The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storing ALL your stuff at home? (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I use a lot of stand-up/kidshow/school assembly props and equipment. I use 18 gallon totes (rubbermade-style, but cheaper). Those are numbered. I have a spreadsheet that tells me what's in each tote. I have catagories:
- Tote #
- Item Name
- Effect (Production, Vanish, Transformation, Transposition, etc)
- Maker/Inventor
- Extra Notes

I keep 2 printouts in a 3 ring binder (one sorted by Tote # and one sorted by Item Name)... but I can always open my, laptop, iPhone or iPad and search using the iCloud.

All those totes go on shelving in order.... I do this because, I have lots of totes -- no bragging here, just the facts for anyone else in my shoes.

I purposefully leave a dozen blank lines when printing so I can add or make any changes. Some of the items are grouped together, but most are in whatever bin it fits in. I keep silks in the rolling, plastic drawers sorted by size, close-up in a large, upright rolling toolbox and gimmicks in a storage case that has already been described as being used for nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

Keep in mind: I do it this way because I've been collecting magic since I was a kid and I was a dealer for a time when I was regularly lecturing - So I could get some of my stuff at greatly reduced rates when either ordering wholesale/bulk or several at a time (I would sell off the extras at lectures and at club flea-markets).

I hope this helps someone or gives you some ideas.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad Jamie!

You must travel in an 18 wheeler for a school show!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Dick,
No, no -- of course not Smile I travel fairly light these days and even have to find ways to get shows, programs and children's ministry presentations overseas... so a couple of suitcases these days.

I do collect and keep many props, however. I also present every weekend in my own church - so, there's a lot of gospel magic that's been collected and cataloged as well.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storing ALL your stuff at home? (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL