We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gold Dust Live Deluxe Limited Edition 3 DVD Set (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2242 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, Paul Hughes wrote:
Howdy. I received the three disk set on Saturday and have spend a few days working my way through the disks. I have several of Paul's effects and there is some overlap between some of his previous projects. However, that said, the production quality, the explanations and just the general, "off the cuff" hints and tips about the routines, and getting into the routines are worth their weight for someone either getting into professional magic, or someone with their own set, looking for some fresh, stunning effects.

The packet effects (with supplied cards) - The Ultimate Sting (which is a cracker!), Killer OMG and a gaff to aid The Muldooon match are all excellent additions to the limited edition. On top of this Paul's classic take on Joe Riding's "Three Card Trick with Four Cards", called Corner of Piccadilly is also fully explained (you need to supply your own regular cards).

Other effects of note are Diminishing Not Likely, Twister, Illogical and Discrepant Collectors, Easy Ace Estimation, Head to Head Poker, Killer Card Mystery (which is a cracking take on Hamman's "Signed Card"), Twin Peeks, Shocked Aces... The list goes on and on.

You would be hard pressed to not find a bunch of effects to add into your repertoire straight away, many of which flow into each other very nicely.

For me though, its the hints, tips, subtleties and general banter between Dave Loosley and Peter Nardi in the interview that make this a stand out collection. Stuff that you only normal pick up after many years of experience performing in the real world.

I would heartily recommend it.

Thank you so much for the comments and great review!

Peter
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I just finished watching this DVD set. Having read a couple of Paul Gordon's books, it was a real pleasure to watch him perform. Paul has been a professional magician for over 40 years, and so you know his material is practical. Although Paul is technically proficient (he does the pinky count and one-handed palm in a couple of pieces, although he gives other ways to accomplish the same thing), most of the tricks are not at all difficult. And all are strong and suitable for the real world.

This set stands heads and shoulders above much of the material being peddled these days. Highly recommended.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1702 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I have been watching these the last couple of evenings, and there is some truly strong material here. Even stuff that we all do, like Ambitious Card and Twisting The Aces, have little twists and hints (that are not all original with Paul, but he's pretty good at acknowledging this). Hellman's Aces is sweet.

Paul's performing persona? Well, put it this way: he's a busy pro and it works for him. I wish I could make a living with just a deck of cards! An odd thing occurred when I was watching this DVD. After several performances, I would say to myself, "nah, that one's not for me." Then I would watch the explanation and change my mind. I guess watching the instruction made me think about how I would do it rather than Paul.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I got this set and do some stuff from it, if you want to know I'll tell you what is my favourite ones
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1702 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Is it a secret, Karl M? Is there a password?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Ha yeah I'll write them here when I get a minute mate no password is needed Smile I saw Paul in Blackpool and the good thing is the way he goes from one trick into the next and builds some sets but the DVD is Just single performances so I reckon they missed a opportunity to show what he does at his best
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Interested in your favourites KarlM.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1090 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Once again I'm late...VERY late...to the game, but finally saw this thread and ordered Gold Dust Live. Really looking forward to spending the next ten years of my life attempting to master perhaps one tenth of the material on this set . Smile Seriously, Paul's work has always challenged me, and rewarded my taking on that challenge, so I'm really looking forward to receiving this from Alakazam.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gold Dust Live Deluxe Limited Edition 3 DVD Set (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL