We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » A Thought on Memorizing a Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Perhaps this idea has already been discussed in the past. I can't think of an efficient way to search for it if it has. So, here it is with apologies if this is redundant.

Rather than learn to link cards and positions through some system, so that I need to remember how the card fits the system and then associate the system to the number or vice versa, I have taken a more direct route that should work with any deck.

I went through the numbers 1-52 and made personal or fantastical or outrageous or obscene associations to each number. I've learned Osterlind's BCS this way. So, for example, for me 5 is the number of players on a basketball team. Imagine five queens playing basketball in their robes. 6 is a hockey team; those guys are Aces with their clubs (sticks). 9 is a baseball team; those guys are jacks with clubs (bats). 12 is a dozen; I ate (8) all the CupCakes (C for clubs). When I was 14 I thought I was the king of lovers (hearts). 15 is my wife's birthday; the 2 of us are in love (hearts).

This is some of my own memory scheme. (I didn't share the obscene examples.) But each number has an association that is personally created and sticks solid in memory. I learned the whole deck in just a few days as I built my scheme of associations a few at a time. I think it's much more direct and easily "owned" than a system of phonetic representations or something else not personal.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5065 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Sounds like a mnemonic system. Juan Tamariz has a book called "Mnemonica" which teaches similar memory processes. Several others teach it as well in several other memory technique books (including Harry Lorayne's). It is definitely one of the simplest ways to memorize. Rote memory (repeating the sequence over and over) is also effective (and possibly simpler for some).

There is however, a method to the madness when it comes to memorizing BOTH the "card name" AND "numerical position" that comes into play in several memdeck effects. No matter how you go about memorizing the stack, I would work on the stack number also.

There are also apps that can help you randomize as you learn to gain an edge on as speedy recall. Many are free and some are just a couple bucks and well worth it. There are a couple threads in this section of the Café that go into better detail of all these free and paid resources.

I am currently using Rote Memory and a $3 Aronson Stack app (that plays like a game) to get my Aronson down pat. It is working well for me. A good friend of mine is using mnemonics to learn the Tamariz stack and it is working well for him. I say, go for what works best for you cause once you get it down... You have some powerful magic at your disposal.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Essentially what you've done is to create your own pegs for the card position numbers, which is a fine idea.

Just be sure that you can also easily get from the card name back to the position number as well. Until you can do that, you're not ready to perform.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thanks for those responses. Yeah, I guess it's just a personal peg system for this specific use. And you're right, most of the position-to-card links go quick, but I still get hung up from time-to-time going from some cards (about a half dozen) to their positions. The less personal and more made-up the link, the weaker it is. No surprise. I don't think I could ever hammer out rote memory or hold it in my head for long, but my own system is becoming memorized such that some of the links don't matter nor do I pause to do the BCS calculation except as a safety net.

I started by numbering the back of an old deck, adding a few more cards each day, not in BCS order but as I became interested in the various cards and numbers. When I had the whole deck memorized I switched to the app MemDeck Pro, which has the popular stacks plus the option to add others (your own?) and to randomize and to play against time, etc.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
How can you compare an idea that enables you to memorize a deck "in a few days" when - if you know the systems I've taught for over a few decades, you can memorize a deck in MINUTES?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Point well taken, Harry.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Is Newburyport, MA west of Boston?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Hmmm, actually it's more like NNE, just a whisper off due north.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » A Thought on Memorizing a Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL