The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi there (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oz62
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Oz62
I've been following the website for quite a long time, and am very happy to join this amazing group! Just wanted to say hi to everybody who's been super helpful - Oz.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Oz62,

How long have you been in Magic?

-Mary Mowder
Oz62
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Oz62
Hi Mary,

I'm pretty new. I did my very first trick about seven years a go, and have been showing my friends and family close up magic since then. I by no means consider my self a professional. In fact, I did my first what I call "a big routine" a couple of days a go at a christmas party in front of 17 people. That was a big thing for me as I usually show a trick or two for a few people lol. It went pretty good, but I have to admit that I was a little too anxious. I didn't mess up anything and was able to amaze people, but my hands were a little shaky even though they might have not noticed that. I guess the best way to get better is to keep performing more often, but I'd like to hear any advice from you and other nice people here. Good news is that my hands don't get sweaty when I'm anxious. Happy Holidays by the way!
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
Welcome and good to hear all that. I'm performing my first "a big routine" in february at local magic circle. Good to hear yours went good at you're lucky not getting sweaty hands when nervous. I'll probably dip my hands on fanning powder or something before my performance. Looking forward to see you around.
Oz62
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Oz62
Hi ATL,

Sounds exciting, I'm sure it'll be fun. Can you give some insight about your routine? I assume it is close up work.. Are you going to perform sitting at a table, or is it going to be a stand up show? Good Luck!
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
Will start the routine by giving a deck for someone to shuffle and have short patter while they do it. Then receive the deck, go to table and perform ace production + 2 other cards to music. That's the plan. So starting standing up, but actual performance done at a table. Since it's local magic circle meeting, audience will be 15-30 magicians.

Mostly it's to achieve three goals. 1. Hopefully give beautiful presentation. 2. Get feedback and use it kind of as final exam for sleights. 3. Get experience for performing in front of people.

Especially number two. There are few guys who I look forward to hear their opinion on it and how clean they thought it looked. I'll be using paintbrush, wave change, erdnase change and shapeshifter for color changes and for production one is still a bit up in the air, but ender will be the one where you do half riffle without closing it and pull the packets apart causing one card to slide from middle of those packets. Obviously using number of false shuffles/cuts and in one part flicker as well.

Nothing too fancy or complicated, but I wanted to stay mostly with stuff that I'm quite comfortable with. So that's what I'm gonna do every morning and evening for 2-5 times for next 2 months. Thanks for the luck, it will be needed so I don't fail the whole thing by being too nervous when time comes.

How about you? Since you did the Christmas party thing, has there been any new gigs you're looking to do?
Oz62
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Oz62
You got a good plan, I'm pretty sure it'll go well. There were no magicians involved at the party so I only got feedback from my girlfriend.

I'm going to get to see the same people for Easter and they told me to show something that day for sure. I always wanted to get into the 'sucker silk to egg', and I think Easter is the perfect time for that. It'd be great to show some other things, and end with 'teaching' them a trick:) There are great magicians with slightly different methods for the effect, so I need to study them.

And before Easter there is a birthday party, which might be another option to show something. The 'Happy Birthday Card' trick comes to my mind. Although I'm having hard time here in NY to get the cards with candles on them. I guess you have to order about 100 of them from overseas or something.
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
I'm not that familiar with either of those effects, but I wish you the best of luck. I really like your idea of teaching them a simple trick at the end or could be even at start. Doesn't have to be anything advanced, but what it does is that it tends to remove that "I'm gonna fool you, you're gonna try to catch me." thinking from them at least to some extent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi there (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL