The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sneaky times to practice (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Hello,

As we magicians are all such busy people I wondered when everybody finds time to put in the practice.

I have started to carry a deck of cards with me at all times which is useful when I'm on the train.

Someone in the Café has also recommended to me keeping a pack by the phone which I like.

Has anyone else got any good top tips for sneaking extra practice time into a busy life?
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Though there are many suggestions that I'm sure will come pouring in over time, consider this:

Think about items that are handy to you in your immediate surroundings. In addition to cards, how about coins or tokens you may keep in your pockets or purse. Always a good time to practice passes, vanishes, acquitments, etc. At school or the office? What about that paper clip on the desk? Perhaps learning an effect such as The Opener by Morgan Strebler. Rubber bands, pens/pencils for fl*p st**k moves, etc. Anywhere I go now, I look at everything differently. Always looking at the way I can manipulate something or use it in an effect of some sort. Just keep an open mind and limber fingers!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
210 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
I think its important to set aside time to practice magic, and to have a graceful space to do it in.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
With learning new slights or cars moves and shuffles I find what my juggling teacher said. its better to practice 6 times a day for 10min a time, then practice 1 time a day for 60min. Little and often is always best. However you also need to set time were your crunch things hard espical putting routines together.

Also you should be keeping a note book of ideas. Brain storming or writing patter is good for trains.

Just keep going your find your way
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Great advice from everyone - thanks. Smile

I bought a notebook just to keep all my ideas in, any opportunity to buy new stationery. Smile
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
I'm a total stationary nerd too...it's my kryptonite!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
You can *never* have too much cool stationery. Fact. Smile
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
She gets it. Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

eralph357
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of eralph357
I sometimes practice palming when doing other things, like working on the computer, whatever. See if anyone notices or if something causes me to slip.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I know this isn't what you meant, but since you are talking about practice, what about sneaking in time to actually practice magic and not just the moves (definitely not the same thing). Squeeze in a mini performance when you are out and about.

Ask a person at a Starbucks or a Restaurant or wherever if they would help you out...say you are a performer and have an idea you wanted to run by someone you didn't know and would they mind giving you an opinion. It lowers their expectations - it's not a magic performance but rather it makes them feel like they are advising you and then you do a quick effect. Nothing beats learning from performing.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thank you everyone for your great ideas. That's all really helpful!

I like the Starbucks idea - I might have to work up to that one.. Smile
shg_123
View Profile
New user
Coffey, MO
63 Posts

Profile of shg_123
When I was learning coin sleights I would keep a coin palmed all day just to build the muscles and to make it look more natural
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Oh really? That sounds like a good idea.

Mike - I tried your 'magic in everyday things' idea yesterday to do elastic band magic with hair bobbles (with some success!) Smile
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
That's awesome, Sarah! Keep it up, and keep your mind open to new and interesting opportunities to practice and perform! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Yes, they aren't ideal as the metal bits can kind of catch on each other - but it is something I haven't done before. Smile
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I got myself used to a TT by wearing one all day, or at least part of a day, a few times. It helped.
I practiced coin sleights a few times at spare moments as well. Btw, if you're practicing a sleight where at the beginning the item might be dropped a few times whilst you're learning it (coins are an example), practice over your bed or at least a couch - less bending down and searching around for it. Much less frustrating a process.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Or with a hat or purse on your lap if you're taking the train Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
When am I not practicing?
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
I know a lot of people say that you should set times to practice. Which I agree and disagree with.

There should be times when you are actually studying a book, writing ideas, scripting routines, and perfecting sleights.
But for me there isn't a moment in my day were I don't have my cards in hand. I know this is probably more difficult for adults but for me people have just gotten used to the fact I don't put my cards down.

So for me every minute is practice! Smile
prestidigitation
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of prestidigitation
For any new/developing skill they say it's best to practice first thing in the morning after you get up. (And also before you go to bed helps).
Which sounds like a pain, but it doesn't have to be any kind of focused or long process like a real practice session. Just a quick review of what you practiced the day(s) before to get your mind instantly back in that mode.
I think it has something to do with our lucid state of waking up/going to sleep. It inserts/reinforces skills into our subconcious so we think about the mechanics less and allow our hands to do the work for us. And we also can come up with some wonderful new ideas as well!

A lot of great thinkers made use of this principle:
Pablo Picasso would wake up every morning and immediately scribble a few sketches. Very quick, messy ones; whatever came to mind. Then he would throw them all away and start on his paintings.
Thomas Edison would often fall asleep in a chair with a metal ball in one hand and a metal plate on the floor. When he started to doze off, the ball would drop and hit the plate, waking him up from his luccid state....and many times he'd have a remarkable new idea in mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sneaky times to practice (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL