The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best places for reviews (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19855 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't get booked much by that demographic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
As always Danny, and thanks Hudson. I agree, word of mouth is optimal. But most of the locals where I am are booked via internet. And it appears the on line booking event planners are the go to for people. Heck, use to be event planners would often call me and get a quote. Seems they are dropping like flies these days.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I believe the online reviews are critical. I am surprised some here are stating that online reviews don't matter or they are not convinced they make a difference. I couldn't tell you how many times people have called me and said they read a review and wanted to get a quote.

Reviews are a great way to make you stand out from everyone else. If someone uses the internet when making a buying decision, they have access to online reviews and for many people the reviews are an important part of the decision process. This is the world we live in, I agree with everyone stating online reviews are important.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Does anyone have any tips about how to get set up on tripadvisor?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19855 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do a good show?

And if EVERYONE gets reviews online how exactly does this make you stand out?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think they are referring to Gig Masters and Salad Danny. They continually change their system for pushing performers to the top....before, GM showed number of reviews, now they don't going by how much booking dollars you have. Making a buck, that is all that counts today, no matter if you work a gig for beans and build up your ratings. Smile

Decomposing Talent But Will Work For Free
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:
Does anyone have any tips about how to get set up on tripadvisor?


You mean for a regular public stage show Tim?
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:
Does anyone have any tips about how to get set up on tripadvisor?


You mean for a regular public stage show Tim?


Just how do you get set up on there? Is it intended for regular public stage show? Tripadvisor only works for brick and mortar destinations?
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Thanks for the insights everyone. I've had lots of gigs come because people read my reviews online. They see my name pop up on multiple sites and they then contact me. They do matter.

I do request an honest review from the booker after the show. I send them an email the following day with a link to where they create their review. Some don't bother, they just reply to the email and share their comments that way. Others just express their appreciation after the show verbally and they never provide anything written. I'd estimate that I get a review on one platform or another about 5% of the time.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Besides GigMasters and GigSalad, there are other sites where reviews can be hosted: Wedding Wire, Event Wire, The Knot, as well as local sites. You can also put testimonials on your website. All of these help. Certainly word of mouth is better, first hand experience is best.

I tell everyone I meet I'm a magician and am always happy to demonstrate. It's not often that this leads to a booking, but t has happened. One more gig I wouldn't otherwise have by mentioning magic instead of the weather.

Hudson
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great info gang. Yes Tim, I see Trip Advisor for those set up at a venue. I cant see how it would work for someone that goes to the client but hey, if you can make it work, I am all ears. Michael good insight, yeah sometimes it is difficult to get those reviews, even when they are very well pleased with your work. I tell them it is important to me and helps me...especially if it supplements my family income.

Hudson I use to put my website all over the place locally but then never did see it in searches. Those other places worth a look though! Smile
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2234 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I share the opinion that online reviews are important and I know I’ve been booked because of my reviews. There’s something about someone else talking about your act instead of you talking about your act that resonates with a potential client. In fact, in some of my on line sites instead of listing a description of my act I’ll just post a recent testimonial!

It is true its becoming harder to stand out with online reviews because everyone is catching on. However, not everyone can consistently get 5 star reviews, if you know what I mean.

To answer the OP I’ve been focusing on google and facebook because I try to make it as easy for the customer as possible. For example, if the customer has a gmail email then I provide a google review link. They probably don’t even have to sign in. Similarly, if they have a yahoo email I’ll provide my yahoo review link. Most people have facebook accounts, so that’s pretty easy too.

I just googled ‘reviews for Ken Northridge magician’ and here is the ranking:

#1 My web site
#2 My web site
#3 Gigmasters
#4 Yelp (even though I do not have one review on Yelp!)
#5 Google
#6 Facebook
#7 Facebook
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, Ken Northridge wrote:
I share the opinion that online reviews are important and I know I’ve been booked because of my reviews. There’s something about someone else talking about your act instead of you talking about your act that resonates with a potential client.


That because their still is nothing better than direct word of mouth advertising. These online reviews as Ken points out are the online version of word of mouth recommendations.

That said, they risk they fact of being less effective as more performers start to use them and of course how some have even found ways to create their own online reviews under the guise of a satisfied customer. This can easily become just like testimonials have over the years, less effective and impactive, and often staged or created by the performer.

Social proof can be great, until everyone is socially proving the same things with the same messages. Then it becomes mass received and less effective.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Talent Agencies?
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, Mindpro wrote:

That said, they risk they fact of being less effective as more performers start to use them and of course how some have even found ways to create their own online reviews under the guise of a satisfied customer. This can easily become just like testimonials have over the years, less effective and impactive, and often staged or created by the performer.



Yes, but the performer who does not get reviews will be left behind. The way I feel about reviews is almost the same way I feel when I deposit a check from a performance in the bank. Also during the decision making process I believe potential buyers pay attention to the total number or reviews, as well as are the reviews continually coming in? What are the recent dates of the last reviews and how frequently is this performer reviewed? This data is readily available to potential clients.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
While I understand and can agree with your point to a certain degree, there are many performers who's business model and market have no basis on reviews one way or another. Again, as I said before, it depends on the performer, their markets they are targeting and who and where they are within this.

I don't feel performers without reviews have any less of an edge than those with raving reviews on a daily basis. I've read studies before that have indicated that people only read 1-4 reviews anyhow and that while it can provide support to their decision making, rarely is it solely the basis. I would rather see a performer with a very pin-pointed, effective and targeted website with the right components in the right layout, with absolutely no video or reviews, than the performer that had great reviews with only mediocre or wishy-washy content.

Also I also remember reading that people read reviews looking for certain information. For example in consumer markets one of the things it said they often look for is words like discount, low-priced, best price, free and extras. I would not want that to be the basis or deciding factors in their interest to book me. Also they look for same or similar content in reviews as their own interest. So if you do schools and one of your 15 reviews is from a school, the performer often thinks "I have 15 great reviews", when in reality perhaps only one is speaking to the prospect. Most just go for reviews with little or no regard for the psychological or emotional aspects of them, which is where the emphasis might really want to be.

Volume is not better.

The point or reviews like a website is to be effective and provide the predetermined, desired results. Also if it is the type of review where you have no control over the reviews, you can have 200 great reviews and three negative, poor or dissatisified reviews, studies have shown those three unfavorable ones leave a greater impression than all of the other ones. My point is reviews can be a double edged sword. In your promo, online image and representation, you should want as much control and input as possible. Some of these review vehicles do not allow that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19855 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you have zero bad reviews do you think any person doesn't have their bs detector go off?

People book me because they see me work. The only review is the show they are watching. I do not and have never done the one night show deal so I have no clue of their value to that market.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19855 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also personally if would never blatantly ask for reviews. The entire "it helps me" thing seems more desperate than I am comfortable looking. I prefer to let the show speak for itself. If they review great, if not no biggie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah Danny but I think most are talking about the window low bid shopping like Gig Masters. Well, I should not say low bid but it seems most of the seekers seem to be wanting the best cost no matter the talent.

On the review side, what do you think they want. All firewall 5 star reviews? Or some mixed 4 star? You go on Gig Masters and 9 out of 10 it appears is all 5 stars. So what happens to a performer who gets a 4? Does he get ditched?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19855 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would never use the services so I don't know how it matters. Like I said people see me at a club or a resort or a theatre and they don't have to find reviews.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best places for reviews (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL