The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stegosaurus by Phil Smith (Instant Download) (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I watched the trailer and saw the performance to be a bit complicated and the effect dragged.

However, there was a small tingling in me that kept telling me to take the plunge.

I did and I was flabbergasted by the sheer genius of this effect.

The thinking behind it is just right up my alley.

Will I use it? Yes!!!
Will I use it as seen in the video? No!!!

I believe this a method more than an effect. And Phill is comprehensive when it comes to teaching.

Great job Phill!!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I'm trying to prep full word sets for various different languages to make it super simple for people to make their own word lists - Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch? Seem reasonable? I've got readymade useable word lists for Spanish, German and French already, but I think that longer term it will be better to have the full resource available?

(to clarify, it's already totally possible to make word lists in these languages, having full word sets will reduce the time it takes to make word lists down to just a couple of minutes)

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
I admit when I first saw the concept I was a little snoot about it but then I witness Nick Locapo perform it for laymen at a busy bar and they loved it. It is of those effects like "lie detector" plot that laymen just enjoy and grasp.

Ryan
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I really like this effect also.
Haven't performed it yet.
Todd
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I agree with and felt the same way as Ryan but changed my opinion after seeing the reactions it gets. Laypeople love it, and it has a great close to self working method.
P3
practice practice perform.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Not only did that woman in the crowd figure out the correct word twice, she did it much faster than the performer. Is that really the message you want to send? Kudos to the marketers for leaving that in, though - nice to see some honesty in marketing.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
It's pretty weird that that happened! I've actually only had someone solve it once, in the first phase, and that person was a crossword fiend. It actually worked really nicely and got them on my side, and fully convinced the group that it was for real - after all if it was just a trick how could she have known it? XD The idea of the first two phases is more like a Rubiks cube solve than a moment of impossibility, and those phases exist to set up the final phase - so if someone there is able to perceive the word, it's not a problem IMO but your mileage may vary depending on whether you make a big deal about how impossible the first phase is.

I don't want to seem like I'm defending the effect because I'm worried about its flaws, I'm not - I wouldn't have released it if I wasn't happy with it, and I really really am, just keen to answer questions. Also I've been sitting on it for so long it's nice to be able to actually talk about it!

Phill
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Hi Phil,

How many words the specs can choose from the list? I'm wondering whether it is possible to present the words in the form of sentence rather than a word list.

SH
May you live in interesting times.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
It would be a bit of work to set up but not impossible once you understand the system, especially using the resource in the ebook for building new word lists. The word list is about 30 words: it would work with less but obviously if the selection set is too small it loses a bit of punch.

Phill
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Great effect and made that much better by having phases that seemingly increase the challenge faced by the performer and which makes it more impressive each time.

You will enjoy this if you are a fan of Leo Boudreau's effects.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Following a few questions about using Stegosaurus with different languages, the resource page linked in the ebook now has links to Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish masterlists.
I will be putting up example word-lists in as many of these languages as I can but you'll have to bear with me because I only speak two languages: English and Bad English.

Phill
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
After a conversation on the Penguin forum, I have added a Greek masterlist to the resources page.

Phill
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
I'm not sure why they chose an endorsement by me since I might be a little biased. If you want to hear someone who *isn't* me comment on it, Ian Rowland said: "...this effect is baffling, intriguing and impressive. ...It is brilliant in every way, and you can carry it with you always. All you need to do is tuck a small (thin) packet of cards in your wallet, bag, purse, pocket or laptop case, and you're always good to go. You can perform it anywhere, it will always entertain people and it will always leave them comprehensively baffled."

I have performed this A LOT over the last year for lots of magicians and real people and yes, it is more processy than just 'write down a word and put it in this wallet'. For whatever reason it also engages audiences well, has a big impact on laypeople (and a number of magicians I've sunk with it) and that's good enough for me.

Phill

Phill absolutely smoked me with this at a lunch meeting recently. What a delightful piece of very strong pocket Mentalism!

John
gibby357
View Profile
Veteran user
The Woodlands, TX
344 Posts

Profile of gibby357
At first glance, watching the demo video, it comes off as what is being presented, a Word Game. Not a strong piece of Mentalism in that respect. Even if the Lady had not guessed, it would have come off at best as someone who can do word puzzles pretty good. Impressive but not very much. However, that last phase was what I was waiting for. I think it was what we all were waiting for! I will be purchasing this effect. Great Job, Mr. Smith!

Leo
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Thanks Leo. To clarify, you can just do the final phase, it works fine like that, I just built the three phases to build up to it, and I think that it sets up the audience to think a certain way, even if they think it is a trick somehow, and then totally wrongfoots them. I hope you enjoy it.

Phill
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I'm happy for this to be dismissed by those who don't know better. I'm not a fan of "Powerball" effects myself.
But this is a cogent, CUSTOMIZABLE and fooling bit of mind-reading. There are other effects possible with it to be sure, but it's mentalism at its heart.

I think what might put off some is that it might require a little bit of work. All the better.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Hey guys, I was performing this and the spectator spelled the word hinge, however the word build was in the sequence as well and I ended up getting it wrong. I am sure I have done everything correctly with the setup, anyone else had this problem?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think the effectiveness of this routine depends upon the audience. I think that for some audiences, this will come across as a cool puzzle more than magic or mind reading. Just my opinion.

KJ
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2015, Ollie wrote:
Hey guys, I was performing this and the spectator spelled the word hinge, however the word build was in the sequence as well and I ended up getting it wrong. I am sure I have done everything correctly with the setup, anyone else had this problem?

No. "hinge" isn't one of the target words. If you want it to be, then you need to take out "build."
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi Ollie, if you watch the video on the penguin site it has a graphic when I am explaining the words that shows the correct word is henge, I had it wrong on the cards for some reason. This is also obviated by an adjusted word list in the book and covered in the forum on the Penguin site. I'm sorry if you missed all the different ways I covered this, I tried to resolve it. Where did you learn the effect?

KJ: is that your experience with Stegosaurus in front of a real audience?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stegosaurus by Phil Smith (Instant Download) (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL