The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Bill Abbott Performs Close-Up for Kids" DVD - not a DVD. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I just bought this from Hocus Pocus, Hank Lee's also featured it in their recent hotlist.

- BUT, and this is a big but...

It has been advertised as a DVD.

It is not a DVD.

It's a DVD-ROM, probably run off on Bill Abbott's home computer I'm guessing.

So needless to say it won't run on standard DVD players that don't play DVD-Roms...

I've just informed Hocus Pocus about it, I'm expecting a refund or credit seeing as it has been advertised incorrectly, so a heads-up to everyone, if you can't handle DVD-Roms then you can't handle this release.

I'm guessing the dealers will start adding "DVD-ROM" to their descriptions when people start returning them.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2915 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I had the same problem . Although Disc #2 worked and Disc #1 did not. Hocus Pocus said they would send me out new set. I'll post a review later.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
That is a BIG DEAL! I wonder why it's advertised as a DVD. Thanks for posting this!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
So needless to say it won't run on standard DVD players that don't play DVD-Roms.

Hi,
I thought most std DVD player played Dvd roms???
even the cheapest ones seem to play them along with CD films ext over here in the UK
Phillip
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of toberman
I have had no problems playng these discs on my computer, in my home DVD player, or in my portable DVD player. What is the difference between a DVD and a DVD-ROM? By the way, I think there is some great material on this set.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22351 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-02-29 02:16, toberman wrote:
I have had no problems playng these discs on my computer, in my home DVD player, or in my portable DVD player. What is the difference between a DVD and a DVD-ROM? By the way, I think there is some great material on this set.

Different Technology different formating. It is the old question of VHS vs. Beta Max. I am sure ROM will loose.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
The first set I got did not play the second set did. That explains the little MAC apple in the corner of the picture.

Anyway about the DVD. He had some good ideas for routines but the DVD (Or whatever it is)said KIDS walk around. To me these were standard effects that he performed for kids. I too could use most of my routines for both adults and kids; I was expecting a little more "Childishness" to the routines.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I contacted Bill and he did have this professionally replicated. He was going to check with the replicator as far as the format. I have not had a problem playing this on my DVD player or my computer. I tried a couple of sets on a couple fo players and computers and all seemed to play fine in all attempts. As with any video duplication, DVD replication, etc. there is typically a small percentage that do not copy correctly (this is fairly standard) - thus I imagine if you do have a problem you have fallen into this narrow range and should seek a replacement from wherever you got it. Thsi DVD set has some great material and does not treat kids like they can't think... the material isn't as "demeaning" as I have seen with so much kids magic. It was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed this DVD set.

Tim
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I wanted to clear up my first post..
I think this DVD is great with some good ideas. When I said more "Kiddish" I did not mean it in a bad way. I would best compair "kiddish" to a David Ginn style. This DVD is not a Ginn style and that is what I though when I first saw "For kids" I do recommend this DVD for any walk around performers.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Bill Abbott Performs Close-Up for Kids" DVD - not a DVD. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL