The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Dean's Box (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I'm just curious as to whether any of you own and perform Dean's Box and, if so, the reactions you get from it?

Luckily, a few years back I bought one from Dean as well as extra sets of curtains and ropes and rings..

THANK YOU to the late great Stewart James for being "The Father" of this effect and to the late Dean Dill for releasing this GREAT prop and routine to the Magic Community!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Reports on the Café several years ago, was that a good number of people perform this effect. Many say the audience really responded to it. Some do it on a table, some seem to like sitting on a chair and holding it in their lap, while doing it. I do not think anyone has offered a video performing it. There also have been many inquires for additional ideal to extend the routine. Some suggested the Invisible deck.

There has never been a forum discussion on the presentation and possibilities of this expensive prop, to my knowledge.

I guess, they are being used, as there was an influx of people looking for additional curtains to repair their worn and tattered out drapes.

That is the thing with assisting people, they get their answer and few return to report if the solution was useful. Most that did return, usually do what they originally wanted to do, and so did not take the advice.

I guess you are with those that believe this trick is related to Stewart James's "SEFALALJIA" as published in the December 2, 1939, number 69, The Jinx magazine.

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned, I don't see how this could entertaining and believable in a show as it. It might play with good music, great patter and presentation on the performer's part. The only video is of Dean Dill casually doing some of the ideas provided with it, and one Chinese magician who did it on China television.

It is to large for close-up, but maybe it is great for an in home house party. Not many house parties that I know of with the rich and famous, but I am sure they are still going on some places.

With all the new smoke devices on the market, maybe a little added smoke would liven it up a little.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Rainboguy and Hegbli,

Look also for The Legacybox of David Regal / Owen's and even Norm Nielsen

Sincerely,
John
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have been using Dean's box for long time and it does get a very good reaction. Check out Marc DeSouzas routine on one of his DVDs from the 4 DVD set. He has a great routine for it.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I like using my Dean's Box in a Close-Up environment using two audience assistants, seated left and right of the box as per the DVD that came with the prop. The close-up audience "feeds" on the reactions of the two audience assistants, and that helps the prop "play bigger".

I've added a 4th phase to the routine using Joe Porper's AmazeRing prop, and the 4 phases seem "just about right" timewise.

This always plays well..getting a STRONG audience reaction. For those who own this prop, you might consider looking at purchasing a Dean's Box bag from the Ambitious Card...it's exceptionally well made and protects the prop in transport and in storage. Like most good Magic.....the smarter they are....the more badly they are fooled with this prop!

Highly recommended! Although I am not sure if they are still available.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
As to being made anymore, unfortunately, there are poorley made Chinese knock offs available. However, Hocus Pocus is making them again with permission from Dean's estate - I think at around the same price as when Dean sold it.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Kudos to Hocus Pocus for continuing to support the Dill legacy. He brought so much to the community and will be sorely missed.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Great effect and gets amazing reactions. Several pros have developed their own routines to include Marc DeSouza, Scott Alexander and Eric DeCamps.
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
Paul Daniels used it as a final effect on stage.
That's all you need to know about how effective it is.
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
We recently used it on a magic series in the middle east. It's interesting to me in that the more intelligent the spectators are, the more amazed they are. It requires some knowledge of topology to appreciate. Kids could care less but engineers and scientists go crazy for it!
Ray Pierce
Jafo
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
22 Posts

Profile of Jafo
I've recently been performing it in my parlor show. My script includes a backstory that explains the existence of the box and why it does what it does. As a result, my audience stands outside of the venue after the show and discusses with each other how in the heck that was possible. It's one of the strongest things in my show.

So yeah, give it due diligence and you'll have a showpiece. So if it's not playing to your liking, think about reworking the presentation. The challenge is worth it!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Interesting......I did not know that Scott Alexander has his own routine. I'll be hanging out at Abbott's Get-Together and Scott is on the bill there.......I will talk with him about the routine, and heck, maybe I will bring my Dean's Box to have him show it to me since I plan on buying his Shattered trick and having him walk through his handling of it with me...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Scott Alexander teaches his additional/new phases (ring onto rope effects and a gag) to Dean's Box in his Midnight Show dvd.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Can anyone tell me how I can recognise a genuine Dean's Box, so not one of the widely spread knock offs? I can buy one (not very cheap but doable) but am doubting it's the real deal here ... .

Here's a picture: https://static.wixstatic.com/media/0a733......~mv2.jpg

Thanks for the input Smile

David
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Looks real to me. The knock offs I have seen are not made of walnut. The joints in the corners are as they should be. The fabric on the sides looks right. Cant see the hinges but they should be a small strap type hinge not square like on the fakes. What makes you think its a knock off? If its fake somebody went to a lot of trouble here.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Thank you very much Gimpy2.
What made me doubt is the pictures I saw on the internet of other genuine Dean's Boxes all have some 'gloss' on the box and this one doesn't (or so it seems, but that could be just the photo of course).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
People don't take care of their props properly, so it is most likely very dirty and needs a polishing. Fine wood needs to be cared for, and cleaned with the proper cloths and products.

Make sure you get the instructions, or you will have a hard time figuring out the working.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Will do so Bill, thanks!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bill Hegbli is right when it comes to people not taking proper care of their props, and I can tell you with certainty that this particular prop we're discussing: DEAN"S BOX, is a prop that will absolutely be totally unforgiving to those who don't properly care for it.

Here's the link for the bag that Frank has made for DEAN'S BOX and sells at THE AMBITIOUS CARD........

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=6

This bag is, in my opininion, perfect to store, transport, and protect this very nice prop. I highly recommend it to those who own DEAN'S BOX.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Thanks for the info Rainboguy.
I just got a reply from the seller and he too sais it is the original one, comes with DVD and all the props. He is offering it at 200 USD which I think is a fair price, but I will probably need to 'clean' it a bit, or polish it.
Does anyone know a good quality product I could use for that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Dean's Box (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL