The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What drew you to mentalism? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
545 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
It is so interesting to me, but it seems like it would be a very tricky genre to practice.

What advice would you want to share if you could go back and give a message to yourself when you were first starting out?

What is it about mentalism that 'floats your boat'?
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
545 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I guess the mentalists aren't interested in elaborating.
BalloonThief
View Profile
New user
California
63 Posts

Profile of BalloonThief
You might get more responses if you asked this down in the mentalism forum, Penny for your thoughts.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Once you've been in magic a while, you find two things. Mental tricks go over very well and as a general rule you don't require a lot of props or equipment. Most mentalist carry their entire show in a brief case or even in a pocket. Plus, if you are into performing, mentalism is all about performance. A great area to work on one's acting skills.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

Profile of Shurikenstorm5
I prefer mentalism because of the image it gives. I prefer the image of someone who can read thoughts (or whatever it is that the mentalist claims to read such as body language or horoscopes) rather than someone who just knows a few tricks. Card magic is generally also dismissed as sleight of hand. Even if the spectator has no clue how you did what you did, they may say, "he's very good with sleight of hand." Thinking that this means they know how the trick was done, even though they have no clue. Mentalism often leaves the spectators with no idea what could've happened, so they can't make general assumptions like sleight of hand and dismiss the effect.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
I started with mentalism because there are some very powerful effects that you can perform reasonably early on.

Cards and coins initially felt like techniques that would take years to master.

However, as I've learnt more I've found some very simple card tricks that are mystifying and some mentalist tricks that will take a lot of work to pull off well!
russellajallen
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of russellajallen
I'm still a beginner really, was into magic more as a teenager but revisited it again a few years ago. I now purely do mentalism. I'm into mentalism because I believe that it's the most believable form of magic. I think with Magic tricks, as amazing as they can be, and there has been some AMAZING stuff out there - it still remains a trick rather than real. Mentalism could be the real deal.

I also like the challenge of selling the material and the acting.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I enjoy mental effects, and the 'strength' of them in a culture that craves the paranormal but has generally eschewed 'magic' and religion, but mentalism as the 'pure' art form isn't really for me. I much prefer doing some mental magic effects amongst other magic stuff (and other stuff too, like gambling, spooky, and juggling and cardistry etc). Fits my personal style better.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Mentalism intrigues me. I never thought I'd go for it, but now I'm finding some effects that I like. Often, I see the plot of mentalism as similar to the plot of card tricks. Pick a card, lose a card, find the card. Think of something -- yeah, I knew it. It's that sameness of plot that makes it a bit "thin" for me. Also, there are so few TA-DAH! moments -- just silent puzzlement. I guess that's where the acting is needed so much. And Derren Brown certainly is a great example of injecting energy into these plots and making his effects strongly visual. I like mentalism for all the points mentioned in previous posts, but I'm not fully comfortable with it in general.
Jacob3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jacob3
Oz Pearlman on AGT Smile
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
210 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
I have recently begun exploring mentalism.

I have a deep background in acting, and I have always leaned heavily on presentation in magic.

Performing mentalism has been a joy, and feels very empowering.
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of pancho247
For me Derren brown. His shows are fantastic. He floors people.
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
I was looking for magic stuff at penguin and then I saw "Name and Place" by Bob Cassidy. After I watched the trailer, I fall in love with mentalism. THANK YOU BOB!!!
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2015, pcrpttc wrote:
I was looking for magic stuff at penguin and then I saw "Name and Place" by Bob Cassidy. After I watched the trailer, I fall in love with mentalism. THANK YOU BOB!!!

This was the first mentalism effect I performed. Still one of my favourites.
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2015, pancho247 wrote:
Quote:

This was the first mentalism effect I performed. Still one of my favourites.

I know! it is so powerful and direct.
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
If Merlin actually existed there would be no boundaries to his magic and skills. It would be fun to be Merlin. I enjoy astonishment. It would be wonderful to create wonder and awe for other people.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:

A very good effect if performed right.
Todd
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
I'm just starting to get into mental-ism, sadly ive come down with a condition that is making it hard to do the harder sleights. Just about to buy heirloom deluxe it has always intrigued me since its original release so I thought what the heck. I hope a am not disappointed.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
It's hard for me to make a case that I wanted to produce wonder. If that's all I wanted, I would have given a presentation about YV Canis Majoris, a star 5,000 light years away that, if it were an empty sphere, could fit our sun inside of it 6.3 billion times. Earth could fit inside our sun 1.3 million times.

That produces more wonder in me than mentalism ever has.

I got into mentalism so I could have fun while the audience admired my counterfeit skills. Mentalism produced a stronger reaction than magic did, so I pursued it.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
After watching Max Maven at a convention.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What drew you to mentalism? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL