The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Dean's Box (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1049 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Well, the person 'linked' for replacement curtains did not respond to my email, so I went ahead and used the spandex fabric I had purchased on Amazon. Since I had somewhat compromised the wooden slats that hold the curtains in place, when removing them, I substituted over sized tongue depressors which I cut to size and painted black. Rather than using the original 'pins' to secure the slats to the box, I used small pan head wooden screws, which will make any future curtain replacement much easier. Hope this helps anyone who may decide to tackle this job.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2516 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:

The ropes arrived today, and they are perfect. Thanks again for the link.

I’m so glad!! It’s far to wonderful a trick to let go.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks, Ray! I've also ordered some additional fabric (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725X8PDX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I may substitute for the plain black fabric that I have on there now. Disappointed, though, that I could not find anything similar to the original fabric (red with raised silver dots) in my box.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
I had the opportunity to speak with Dean Dill's widow, who was kind enough to put me in touch with Norm Nielsen's widow, Lupe. She confirmed that Nielsen Magic (which owns the rights to Dean's Box) will be producing more of the boxes, along with selling replacement curtains, later this year. I discussed with her my issues with the construction of the original box, along with my desire to purchase replacement curtains. She is a skilled woodworker, and filled me in on the very impressive improvements she'll be implementing in the box. She also advised that she has engaged an expert in fabrics, to make sure that the curtains do not stretch out as easily as they did on the original box. I'll probably purchase one of the boxes she produces in order to support her efforts to preserve this classic in magic.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5487 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That's outstanding news rosariorose9. Thank you for the update.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
aechecop
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of aechecop
I would be very interested in the new non-stretching fabric replacement curtains, thanks for sharing!.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2021, aechecop wrote:
I would be very interested in the new non-stretching fabric replacement curtains, thanks for sharing!.

This gentleman can provide you with the original curtains (black spandex fabric with silver dots): Mike <mbarry@socal.rr.com>. I bought two pair from him. Shipped them quickly, and included new 'pins'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Dean's Box (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL