The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best places for reviews (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Again while everyone seems to be concerned with these types of reviews, it is what the pack is doing. I always said, there are other specific types of reviews that are valued far more than these types of reviews (that may be real or may be manufactured) that offers instant credibility and carries far more weight and can lend much more to your business and positioning. So while everyone is is following the leader to what likely is or will become less effective, the ones who seek other methods and resources will likely standout and find greater results.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Here's how I look at it - there have been many times when I have been considering making a purchase and when I researched online reviews they helped me in my decision making process. Some have been significant purchases for several hundreds of dollars and others might have been just a few dollars. Sometimes when researching the reviews I learned more info and I decided not to purchase an item. This could have been from a positive review. I often look at reviews when making purchases from Amazon or Audible.

The point is in our present day and time reviews are part of the process people use when making a purchase, whether it is to hire an entertainer or joining a gym or picking a dentist.

In my opinion, one of the fundamentals of marketing is seeing things from the point of view of a potential client. When you consider the deciding factor for a potential client could be the process of researching reviews, I believe they are critical and could be the deciding factor on whether I get contacted and/or hired. Online reviews have a direct impact on the results of my business.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I'm just curious, for anyone who out there who feels reviews are NOT very important, how would positive reviews hurt your business?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20042 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never said any such thing.

But you have a tendency to think your experience is universal. Not nearly everyone uses reviews to inform a purchase. I can name several other situations in which they never come into play. Online reviews have a direct impact on YOUR business. Not everyone is or has ru be set up that way.

Out of curiosity how long Jane you been in business?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20042 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:
I'm just curious, for anyone who out there who feels reviews are NOT very important, how would positive reviews hurt your business?

I am also curious as to how having a professionally shot and edited video can hurt your business?

Everyone can play that silly game so lets just not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I also really appreciated the interview with Bill Gladwell posted here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

From Bill Gladwell Interview by William Rader
"You have a ton of 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor. What role does that play in getting people to attend your shows?

In the Gatlinburg area, it played a 90% role; on Hilton Head Island, it only plays a 60% role. In other words, 90% of my Gatlinburg ticket sales came from TripAdvisor; on Hilton Head Island, 60% of my ticket sales come from TripAdvisor. Depending on how prominent TripAdvisor is in your area, it may play a very large role in getting people to attend your shows."

What impressed me about this is that Bill knows his business so well that he has crunched the numbers and knows specifically the percentage that the reviews impact his business. And they make up a major percentage!

Maybe it's because I come from a background in sales, because to me knowing where your numbers come from and what impacts your numbers is a key factor to success.

For some reason I also have a certain respect for Bill for not posting here on Magic Café. In my opinion his is a professional approach and further shows he has nothing to prove and his results speak for themselves. In my opinion that makes all of us posting here on the Café nothing more than keyboard jockeys, haha, myself included.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20042 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow. Talk about disrespectful. Talk about negative tone. Wow I hope the hurt feelings crowd comes down on you for that.

Do you read your posts prior to hitting submit?

Sales background huh? How long have you been in the business of doing magic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wow. Talk about disrespectful. Talk about negative tone. Wow I hope the hurt feelings crowd comes down on you for that.

Do you read your posts prior to hitting submit?

Sales background huh? How long have you been in the business of doing magic?

Danny, my apologies, please allow me to clarify. It was not my intent to be disrespectful or post in a negative tone. My main point was to share a specific example of how reviews have made an impact on another performer's business. The quote was from a published interview. I will send you a PM in hope that I can make amends.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20042 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't.

Couple of things. First of all ANYONE in a theater can tell yoy EXACTLY where every ticket sold came from. It is the business. In Branson that is how you know where to target marketing dollars. It is a basic idea.

Good for Bill for knowing. Seems like he has success and that is admirable. But every successful theater show I have been involved with can and does do the same. Most ticketing software for the theater does that for you. You would have to try to not have that information.

Again I ask how long you have been in the business of performing magic for pay?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is getting crazy. Shades of BB are coming trhough.

Tim you tend to take things greatly out of context to suit your needs. Bill works a very specific tourist market where reviews matter more than in most other typical markets, especially consumer markets. In that context, yes he knows his business. But he says things in that interview as they pertain to him in his specific market. The very same things would not necessarily work for him if he were to apply them in other markets. You seem to only focus on the parts you want to hear not the entire or greater context.

Bill will be lecturing soon in Las Vegas and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you what he is discussing does not work across the board.

Also using something regarding reviews that should hit close to home for all of us here, how many times has there been a new magic trick, product or marketing book or course here that gets great rave reviews, then you decide to purchase it based on such reviews only to find out it is terrible, not as believed or simply doesn't apply or offer any value to you and your specific interests. It happens every singe day. Online people who have little or no place offering advice or reviews do so, only to find they have no idea what they're taking about or that it may only apply to them and their specific use.

There was also a study a couple of years ago by I think it was USA Today that went back to like 300 people who left online reviews to ask them if after having time to reflect on their review sentiments and experience if they would still say and claim the same thing the stated in their reviews. Only 30-some percent said they would. Reviews offered in the heat of the moment or just off of their experience can often be different from their actual reflections given time to think about it.

If you are basing your purchasing decisions on that of others, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Purchasing decisions should be based on how they apply to you, your needs and interest and due diligence. You seem to be of the generation that thinks the online world (is gospel) with no personal interaction, youtube and the like are the way to operate. As stated elsewhere, it shows.

I listened to the Gladwell interview and thought it was greatly lacking and could have been much better. I have no problem with Bill at all and stating this in no ways discredits him or what he's doing. Also understand it hasn't been all roses for him as you might believe from this very limited interview.

Reviews can be terrible misleading and damaging and often can do more harm than good. Also all reviews are not created equal. I also think you are confusing what you THINK consumer do and use to make their decisions rather that what actually may be the reality.

Again you are passing your limited beliefs, experience and opinions off as sound advice and facts:

- the performer who does not get reviews will be left behind
- during the decision making process I believe potential buyers pay attention to the total number or reviews
- the point is in our present day and time reviews are part of the process people use when making a purchase, whether it is to
hire an entertainer or joining a gym or picking a dentist (this is not all the same as different processes and mentalities apply for
different things. It is not one size fits all as you seem to imply)
- online reviews have a direct impact on the results of my business (good for you but this is not universal across the board for every
performer in every performance market)
- It was not my intent to be disrespectful or post in a negative tone (it has come across exactly this way in each of your posts. Hey I got
scolded for this but I guess its acceptable from you with limited experience, knowledge and opinions. Double standards I guess.)

You "opinions" are quite welcome, it's when you offer them as sound advice in all applications to all performers, in all performance markets that it becomes something more than just an offered opinion. Especially based on such a brief amount of experience as a performer.

I hope you can understand the concern and issue here.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2243 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
For the record, I’m impressed with any working performing who can disregard online reviews, Gigmaster type site and online video’s. There’s no question you’re doing something right. I have a similar respect for the guy who is successful but uses very few props in their show. But for us guys that need to cover all the bases here’s another thought:

I must admit, when I’m trying to reach a decision on purchase I will look for the 1 star and 2 star reviews (the dirt). When someone is that dissatisfied with their purchase that’s a red flag for me. And as I said earlier, its not EVERY performer who can CONSISTENTLY get glowing 5 star reviews.

I like the idea of online reviews. Its like competition, it makes us all better and the consumer is the winner.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I must admit I have dome this as well. It to me is usually more telling than the rave reviews. Telling in that you can more easily decide if it is a skewed or scorn customer with a vendetta (which it often can be), someone who doesn't truly get it themselves, or someone who was genuinely disappointed or who felt it lacked on the expectation meter.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11971 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I am sorry Danny. I didn't mean to offend if I did. You helped me a great deal way back in the AGT days. Anyway, I see firewall 5 star reviews from almost all performers on Gig Masters. Is this not a red flag? I certainly have 5 stars on there as well but if you use the drop down arrow, I have some 4s in there as well. I know when someone ask me to hold on the line for a review, I sometimes say okay. I don't always leave all 5s. Even when they are excellent. I think sometimes that all 5s shows a fix. I may be the odd ball but that is how I sees it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20042 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11971 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
But to performers looking at GigMasters they will see their firewall 5s as being better.....
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I have a 24 seat theatre right down the hall from my magic shop that I present live shows in up to 8 times a week depending on the season, my availability, or the availability of other performers. Almost all of my audience members have found me on Trip Advisor and it has had a tremendous impact on my business. I am adding a link here so you can see the real numbers.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R......ico.html

I have never asked any of my friends or family to "pad" my reviews. Each and every review that you will read is from real people who have attended the show. I have my hostess tell the audience to add us on Facebook or review us on Trip Advisor or Yelp. I will also show you links for those as well for full transparency.

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MaxsMagicTheatre/

Yelp:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/maxs-magic-theatre-albuquerque

Facebook has been great as well and I have reviews there too. Yelp would be the least beneficial at least in my personal experiences. Both Yelp and Trip Advisor were started by random audience members who then alerted me to both of them and then I went in and added more information and pictures once I claimed both pages as mine.

I also have a screen up when they sit down that has not only that information, but also has them download my Menta-List app for free for them to enjoy and when they finish having the effect performed for them my contact information is found at the end along with a link to my website. If you want to check that out you can download the app in the app store on your apple device and the app can be modified for your performances as well by contacting me for details.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask any questions you like either here or via PM if you prefer to keep things private.

Kind regards,
Max
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11971 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice, I didn't even know FB had reviews, thanks Max.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Nice, I didn't even know FB had reviews, thanks Max.

Happy I could help, sir!
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
476 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was skimming it just now and thought perhaps I might add a bit of a different angle that I haven't seen mentioned here.

All arguments about the effectiveness and importance of online reviews aside...

Michael, since your original question is about collecting reviews (ostensibly for the sake of improving SEO if I'm correct), one thing I've found interesting about Google+ (though I'm not a big fan of it really) is that regular G+ posts show up in organic Google search results just like webpages do. Like it has already been shared, "Google likes Google" so it is good practice to give them what they want (i.e. use their services). I've experimented with this over the last several months and it does seem to generate some traffic for me that helps SEO. Nothing groundbreaking, necessarily, but noticeable even though temporarily.

What I mean is that by creating a Google + POST that is targeted to a search result (or term that is commonly used in your market in your area) you can achieve high first page results temporarily by doing so. Even hastagging it properly helps a little. I.e. a post that says "Best Kid's Show Magician in Atlanta" and then a link to your site or specific landing page with a few relevant hashtags (and a catchy picture) made as a simple POST will soon show up high in the results of searches for "kids show magicians atlanta" or whatever. Base the post on a hot, relevant search term and link to it. Think of it as creating a customized Google search result for people who are looking for the services you offer. Just make sure to provide a easy way (1 or 2 clicks) for them to find or contact you.

Unlike Facebook where people who are constantly plugging their services are soon ignored among their "friends" (and rightfully so, sheesh), your popularity on G+ among connections doesn't really seem to matter from what I've seen so you can post like this as frequently or infrequently as you want. Even posts that contain current or previous reviews made by clients works (even if you are adding them in yourself), or you can just start the review and link to your website's "Reviews" or "Testimonials" page for them to see more. Especially if your teaser sentence gets the fast attention of your targeted client such as "Bill Schmill's show was the best birthday party we've ever had for our kids..." or whatever.

Not a golden egg by any means, but I think useful to some degree when applied periodically, strategically, and regularly. Especially since it's free and only take a moment to do, and you can get as creative with it as you want.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best places for reviews (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL