The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best places for reviews (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
For the SEO brains out there I need your thoughts.

It is commonly held that getting a review on Google + is the best place since Google indexes themselves very well.

However, not all of my clients use G+ and I don't want them to have to create a G+ account to leave me a review.

I know that Facebook has reviews now but Google doesn't index those.

Yelp is popular in certain regions but they won't share a review of you unless the reviewer is active on Yelp. If the only time Yelp has heard of the reviewer, they will not display the review but will list it in in obscure page called "Reviews not currently recommended".

So what are the best practices for getting reviews online?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19848 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What sort of show do you do?

I still think actual media coverage carries a lot more credibility than any other reviews.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Hi Danny.

I do kids shows, restaurant walk-around, and after dinner stand-up comedy magic. I use a separate site for the kids shows.

I 100% agree that media reviews are the best.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Media coverages carries some great credibility, but it is simply used as credibility for the sake of the "show" part of show business (typically).

I would argue that you need a review on every major plaform; Yelp, Google, Gigmasters, Gigsalad, etc.

I have reviews on each of those platforms, some shows were large corporate, and other was a free show for my friend's charity. And yet, when people google my name now they see 5 star reviews on multiple platforms. Just the other day I had a prospect tell me that they kept seeing my name, so they googled it, and were happy to see 5 stars in the google feed.

You should aim to get at least one review on as many platforms as you can. People who are booking you for a show will want to see that many people trust you with their event.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10569 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yelp reviews are #1 and by far the best source of reviews and high ranking. It's also off the radar for most performers.

Is it perfect? No.

But choosing to ignore it just because some reviews get hidden would be a huge mistake. Some hidden reviews become un-hidden over time. So what? Just keep piling up the reviews and watch your visibility and ranking in search pop through the roof. It's a numbers game.

Performer Frederic Da Silva in Vegas is a great example of a performer zigging while others zag. He's killing it with floods of Yelp and travel advisor reviews.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Yelp reviews are #1 and by far the best source of reviews and high ranking. It's also off the radar for most performers.

Is it perfect? No.

But choosing to ignore it just because some reviews get hidden would be a huge mistake. Some hidden reviews become un-hidden over time. So what? Just keep piling up the reviews and watch your visibility and ranking in search pop through the roof. It's a numbers game.

Performer Frederic Da Silva in Vegas is a great example of a performer zigging while others zag. He's killing it with floods of Yelp and travel advisor reviews.

Aren't reviews of a running show in a theatre somewhat different that reviews of a performer for hire? I could understand the public seeking out reviews of a running show on Yelp or Trip Advisor if they are heading into a destination (Las Vegas, Orlando, Branson, etc.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I too am not convinced that these types of reviews are helpful or carry any merit if the performer serves private markets or specific markets not geared to the public. For example, schools. These reviews would have little impact to the education market, whereas there are other places (industry) that you would be much better served.

Also I would rather have reviews from people in a booking or hiring position for the markets I serve, rather than just from an attendee or audience member.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19848 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I tend to thing destination performance reviews are different animal than one night shows.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
For SEO purposes, reviews account for about 10% of Google's overall ranking factors. In that 10%, these carry the most weight...
Google+ Local
Yelp
Foursquare
CitySearch
YP.com
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10569 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yelp keeps my phone ringing. So I like it - and it's free. Bookers may snoop at Yelp reviews as they pop up high in search.

I agree it's a different market than the DMC's and bookers but it actually generates as much or more leads as the paid sites - for me.

Frederic da Silva's secret sauce (having seen him at mindvention) was asking the entire audience multiple times for 5 star reviews on Yelp and trip advisor. Tacky? Sure. But very effective as you will see if you look him up on the site.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19848 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
TripAdvisor now has rules. Hotels are not allowed to mention reviews or they are removed from the site.

To me, and this is just me but having to basically beg during a show for a review is far more than tacky. It is fake and will bounce back and hurt you eventually. Especially if in your show you mention it so much people say to themselves "oh THAT is why he has so many reviews!" It will absolutely kill your word of mouth. It happens to hotels all the time.

Blowing yourself up with artificial reviews may help short term but as a business model I don't think it is smart.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10569 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Totally agree Danny.

I saw Fredric's show with a group of performers and the multiple mentions during and at the end of the show were too much. But unquestionably effective apparently - at least for now.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
How much of it is truly effective for him and how much is for personal gratification and ego? Does it translate to bookings in his target market?
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Obviously, there are right ways and wrong ways to improve your rankings in organic search. The right ways really have nothing to do with what many consider common sense. Conjecture will get you nowhere. Give Google what it wants and you will be rewarded. Hope that is vague enough for everyone!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19848 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
By vage I hope you do not mean to imply incorrect. You are dead on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

By vague, Danny, I mean imprecise.

Some of the most accurate info on this thread is from the OP.

An important question you should ask yourself is: Do you want to put your time, effort and $$$'s toward another company's site or would you rather invest in your own internet real estate?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19848 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the whole hope someone searches for a magician and stumbles upon me thing is a complete mystery to me.
I have just never been a fan of that sort of business model.

I knew what you meant, I was complimenting your insight.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Thanks Danny, I was just kind of erring on the side of caution.

I would not rely ONLY on that biz model. For those with the patience/$$$/etc to onboard it, it can be a solid part of the puzzle (so to speak).
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2015, inhumaninferno wrote:
Obviously, there are right ways and wrong ways to improve your rankings in organic search. The right ways really have nothing to do with what many consider common sense. Conjecture will get you nowhere. Give Google what it wants and you will be rewarded. Hope that is vague enough for everyone!

What does google want Inferno?
Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Focusing on reviews for SEO purposes is only half of the story. I recently saw a study (within the past year - can't recall exactly) reporting that people in their 20's and 30's trust online reviews almost as much as recommendations from friends.

So if people are recommending you, then great! If not enough are recommending you, then online reviews are a good substitute. (Not as good, but close)

Hudson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best places for reviews (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL