucks of rope at home depot and you're golden!

Pete
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
Thanks all. Brian, I had thought about doing S&S too but with me living >1 hr fom a shop, suggesting it to people to go and buy...I'm not quite sure. I hadn't thought of Prof. Nightmare though, I don't do a lot of rope stuff, but that's a excellent suggestion, along with Easy Cups and Balls, and Loop-la.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Quick tricks for beginners (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL