The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Halloween Season (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
We just wrapped up our Halloween Show season.

Is there a "Hallowen Season" for those who are other than children performers? Do any of you view this time of season as a unique" business opportunity"? Are there better ways to look at this time of year? I was always fascinated with Houdini dying on Halloween as a kid. Does this play into promotion any way? I do not use it at all in mine, as I am playing to very young children.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There are several time sof years for kids and family performers that offer some great business opportunities. February for Blue & Gold banquets, summer for library season, of course the holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Years Eve is strong for many types of performers, but Halloween is a great, the favorite of many, for magician's. Between schools, churches, amusement parks, theaters, temporary corner businesses for pumpkins, rides, etc., to even costume shops, all offer great opportunities for kids and family magic. It is one of the money-making periods of the year for magic performers.

Now days even communities are having events, plus new opportunities are opening up and even being created for this unique time of the year. Good to see charliechekers and his brother seeing the opportunities and taking advantage of this fun family time of the year. Btw, it is also a good time of the year to generate and utilize press & publicity through the media too.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 30, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Btw, it is also a good time of the year to generate and utilize press & publicity through the media too.

Wow! Hard to believe, but I never thought of this aspect of the Halloween Season. Seeing your post made me instantly think of a number of opportunities I can take advantage of next year.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21262 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never been a fan of letting a season dictate my bookings.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Danny - even though you do not let the season dictate your bookings, do you find the Halloween Season has an impact on those seeking your services? I would think that a hypnosis show might be in a bit higher demand at this time of year. Just curious.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21262 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nope.

Again it is where you look for it. Most people have a very slow January. But almost all hospitality industry people actually have their holiday parties then so it can be an amazing month if you just look for it.

Again I never let seasons dictate business. I freely admit it is why I got away from one jight bookings, but even at that there is no reason to let seasons dictate to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2015, charliecheckers wrote:
Wow! Hard to believe, but I never thought of this aspect of the Halloween Season. Seeing your post made me instantly think of a number of opportunities I can take advantage of next year.

Trust me, you are not alone. As I mention in the book not only do most entertainers not know how to use press and media, they do not think of it as a viable (free) marketing and promotional tool, and then of course the next part is how and when to apply it and utilize it.

Most performers do one time bookings. Most don't even realize there are other options and opportunities. Like Danny, I have had longtime ongoing accounts, one for 24 years and a couple for 17/18 years. But I also have an area of my business that does single bookings as well. Markets and seasons do come into play, and quite importantly I must say with this business model. There is a wedding season, a fair season, a festival season, a corporate season, a trade show season, fundraising season and markets that will keep them booked solidly or as much as desired. Markets should be selected by a variety of business reasons, not just personal preference.

Many do not think of the Halloween season as a viable season or market. Along with schools, parties, corner pumpkin patch type business, there are also fall festivals, genre festivals, and other markets that can make this a strong time of the year for bookings as well as press coverage. Especially for public performances.

From a press and media point of view, certain times are more media-conducive and easier to generate great coverage and interest from the media. When understood this can be a huge part of ones marketing operations and business plan.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Hey Charlie,

I hope things are going well for you at Med School.

Years ago I use to really concentrate on performing Halloween shows during the month of October. These days I now look upon the month of October as a great time for performing at all types of autumn events. Pure Halloween shows are just part of that mix, at least for me anyway.

I think, too, that if you perform magic for a living and are available during the day, your chances of booking more Halloween type shows may increase. I say this because I think one could work a fair number of Halloween shows at day care centers, elementary schools and corn/hay mazes. Years back when I polled some folks here on the little darling section, that’s where most of their Halloween bookings seemed to take place. Libraries were also in that mix as well.

Of course, some of this may also vary greatly depending upon your geographic location.

Depending upon where you live, Halloween (and everything that goes with it) may or may not be a big celebration. If you live in Salem, Mass., odds are you will be working more Halloween type shows than someone living in the Bible Belt region. Things are always evolving, too. Years back, many Catholic schools would host Halloween parties. Today, I don’t think that’s the case.

Still other things are always coming along the way. I think there are more haunted houses and corn/hay mazes than ever. In his wonderful magic marketing course, Jim Snack talked about booking Halloween shows at Haunted Houses as a way of helping with crowd control.

I think every season has its challenges and rewards when it comes to booking shows. Years ago I used to complain when summer seemed to be my slowest season. My excuse always used to be that ‘everyone is on vacation.’ Today, I work a fair number of festivals and other events during the summer.

Sometimes I think the best approach is to look at everything as a challenge. You have to challenge yourself to fill up all the empty spots on your marketing calendar regardless of the month.

Best of luck to you.

Gerry
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Gerry - great to see your post! Hope all is well with you! I agree that not just Halloween specific markets fall into this season. I perform a different show for Halloween Season and nearly all of the Fall Festival shows request that themed show. I too find libraries are an opportunity, and they are evening shows which is great for me. Lots of good thoughts. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Halloween Season (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL