The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Need Help On Paul Diamond Reel (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Does anyone know how I can open the Paul Diamond reel so I can get the string out?

Thanks in advance.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Isn't there a small notch on one side?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Be careful! If you remove the "insides" wrong, the spring may unwind, and you'll have a mess. Paul and P&L used to repair reels for a nominal fee. --Not anymore. A dentist friend (and magician) used to fix my reels, before he died.

I don't know who, today, does.

Perhaps Bill Hegbli does!

PS It aint "string"! It's silk thread, or sometimes today more modern filaments.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Diamond explains how to open his reel in his teaching video from www.llepub.com .

Check out my detailed distribution here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Dick - Thanks. You're right. I meant the thread.... Smile

Plink - Yes, I see the tiny notch on the bottom. Do I just pry it open? I don't want to damage the reel.
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Bill - Thanks!

"Never - Never - Never pull the line out and let it snap back on it own."

Wish I had read this.... Smile

What tool should I use to open up the reel's (tiny) notch to get my line out?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Get one of those mini screwdrivers to do this. The entire face of the reel will pop out (it fits like some coin gimmicks do).

It will be necessary to lift the entire spool out in order to retrieve the end of the line and be able to feed it back through the tiny hole again. There are usually also some small discs cut from playing cards. These act as bushings and buffers. Don't lose or damage them. Lifting the spool from the case also requires detaching the spring from the center post. Do this carefully. The spring itself is under tension inside the spool. But while the line is broken, there is no tension in relationship to this center post.

DO NOT ALLOW THE SPRING TO COME OUT OF THE SPOOL!! You'd end up with a bird nest of metal on your hands. This is a real pain to reset. Just work carefully and you'll be fine.

Once you find the end of the line, feed the free end through the tiny hole in the side of the reel.

Place the entire spool back in place, being sure that the spring connects with the center post again (there is a slot in the post for this). Be careful while doing this that the line doesn't jump off the side of the spool and end up UNDER the spool. This is a common mistake. If it does, just start over. Put the discs back in place, too.

Once everything is back inside, put the metal cover back on. It's just a friction fit, so gently push it until it seats properly.

Now, you must pull out a short length of the thread in order to tie the bead back on. This is necessary so that the thread has a bit of tension even when it is fully retracted. This task in itself can be a bit tricky. A second set of hands makes this easier, but if you are by yourself, just wind the thread around something like a pencil several times, and this will lock the thread while you tie the bead to the end.

All this is said with the assumption that you have plenty of thread still on the spool. If that is not the case, you will need to replace it with a longer length.

Good luck! I've fixed more of these than I can count. You can do this.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Thank you, Michael. Very informative. Smile

Never fixed a reel before but I will give it a try.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I fixed some of them but I haven't worked on a diamond in a few years. Just keep your thumb over the spring or you will have a major job. Another trick is to engage the spring and then pull out some string. Now loop the string around the drum and let it retract. This will increase the tension on the string.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Thanks for the advice, Richard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Need Help On Paul Diamond Reel (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL