The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storing ALL your stuff at home? (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
609 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I use a lot of stand-up/kidshow/school assembly props and equipment. I use 18 gallon totes (rubbermade-style, but cheaper). Those are numbered. I have a spreadsheet that tells me what's in each tote. I have catagories:
- Tote #
- Item Name
- Effect (Production, Vanish, Transformation, Transposition, etc)
- Maker/Inventor
- Extra Notes

I keep 2 printouts in a 3 ring binder (one sorted by Tote # and one sorted by Item Name)... but I can always open my, laptop, iPhone or iPad and search using the iCloud.

All those totes go on shelving in order.... I do this because, I have lots of totes -- no bragging here, just the facts for anyone else in my shoes.

I purposefully leave a dozen blank lines when printing so I can add or make any changes. Some of the items are grouped together, but most are in whatever bin it fits in. I keep silks in the rolling, plastic drawers sorted by size, close-up in a large, upright rolling toolbox and gimmicks in a storage case that has already been described as being used for nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

Keep in mind: I do it this way because I've been collecting magic since I was a kid and I was a dealer for a time when I was regularly lecturing - So I could get some of my stuff at greatly reduced rates when either ordering wholesale/bulk or several at a time (I would sell off the extras at lectures and at club flea-markets).

I hope this helps someone or gives you some ideas.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad Jamie!

You must travel in an 18 wheeler for a school show!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
609 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Dick,
No, no -- of course not Smile I travel fairly light these days and even have to find ways to get shows, programs and children's ministry presentations overseas... so a couple of suitcases these days.

I do collect and keep many props, however. I also present every weekend in my own church - so, there's a lot of gospel magic that's been collected and cataloged as well.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storing ALL your stuff at home? (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL