We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New John Carey Book. Minimalistica Coming Soon. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
[quote]On Nov 23, 2015, magicmerlz wrote:
Hi all

Silly question perhaps, but how do I log in to the minimalistica web site? I have pre ordered and received a password etc... but I cant find anywhere to log in and get my bonus download/lecture notes.

Hoping you can help.

Regards

Hi Matt.

I've sent you a private message.

Best

John
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up that the Minimalistica books arrive tomorrow from my printers. All pre orders will then be shipped out. The pre publication special price of £30 plus shipping is open until tomorrow night. This includes a free link to download my session convention and Dublin lecture notes which contain over 30 card pieces and utilities not found in Minimalistica. From this Thursday the price of the book will be £35 plus shipping.

On the website is a free 3 effect sampler for anyone who registers an interest in my work.
Yours to enjoy with my compliments. Also on the site are 5 performance clips of material from the book. No edits or mind numbing music:-)

A heartfelt thank you for the the response to the pre publication special and to all the kind people who've pre ordered. I wish you many hours of enjoyment with the material.

John
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Thanks for the update John. I'm excited to read your new book!

-Alex
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
A little heads up to people who pre ordered Minimalistica. The first large consignment of books were shipped today and the final batch will go off tomorrow. I wish you many hours of enjoyment with the material.

The book is available on general order now. Over 60 powerful, practical and doable pieces with truly something for everyone I believe. A wide range of plots are covered and there is a friends chapter containing some beautifully thought out card work.

On the website are 5 full demonstrations of some of the effects in the book.

Thanks for reading and Goodnight .

JC
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
I'm certainly enjoying reading my copy.

The routines are straightforward and direct. Some are Johns own work, some are twists on the classics. It's not a beginners book, not because the effects are difficult (they're not) but because not every sleight is explained. Many are, but not all. I would be surprised if that affected anyone on the Café though. Most of the routines are short and snappy, and in my opinion could be done walk around, table hopping or in more formal settings. The focus is on close up card magic. I will definitely be using some.

The routines are described with brevity and clarity; many of them take only 1 side, or perhaps 1 1/2 sides. A few lines about the effect then straight in. If you've read Johns previous work, including his lecture notes, you'll know what to expect. There are a few line drawings that help clarify where needed.

There are the usual geometric patterns that seem to adorn every new book nowadays. I personally don't like them, and I feel the page count would be reduced, and more accurate, without them. But overall it's a good sized hardback book and in a world of overpriced and overhyped limited editions, one wonders how John can release this at £35. If you like card magic (magic, mental magic/mentalism, you decide) I can't see how you would be disappointed. It works out at 50p an effect, which is not bad!

Nice one John, one of my better purchases this year.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1617 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2015, Rolyan wrote:
It's not a beginners book, not because the effects are difficult (they're not) but because not every sleight is explained. Many are, but not all. I would be surprised if that affected anyone on the Café though.

JC was adamant that the book not be bogged down by explaining everything. I think he felt it would be better to just assume a certain amount of basic knowledge and only go into detail where something is ambiguous or new or needs extra focus. The sleights that are explained we ran through in a great session in a naff pub next to Leicester train station where I filmed John doing every sleight from every angle for reference.

John is a no-nonsense kind of guy and his explanations of effects are very concise. I'm prone to over-write material to seduce the reader to buy-in to the routines, but John is the polar opposite - how direct and clear can I make this explanation? The text isn't full of verbal flourishes, it's just intended to get the effects from John's brain to yours as quickly and effectively as possible.

Quote:
On Dec 1, 2015, Rolyan wrote:
There are the usual geometric patterns that seem to adorn every new book nowadays. I personally don't like them, and I feel the page count would be reduced, and more accurate, without them.

This one was down to me and there is a slightly convoluted design rationale behind the graphics that I stand behind, although I'm not sure it's worth explaining here (it's to do with the concept for the book and how we broke up the layout). We were pretty keen not to get into that whole "270 pages!" advertising stuff though, because everyone knows it's spurious - none of our advertising used the page count as a selling point. "60 effects" is far more persuasive.

I'm proud of the product and I know JC is too.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18029 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you removed the graphics it would still cost the same, page count-mongers infuriate me...just focus on the content, that's all that counts ultimately...saving my read through until I'm off in a short while...
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Just for clarity, to avoid infuriating anyone, can I make it clear that I'm not a page counter. I haven't spent over 50 years buying magic books (including most major releases each year) to fall into that trap. However, I'm not a fan of the large number of empty pages followed by a geometric design that is so popular nowadays. In my opinion (which I think I'm entitled to hold and to express) it adds nothing to the book and actually detracts.

It's a shame that having given it a positive review, some choose to focus on the one small negative point I made, rather than all the positives.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Thank you gentlemen. Phill did an amazing job on the design and layout. Indeed I am proud of this collection and the value for money it offers. The response worldwide to the product has far exceeded any expectations I might have had. No pipe dreams, no filler either. Thank you once again to everyone who has purchased so far.

Have a great day.

John
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Charlieherbertmagic
Well, I was saving up for a new unicycle Smile but I think I'm gonna have to buy this first! Smile
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2015, Charlieherbertmagic wrote:
Well, I was saving up for a new unicycle Smile but I think I'm gonna have to buy this first! Smile
Thank you!!!
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
800 Posts

Profile of andykean
My copy arrived in sunny New Zealand looking forward to reading it.
Thanks for signing John Smile
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
This is a brilliant books. I love the way John thinks about magic. Streamlined entertaining card magic. I always learn something new. Thanks.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
It's obvious to anyone who reads what I put on here that I am a Carey fan( as are thousands of other people with good reason).

I ain't read even a quarter of the book as yet.

However, I am reading a few effects from the front of the book, a couple from guest contributers, & some from the back of Johns work.

Really love what I have looked at so far.

Especially like Johns ideas relating to dreams.

The technical requirements are not massive but the effect & scripting are fantastic.

Consise & drawing for the audience. You are ghosted into the story & then BAMM( ps. this is not Jay Sankey) the effect has taken place.

It creeps up on you & the work is done.

Loving the journey.

You have delivered again Mr Carey.

Thank you so much for this tome of wonderfull card experiences.

You will go down in magic ( I am sure as one of the greats.

Mike Donoghue
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
140 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Received yesterday in Italy...I burned the first 56 pages and already I felt in love with several routines. John know what is EFFECT from the layman spectators point of view.
I'm sure I will pick several items to add to my working repertoire.
Well done John!
Mejais
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Mejais
I got it today. I really like this book. The card to box effect on page 27 is so simple, but so fooling. I wish someone would have showed me this trick and fooled me badly.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Thank you very much Gentlemen.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Guys

Since Minimalistica landed the reviews have been AMAZING: check some of them out here...

Don't miss Christmas shipping on Minimalistica!
The reviews have been overwhelming, don't miss out on the best Christmas present in card magic!

Here’s what REAL readers are saying about Minimalistica

An amazing book John Carey...... Very swift, very to the point and every page very achievable ..... Pure Magic ... Thank you Smile-
Jason Cunningham

There's one thing that stands out in Minimalistica and that is how beautifully John has streamlined the handlings of the effect for maximum impact and minimum of work. Highly recommended!
Ben Ryan, NYC

I thought Crafted with Carey was a good book but Minimalistica is even better! Every item is just so practical and if you really study the book you will get an insight into Carey's devious thought process. Just get it!
Malcom Davies, Manchester

I think that the new book Minimalistica by John Carey is one of the most exciting and inspiring books on card magic of the last years...GET IT. Period.
Matteo Filippini, Italy

Thanks John, I received your book a few days ago and I've been working through the material. I just wanted you to know I think it's amazing (as I knew it would be) every item I've read so far is just brilliant. Fantastic job mate, a great investment for any magician.
Mark Daynes

Minimalistica is a hardback collection of 60 powerful and practical real-world card routines from John himself, and a collection of world-class guest creators. The book is shipping now and makes a great Christmas present, but hurry! The estimated last shipping date before Christmas is 21st December for the UK and 14th for Europe, USA and the rest of the world, so if you want to tear open a copy for Christmas, get your skates on!

Have a nice day

John Carey
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
I can give Minimalistica no greater praise than to say having read it, I immediately ordered Crafted with Carey.

9/10 and congratulations on publishing a hard backed book of this quality for only £35.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
That's very kind of you sir. Thank you so much.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New John Carey Book. Minimalistica Coming Soon. (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL