We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Using "The Raven" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Chetter
View Profile
New user
Chet Todd
6 Posts

Profile of The Chetter
I just purchased "The Raven" and am trying to master it. Does anyone have any tips on good places to attach and conceal it? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Smile
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Well, it's best just to follow the instructions fully; you will get the best results with the Raven by doing so. If you don't have the video, get it --it has a lot of neat ideas you can do with it.

Go ahead and pick up a copy of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic while you're at it. I started out playing with the Raven, and thought it was great,(which it was for one type of trick)but it has been boxed since I ventured into the gimmickless sleight of hand. You will truly benefit from getting Bobo's.
Take care,
Tom
I also have the video for the Raven, and will sell it to you at a discount price. If you are interested,
drop me a note at Tdefrange@wjhw.com
C-ya Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
The RAVEN can be used in conjuction with pure sleight of hand. It's a great 'tool' to use, and truly looks better when used in addition to the pure stuff. As a stand-alone gimmick, it can be quite effective, but again, think about using it in conjunction with pure sleights.

Definitely acquire the video! Chuck shows you just about everything you'd want to know about the RAVEN. From proper attachment, to some pretty neat effects.

Pretty much, the only effect I use the RAVEN for is the final, complete vanish of the coin. I've used this vanish in part, with a FISM FLASH... and the reaction is quite astonishing (the coin vanishes instantly in a bright flash of light.)

Practice doing the moves without the RAVEN first, and then when you see how things look in the real-world, bring in the RAVEN for the actual moves. This will help your movements with the RAVEN look much more realistic.

Have Fun!
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
tgm00sehead
View Profile
New user
Nj
1 Post

Profile of tgm00sehead
I am novice magician and I keep hearing about the Raven. Can some explain exactly what it is? Thanks.
^^Chris^^
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
The Raven is a utility device based upon an old principle, primarily used to vanish objects. David Blaine used it in one of his specials to vanish a coin in the spectator's hand.

Most applications require long sleeves. Although Chuck outlines a T-shirt application, I'd be curious to know if anyone actually uses the Raven in short sleeves.

Oops! I forgot the original application --the one that fried me in a magic shop-- wherein the Raven is used with a short sleeve, button-up shirt.
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
The Raven is a great utility, as long as it isn't abused....You can perform miracles with it....I dislike the way it looks when using it in short sleeves, as to me, the hand positioning required looks 'fishy'
The Chetter
View Profile
New user
Chet Todd
6 Posts

Profile of The Chetter
I'm experimenting with various types of shirts and positions. So far I haven't found anything that I'm real comfortable with. I will keep you posted if I make any worthwhile discoveries.

The Chetter
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
I too have the Raven and the Raven video, but as I am now learning more, I have no use for it, so I am looking to sell them both.

Anyone interested please p.m. me and we can do a deal.

Regards, Trevor
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I've used the Raven a lot with short sleeves. Sometimes you may have to unbutton one button to aid it going into your shirt, but some shirts are fine.
Also, remember to do your vanishing move slowly. If you do it fast, it looks fishy.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
I have the standard Raven and it's okay. It's not my style though. It's expensive buying steel coins and a pain to have on your arm the whole day. If you always wear jackets and dressy long sleeve shirts and have patience then I would recommend the Raven. Be prepared to also purchase some steel or shimmed coins if you really want to make the best use out of it.

Get the standard raven. From what I heard the reel raven gets noisy after a while. Universal raven has gotten some mixed reviews so I'm not too sure about that. Also the video is a MUST HAVE if you're buying the raven. So many handling tips and ideas that will help immensely.

You can go to google.com and search for "universal raven review" you might get something there.

Hope this helps

Be Curious
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
Did you know that a shiny new two pence piece can be picked up, I have the reel raven and use quite a lot when strolling, and I just ask for a two pence piece, I haven't bought any steel coins yet (don't think I will)

oh and a one pence piece
Mr. Magician
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Mr. Magician
Hello.
In fact I have tried it with a shirt!
It works better than with the jacket in my opinion. Smile
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I just use a very loose shirt.

Jakks
Link
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Link
I can't make it look natural in short sleves and also is there a way to do it in a tee-shirt with out an overshirt? I own the original if that makes a difference! Smile
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
I can do it comfortably in a t-shirt and jeans. I leave the shirt untucked and thread the gimmick thru my belt loops to the front of me. They act as a guide for it. Also, it makes it very easy to grab that 'something' to start the trick. The one drawback is that the whole trick takes place lower to the floor at waist level, but I continue to use it this way and am pleased with it.
PS- The reel raven is junk. Get the original. Happy magic!
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I believe I posted this somewhere else on the site, but I will say it again here,
One thing I have found incredibly strong when using the Raven is vanishing a BIC lighter, or even a zippo, I wear a sports coat when I perform and it is a very simple matter to vanish a lighter, and show the sleeves to be empty.. even take off the jacket and give it a shake to show that the lighter is no where to be found...
this works excellent for me, because in the process of putting the jacket back on, I can retrieve the lighter.(much easier than a coin) and conceal it for a production later on in my routine... just thought I would throw this in, there is a lot you can do with a raven despite all of the bad flack it catches from those that have learned sleight of hand so well...
Also, I am excellent at sleight of hand as well, and have mastered a great number of
techniques using no gimmicks at all....
but I still use the Raven on occasion..
it really blows the spectators away.
Have fun
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Haas04
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Haas04
I've been performing the RAVEN around school for a year now, and it's still one of my favorite effects. Definitely go with the Standard RAVEN, because the Reel version (I kid you not) squeaked when I used it. I only had it about 2 weeks and it was way too loud. Also, I've been looking around for a shimmed, expanded half dollar shell to use with the RAVEN, because I really don't want to use the one I have for the Hopping Half (If you've never heard of it, check it out, it's awesome!!) I've tried to buy shims from hobby shops but haven't been successful. So if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it greatly.

~Haas
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Most of the PK shim/add on kits will work.
Check Chazpro.com they have three different shim sets and special things for the Raven as well.

There is also a White Raven for white linen shirts.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Ben7217
View Profile
New user
Happy Magic
20 Posts

Profile of Ben7217
Don't wash it!!! I bought the "reel" raven and accidentally washed it in my sport coat. The string is stuck inside it now and won't come out! Oh well. I never used it a lot but I did like to fool around with it. So again I don't suggest washing it in the washing machine. Also don't lose your special quarter! I searched through hundreds of quarters until I finally found the thing!
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Go to a dealer that deals Mak Magic products. They can hook you up with shimmed shells, magnetic core coins, and steel core coins. Smile
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Using "The Raven" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL