The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized decks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

Profile of Shurikenstorm5
I'm not too fond of using cards in mentalism, but if you use them, what effects do you ever use with a memorized deck? I've only done simple stuff like "body language reading" to find out what card they chose. I'm interested in effects that just require a cycling of the cards such as si stebbins or 8 kings, but also in effects that require you to know the position of every card in the deck.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Whether or not you employ the Aronson stack, you owe it to yourself to check out some of his books on the memdeck subject. There are some excellent card mentalism ideas therein, and you are sure to find something you like.

Of course, there are basic combinations of mentalism ideas, such as using a memdeck with NW/PW and a billet switch for a version of ACAAN. In reality, a memdeck's use is more or less limited by your own imagination. Good luck to you in your new journey! Keep in touch; we look forward to hearing your progress.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
If you're familiar with Aronson's Shuffle Board and Cassidy's Master Card Memory routine, you've got a terrific "photographic memory" type routine. For Shuffle Bored, you use a full stacked deck. At the end of the routine, you end up with a deck mixed with face up and face down cards. My presentation angle for this effect is to quickly riffle through the cards, supposedly making a photographic image of all of the face up cards I see. I then announce the exact number of cards I believe to be face up in the deck. The spectator deals the cards into two piles, one face up, the other face down, and in the process, count out loud the number of face up cards. The actual number matches the number I announced. Now, with Shuffle Bored complete, you transition into Cassidy's Master Card Memory routine. What you have is two piles of cards, one face down, the other face up. I announce that while the spectator counted through the pack, I quickly tried to memorize every face up card I saw. I have one spectator pick up the face up pack and spread it in front of them, and have the other spectator take the face down pack and do the same. I then proceed to go through every card in the deck, calling out which packet it's in.
Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

Profile of Shurikenstorm5
Thank you bindmender. I'll have to check out those two effects you described.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
If I recall correctly, Looch had a memory demonstration using Aronson's Shuffle Bored method.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I'm happy to offer what I hope to be a useful overview of this topic (on which much misguided advice has been written over the years).
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
In my opinion, one of the most impressive mentalism effects with a memdeck is Aronson's Histed Heisted. It is really worth learning and performing.
Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Mindbender this sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it out. Thanks.
Steve
bigtyme
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bigtyme
Some years back I went to a Jamy Swiss lecture at a convention. His first question, "Raise your hand if you do card magic." Everyone in the hall raised their hand. His second question, "Raise your hand if you do coin magic." About 2/3 of the room raised their hand. His final question, "Raise your hand if you do memorized deck work." About ten people in the banquet hall raised their hand. A lot of magicians will happily work on physical moves, but when one's brain is required to practice the crowd thins. Memorized deck work will put you in a small group. The beauty of practicing a stack is you can recite it while you're pretty much doing anything. If you want a routine with a stack that will make you look like you can truly read minds, check out Histed Heisted from Simon Aronson's book Bound to Please. Have a great afternoon.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
How does a memorized stack help you when someone hands you a deck and asks you to "do a trick"? And boy, is my "brain required to practice" coming up with new effects/routines/handlings/ideas and remembering them all!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Also, why do card tricks at all when you can sing a song without even needing any cards!
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of foxygrandma908
I do a memorized deck routine that is two phases. One I will explain (if close up or appropriate) and the other is authentic memorizing a deck. The premise is showing how once can pretend to memorize a shuffled deck followed by me memorizing a shuffled deck.
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Harry with all due respect a double K card will solve the " hey bro use this deck" situation.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
The more people not doing memorized deck magic, the more happier I am Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I have no idea what a double K card is.

foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Lol MetalMaster I see where you are coming from but memorization of anything shows mental strength and skill. Granted there are 150+ deck memorization, your performance makes all the difference in the world. Everyone on this forum could preform the same effect but we SHOULD have have all different presentations, which would make the the effect different every time.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks for the PM info, foxy. But I don't use that, or anything else, JUST a borrowed deck.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And, so far as memorizing cards is concerned - for about 40 years or so, part of my personal appearances was to memorize a shuffled deck of giant cards as they were called in rapid order at that time - no tricks, etc. - just memorize the darn cards. And I did a close-up thing with a shuffled deck of cards that at one point changed my life when I did it for an "important" person.

Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
And that's the difference between stunts and mind reading feats.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized decks (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL