The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mistake or scam? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
The scam doesn't involve checks anymore. It's only payment systems.
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
I was recently contacted (via text) by an "eric lawson" who wanted me to perform for his niece's 1st birthday party.
After trying to gather more information about the party, he asked if I'd also "do him a favor" and allow him to place the cater's fee on my credit card as well, explaining that the caterer wouldn't accept credit cards.
Of course this fired off red flags all over the place and was clearly an "over payment" scam.
A quick Google search of his phone number revealed that he had a history of trying to scam others.

The same eric lawson contacted me the next day to perform for "David" who was 10 years old. Guess he was having trouble keeping track of his "scam clients". Smile

andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9765 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Man, nothing worse than an unorganized scammer.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Here is what I would do. Agree to do the show for $100,000 and have him make the check out to your company. When you receive the check, frame it and hang it up in your office. Smile

Maybe we should have a contest here on the Café and see who can get the biggest amount!

I hope I get this scam email
BK_Magician
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
7 Posts

Profile of BK_Magician
Scams drive me nuts, but when they are this obvious its almost laughable and encourages you to mess with them. Don't forget to report them to the authorities!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20027 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which authorities exactly? Plus if they don't actually get the money what crime has been committed?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9765 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Which authorities? The MP - the Magic Police
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9492 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Here are a few phone numbers which have texted me the same offer, over the past few years.

586 888 5410, 702 965 5339, 717 489 7267

Since it's not obvious how to block a text, here is what I've figured out.... Add them as a contact, then you can block all their calls and texts
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2015, MikeDes wrote:
Here is what I would do. Agree to do the show for $100,000 and have him make the check out to your company. When you receive the check, frame it and hang it up in your office. Smile

Now there is an idea that I can get into!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Andrew, I also recently got contacted by Eric Lawson also through a text message. Exact same story, caterer and all. His niece was David, 10 years old. Very strange. Definitely a scam.

Today, Stevn Clark contacted me wanting a birthday party for his baby niece. (The spelling error of Steven was his.)
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Caféinst,

I wonder if anyone has ever fallen for this routine. Whoever is behind the "eric lawson" scams must not be very bright...or there are more who are unaware than I realize!

andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9492 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, Andrew wrote:
Caféinst,

I wonder if anyone has ever fallen for this routine.

Andrew,
Send me ten dollars and I'll let you in on it Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
psychod
View Profile
Regular user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
164 Posts

Profile of psychod
Hey, you guys got nothing on the e-mail invoice I got at work:

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that due to your unpaid debt amount of $745.47 to Sandor Inc., from November 31, 2015 we have passed your case to the court.

Your prompt attention is required to resolve this issue.

Attached you can find your invoice and case information to review.

Not only did I not click on the attachment, I'm still wondering how they created a new day in November!
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
Wow. That is as bad as those emails I het saying that I have inherited $1 million dollars from some distant relative that recently passed away in a foreign country. I can get the money if I pay $200 via Western Union to pay for the legal transfer cost.The old Nigerian 419 scam will never die off unfortunately.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mistake or scam? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL