The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Air Filter? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I keep a lot of birds in a second bedroom in my apartment, and I have been fighting dust since I moved in a few months ago. I didn't have to worry about it so much before since they had an entire different area of my last place all to themselves. I bought a Honeywell air purifier (which was quite an expensive model), and it does ok, but it isn't really doing enough. The room still ends up with a fair amount of dust on everything, even though I clean the filter out constantly. I'm pretty sure I need to get a second one, but I was hoping someone here could give me a recommendation as to a good model for this purpose? I do all of my office work and rehearsals in this room, so I am in there a lot. After what happened with David Oliver, I have obviously been giving more thought to trying not to breathe this stuff in. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You mean white Dander, not dust, then I take it. Dust is from particles of dirt flying around constantly, really dust mites.

It is a losing battle, the only thing you can do is give the birds a bath at least once a week. Put in tube and close curtain or doors, leaving only small opening. Then turn on shower very lightly. Actually, if it to cold, you might want to make it a little warm, but not hot in any way.

Here you can put a strainer over the drain, so the birds do not fall in, or plug turn off the water and let them give themselves a bath.

Remove birds and let them shake off the water, but I liked to put them towel dry them so they don't get a chill. Then back in the cage they go, it is a good idea to clean the cage at least every week. I use to take my cage out and hose it off, and clean with Lysol spray. Do not get the perches wet, as it will be bad for the birds, so remove them and only scrape the poop off. They actually have a perch wire scrapper at the bird stores.

Dander is a lot thicker then dust, so you may have to clean your purifier more often. I think the ones that use water to trap the dust are better then the filter kind.

It is cycle, the birds get dander and not bathed, so the dander falls in the cage, the birds flap their wings, and all the dander in the cage goes all over the place.

If you are in the room you are breathing in the dander. I had an attach, and did not know about the dander. I was sitting right below the cage every day. Live and learn, had to go to the emergency room, could not breath. You could also try putting a room partition around the cage area to stop it from traveling, but that means you will have to clean the partition every week as well. The birds need to have a window to see out and get some sunlight as well.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill is correct on all counts. I used to have 31 birds in an aviary in my basement. That was about 7 years ago and I'm still cleaning up dander. If you have a window near your cages, you can put a fan that reverses in it. In other words it draws out instead of blowing in.
That will help remove some of the dander. Just make sure the birds are not in the draft.
Where the magic begins
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
You mean white Dander, not dust, then I take it. Dust is from particles of dirt flying around constantly, really dust mites.

Yes, dander is what I am referring to. Since exhaust fans in an apartment are not an option for me, the best I can do is an air filter. As I mentioned, the one I have is working, but it doesn't seem to be quite enough. I'll try finding one of the water based ones and give it a try maybe.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I want to say, I have not purchased this, so do your home work.

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Bill,
Allen was asking for recommendations to purchase a second air purifier.
Why would you recommend an air purifier that you don't own. The one you posted got awful reviews on "Consumer Affairs"
If you don't know, don't recommend. After all it's "magicians helping magicians"

Regards,
Ihor
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Because the ones I bought had good reviews and did not do the job, so I would not recommend them either. Although the Oreck has customer comments that say they are satisfied with them.

Ihop, what is your recommendation? Waiting for your magicians helping magicians comments.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ihop, Bill didn't recommend this purifier, he was merely offering an alternative purifier which is what Allen was asking for. It's up to him to do the research. Bill is just providing a possibility. If you have a suggestion for Allen, please post it. Otherwise I wouldn't criticize those that are trying to help.
Where the magic begins
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Dave,
PM sent.
Ihor
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I own two Austin air purifiers couldn't recommend them higher...I've had several brands and models and love the Austin ones best -- still doesn't cure the problem and as we know nothing will but I've seen a better result with Austin then I have with others
DANSPERRY.COM
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, sperris wrote:
I own two Austin air purifiers couldn't recommend them higher...I've had several brands and models and love the Austin ones best -- still doesn't cure the problem and as we know nothing will but I've seen a better result with Austin then I have with others

Thanks man. This is the answer I was looking for. They look expensive, but are way cheaper than a lung transplant. The Honeywell one I have does ok for the price, but I think with one of these Austin ones with it I will be good to go. I always appreciate your help!

magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Not sure how honest the site is but you might check this out
https://air-purifier-ratings.org/learn/w......urifier/
"https://air-purifier-ratings.org/learn/what-is-an-air-purifier/"

Regards
Dick Brookz and Dorothy Dietrich
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I don't think it's a good idea to keep doves in the house. All the air filters won't keep dander from getting into your lungs.
Best to keep them outside in a bird coop.
Tricky Ricky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Air Filter? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL