The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I sucked! (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi,
Had a show a couple of days ago and I did NOT do a good job.
I prepared for a strolling job with your typical close-up effects but I immediately ended up in a "stage show" situation. I did not have time to reset, prepare for the next routine or grab props from my case inbetween routines. I should have turned around in the door and proceed with "plan b".
Plan a was to do the typical 3 sets of 3 but that went straight out the window.

At the end of the day the client was happy and I got paid but I really feel I should have delivered so much better.
The audience (19 people at the end of a day long seminar) was kind and paid attention. But believe me, my performance was lacking.

So, what should/could I have done?
What would you do?
What would your plan b be?
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Your comfort level probably dropped when you were asked to do a stage show. With good audience management and only 19 people to entertain, instead of going from strolling to stage show, you should have went from strolling to street magic. 19 people standing around you is doable and is more likely in your comfort zone as opposed to stage. With your 3 sets on you, you could've gotten a solid 20 min, which would have been enough after a day long seminar. As always, you live and learn.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Just curious. You mentioned that you prepared for a strolling job but that went out the window. Did you discuss the venue with the person that hired you? Did you ask the proper questions so that you were not taken by surprise?
Sometimes things happen where you ask all the right questions and thoroughly discuss the clients needs but when you get to the venue they change things up on you.

I always use a performance agreement detailing the particulars of the show which they sign.
Also you just have to be prepared with some effects that play for a bigger audience. When I entertain at my restaurant gigs I have effects that play for a large table 20+ people.

For example : Max Maven's B-Wave, a rope routine, paper hat tear, even a card to wallet or impossible location.

I also find out how many people are expected, that way you can determine if strolling is not feasible and a parlor style/ stage is more appropriate. Anyway it sounds like they were pleased and it's good that you were seriously evaluating yourself and the situation. That' s how we all learn.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
First the "typical 3 sets of 3".... what is that and why? I see it all the time and it seems crazy.

What do you mean by stage show? For 19 people? Do you mean you got up with a mic and lights or what?

The problem may be in the booking process. Do you know how many will be there? All these quarks are easily asked and fixed prior to a plan b. Good to evaluate so you know next time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
First the "typical 3 sets of 3".... what is that and why? I see it all the time and it seems crazy.

Preach it, brother DD!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:

Preach it, brother DD!

Don't encourage me!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Danny, when I think you are on the right path, I intend to encourage you. That may not be always (LOL) but some things just need to be said. I've been trying to say this very same thing for a long time. I am amazed at how many magicians have flocked to this very limiting idea. (The rest of this post is not aimed directly at you.)

OK, I see SOME merit in opting for this 'formula' for those guys that work the turn and burn restaurants. They (their jobs) are more about bouncing in and bouncing out (aka, table-hopping). This is a FAR cry from strolling magic, especially for private parties.

OK, sometimes you get to the gig and everyone is milling about. Sometimes you get there and they are all sitting at tables. Sometimes you get there and half of them are watching the big game on TV. Sometimes you get there expecting 200 people when in fact only 30 showed up. Sometimes you get there and the host (or DJ) immediately announces you as the magician and everyone gathers around you all at once. Sometimes you get there expecting a roomful of adults only to find that 1/4 of them brought their kids who immediately surround you once they realize who you are. That's just the start of it.

3 sets of 3 for most gigs is like walking into a kitchen to have a can of soup only to find out that your only tools are a ladle, an egg beater, and a pastry bag. All perfectly useful tools in their own context, but that hardly makes one prepared for the situation at hand. And anyone who has done this for any length of time knows, situations change... A LOT!!

An experienced strolling magician knows (and Danny and I have both been doing this for DECADES) that this type of work can be the most non-rigid work you can imagine. You have to constantly think on your feet, make adjustments as you go, and do so by preparing for the contingencies that can and will come about.

Start here: Design a handful of pieces that can be done 'up in front' with everyone watching. Maybe you've been hired to walk around for 2 hours. Do 15-20 in front of the group and then announce that you will now let them get back to the party and you will come out there, find them where they are, and show them 'the good stuff'. You have satisfied the situation as found and converted it to fit your initial goal.

OK, I'll give some slack to anyone who is somewhat new to the game. Experience is often the only way to learn such things. I have made many mistakes in the growing process. That's a part of learning. In fact, it is a much better teacher than reading and following any 'how to' formulas. This is a business where you simply HAVE to think for yourself, if you want to survive.

You want things arranged in threes? How about this...

#1 Screw up
#2 Figure out why
#3 Don't let it happen again.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes I agree completely. I also think this type of "formula " thinking leads to guys burning out, getting bored, and so many magicians just looking the same.

Toy said it far nicer than I could ever have even come close to.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I feel your pain.

I don't have as much experience as these gentlemen, but before I even started professional work I thought that 3 sets of 3 thing sounded too limiting. And too cumbersome, mentally; I have enough to remember! I'm the type of person that likes to riff off of a situation and see how things go. I don't want the structure of strict sets hanging over my head. I have a few things, about a dozen possible tricks with me, and jazz it as I go.

That said, I do like to have set "possibilities" in mind that may help tell a story or create a flow or rhythm. A gambling set, for example. Or a quick, eye catching opener as a set "standard." Another "rule" I try to live by for strolling and/or restaurant work is: Make every trick a "closer."

But, yeah, have some that can play for several at once that don't take up a lot of pocket space. CnR rope, ID, even a TT and silk. Sponge balls or bunnies can play for a lot of people, especially if you get several involved in the action. Mentalism. Things you can hold at chest level... I've done Crazy Cube for a room of 15 people and it kills, you just have to know how to present it.

I like Michael's list of "3." Now you can be better next time, and you will because you obviously care and will make changes.

Funny- I had a gig last year that I shudder to think about. I thought I sucked. A strolling event turned into a parlor show. I even thought I was prepared; I got my parlor show out of the car and off I went. The show went okay, but I just felt I stunk; that lame feeling that I could have been so much better.

The lady called last week to book again this year. Maybe you weren't as bad as you thought, but now you can be even better?

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I think 3 sets of 3 is gold.
I have 3 sets of 3.
Although, sometimes I do 4 sets of 2 which gives me an extra 1 in case I need an encore.
Sometimes I do 1 set of 1, 1 set of 3 and 1 set of 5. The set of 5 is for people I really like.
But I never do 2 sets of 4 and leave 1 out - that just feels unlucky.

But the key thing is...you only need 9. 9, that's it. And you never have to buy another 1 ever again.

Hope this make sense.

PS: in choosing your 9, try to avoid any 1 that uses consumables. It will save you money in the long run.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
^^I guess I forgot to take common core math into account.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you so much for all your thoughts everybody. I have a lot to learn and your insights are extremely valuable to me.

One of the major points I take from your posts is
- Be ready for everything
- Have a "stand up" set prepared. Have some effects that will do for a larger group.

Feel free to chime in with more opinions or thoughts, they are all very appreciated.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Remember there are two shows. The one you see and the one the audience sees. I am going to bet you did a much better job than YOU think. We are always harder on ourselves. Having said that, I would also suggest that your close up material will play for larger groups (in this case 19 is not too large). I am not sure you actually need a separate stand up set. I have done sponge bunnies for example for 100 people. It is just making them play "bigger" So instead of having 3 sets of three, make it one set of 9...Sounds like it was the situation/logistic that threw you. One other thought, I always bring a small instand table with me. I use it strolling and for stand up if needed. But the material is the same, strolling or stand up. Hope this helps.

David
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, David French wrote:
Remember there are two shows. The one you see and the one the audience sees. I am going to bet you did a much better job than YOU think. We are always harder on ourselves. Having said that, I would also suggest that your close up material will play for larger groups (in this case 19 is not too large). I am not sure you actually need a separate stand up set. I have done sponge bunnies for example for 100 people. It is just making them play "bigger" So instead of having 3 sets of three, make it one set of 9...Sounds like it was the situation/logistic that threw you. One other thought, I always bring a small instand table with me. I use it strolling and for stand up if needed. But the material is the same, strolling or stand up. Hope this helps.

David

I totally agree. recently I did a stage show for the first time. And I did 3 tricks. The first two effect well killer. But the last trick was card to the ceiling. But the card didn't get stuck to the ceiling lol. Everyone thought it was a joke. And that I was playing 52 pick up (Because I had mentioned it before) lol. Only my girlfriend knew that I had totally failed that night hahaha
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, David French wrote:
I am not sure you actually need a separate stand up set. I have done sponge bunnies for example for 100 people. It is just making them play "bigger"

David

Yes. I took inventory of my own tricks at one point and mentally separated those that absolutely could only be done under close range from those that would play if I simply adjusted my manner of presenting them. Sometimes it goes beyond something just being visible. While a far away spectator may not be able to verify a helper's signature on a card, the helper's reaction will easily play to the back row. I once saw Paul Daniels perform live in a theater. He did the Chop Cup for almost 2000 people!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Absolutely right, Michael!

EMIL JARROW entertained a vaudeville theater filled with people with the "change" of one coin for another (like a nickel to a quarter). The reaction of the spectator holding the coin, was "evidence" to the rest of the spectators. I do a simple basic sponge ball routine with 2 balls. The girl onstage REACTS, and the audience RESPONDS!

I agree with just about everything that has been said. I especially like Danny's and Michael's comments.

I learned, as a 14 year old, to learn and perform tricks that could play to almost anyone, almost anywhere. My largest props are 3, 8" linking rings, and a coin pail 7" tall by 5" diameter.

My prop case is 13" x 20" x 8". It weighs a trifle over 20 lbs. The show can start in less than five minutes after I arrive on stage, platform, or parlor. When I finish, I can leave in two minutes. I have performed for audiences of two thousand in high schools, and, four thousand in county fairs (grand stands).

My criteria are simple:

VISUAL EFFECT, VISIBLE PROP, VERSATILE EFFECT, ANGLE PROOF PROP, RECOGNIZABLE PROP, LITTLE OR NO SET UP, NO TABLE NEEDED, SPOT ADAPTABLE, PACKS SMALL & LIGHT, WINDPROOF.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
The customer sometimes does not know our needs well enough to understand our terms...close up/strolling, stand up and so on. first thing to do is try to be really clear on what you need for each type of performance that you do.

plan B
I always keep a parlor/ stand up set in my car just in case things do not work out like everyone hoped.
the old adage of packs small plays big comes in handy here.
here is an example of packs small plays big
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ0cnTjgcAE

once you have a bit more experience you will be able to pull a impromptu show out of your hat and still make it rock.

back up items you can have -
rings
ropes
cups and balls
temple screen with production load
jumbo card effects
any kind of manipulation routines that are visual.

consider your self as a magic prepper. be prepared for any situation.

the stand up in front of a few people is considered more parlor then stage. stage would be a larger crowed with sound and lights with larger effects. think Copperfield.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Ok guys! THIS is "Magicians Helping Magicians". Thank you SO much everyone for chiming in! This thread should be a sticky for performers with not-so-much airtime.

Thank you so much!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Dick Oslund - Always great advice! Besides, who can argue with a track record like yours??

Michael MacDonald - "consider your self as a magic prepper. be prepared for any situation. "
>>EXACTLY!!<<

3x3 can be what you CAN do, if all the conditions are right. But, going in ready for whatever you might find is the sign of a pro. Rely on your intuition, not your formulas.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Montana76, I bet your next gig will be GREAT!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I sucked! (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL