We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tequila Hustler (150 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5591 Posts

Profile of videoman
IMO you don’t really need a “logical pause” because you can start off using the proper coin needed and it’s a simple matter to bring Flux into play whenever you desire, especially if you are turning your back to the participant(s) at some point in the routine.

Try the routine out a couple times and that should give you an indication if you are on the right track and what you need to do to improve it.

I do like the idea of using a hand sanitizer to subtly show your hands empty as that is probably a nice gesture with this type of effect anyway, regardless of whether there is a virus going around or not. That is a very topical thing to do, in more ways than one. 😃
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Videoman, thanks for the input. Not having the Flux device to play with yet, I could only guess how simple/complicated it might be to bring into play and thus imagined that a little covering pause might be required. Glad to hear that this may not be the case.

Yes, I'll take a small (very small) amount of credit for the sanitizer shtick. The idea of changing methods, however, I gratefully give credit to countless others who have promoted the practice for virtually all types of effects. I read and re-read this wonderful Magic Café Forum of ours almost daily, and in the words of Kenny Rogers, I frequently find "an ace that I can keep."
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
I have owned Tequila Hustler (through Penguin) for a just little while and really enjoy the look of bewilderment on the spectator's part. The bit I find "humorous" is when they think they have immediately figured it out - and make it sound like a very simple logic puzzle. I have tried a couple of different come-backs with this, but have been toying with whether I should respond at all. Here are the some of the various replies used to date:
- try it out on your friends here, when I am gone, and see if it is as simple as you think
- OK then, try it on me right now and see if your theory works
- no my friend, you are way off the mark - and then just walk away

Views from more experienced practitioners would be greatly appreciated.

Also - quite keen to see what TH2 has to offer, but that project is taking its time to appear . . .
aka John
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
JuanPoop, I think a good-natured challenge about reversing roles to see if the spec can perform the trick on you is probably best. I have even had success doing this with my 12-year-old grandson (who thinks he knows everything). Just a simple "Can YOU do it?" accompanied by a smile usually turns the conversation off in another direction fairly quickly.
Fromentum
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Fromentum
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2021, JuanPoop wrote:
I have owned Tequila Hustler (through Penguin) for a just little while and really enjoy the look of bewilderment on the spectator's part. The bit I find "humorous" is when they think they have immediately figured it out - and make it sound like a very simple logic puzzle. I have tried a couple of different come-backs with this, but have been toying with whether I should respond at all. Here are the some of the various replies used to date:
- try it out on your friends here, when I am gone, and see if it is as simple as you think
- OK then, try it on me right now and see if your theory works
- no my friend, you are way off the mark - and then just walk away

Views from more experienced practitioners would be greatly appreciated.

Also - quite keen to see what TH2 has to offer, but that project is taking its time to appear . . .


That are possible outs but why not double down on your reading skills and just go: "Oh that's interesting... I never noticed this. Then I have to exclude the switch part the next time. Thanky for noticing. But anyways this is a 50/50 chance. So lets do something with more possibilities."
And the you go into your favourite other routine (Kurotsuke/Drawing Duplication/Book test/Force Bag). A simple card force and reveal with a lier truth teller presentation would work fine.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
JuanPoop, the last post by Fromentum reminds me that you could also go all-out, as I recently did, and purchase the admittedly pricey Flux by Filicetti and then use it by way of a comeback to completely nuke any and all theories about a "logic puzzle." A Flux device is currently in the mail to me with delivery scheduled in a couple of days, so I can't recommend it from personal experience yet. However, it has received mostly rave reviews from others here on the Magic Café, so my hopes are high. Otherwise, there remain much cheaper alternatives such as Elizalde's Manoeda and Romanos' Gerti Reborn to consider as well. --So much magic, so little time (and money), eh? (smile)
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
JuanPoop, I think a good-natured challenge about reversing roles to see if the spec can perform the trick on you is probably best. I have even had success doing this with my 12-year-old grandson (who thinks he knows everything). Just a simple "Can YOU do it?" accompanied by a smile usually turns the conversation off in another direction fairly quickly.


Thanks Deckstacker, yes that seems to be a good approach. It’s all in the tone of the retort, isn’t it? Make it good natured and you have room to move, depending on how it is received. Appreciate the input.
aka John
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2021, Fromentum wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2021, JuanPoop wrote:
I have owned Tequila Hustler (through Penguin) for a just little while and really enjoy the look of bewilderment on the spectator's part. The bit I find "humorous" is when they think they have immediately figured it out - and make it sound like a very simple logic puzzle. I have tried a couple of different come-backs with this, but have been toying with whether I should respond at all. Here are the some of the various replies used to date:
- try it out on your friends here, when I am gone, and see if it is as simple as you think
- OK then, try it on me right now and see if your theory works
- no my friend, you are way off the mark - and then just walk away

Views from more experienced practitioners would be greatly appreciated.

Also - quite keen to see what TH2 has to offer, but that project is taking its time to appear . . .


That are possible outs but why not double down on your reading skills and just go: "Oh that's interesting... I never noticed this. Then I have to exclude the switch part the next time. Thanky for noticing. But anyways this is a 50/50 chance. So lets do something with more possibilities."
And the you go into your favourite other routine (Kurotsuke/Drawing Duplication/Book test/Force Bag). A simple card force and reveal with a lier truth teller presentation would work fine.


Yes, another good suggestion. I do have a couple of effects up my sleeve that could be used for this specific instance.

Thanks Fromentum!
aka John
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
JuanPoop, the last post by Fromentum reminds me that you could also go all-out, as I recently did, and purchase the admittedly pricey Flux by Filicetti and then use it by way of a comeback to completely nuke any and all theories about a "logic puzzle." A Flux device is currently in the mail to me with delivery scheduled in a couple of days, so I can't recommend it from personal experience yet. However, it has received mostly rave reviews from others here on the Magic Café, so my hopes are high. Otherwise, there remain much cheaper alternatives such as Elizalde's Manoeda and Romanos' Gerti Reborn to consider as well. --So much magic, so little time (and money), eh? (smile)


Yes that would certainly put paid to any comeback, but as you say, it is pricey!! Like, really pricey…

I will have a look at the cheaper alternative devices, out of interest, but likely go the way of developing a couple of stand-by effects if the spectator gets cheeky or difficult. Thanks for the follow up.
aka John
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
I now own both Tequila Hustler and Flux (which arrived late yesterday via USPS from Theory 11) and I'm so pumped about having 2 different 'which hand' methods to perform that I find myself craving another. Most interesting to me right now is Gerti Reborn, the method of which I pretty much know but the gimmick for which I have been unable to locate anywhere. If anyone can point me to a source for the US quarter version of Gerti Reborn, I would be very grateful indeed. Thanks in advance!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2346 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
I now own both Tequila Hustler and Flux (which arrived late yesterday via USPS from Theory 11) and I'm so pumped about having 2 different 'which hand' methods to perform that I find myself craving another. Most interesting to me right now is Gerti Reborn, the method of which I pretty much know but the gimmick for which I have been unable to locate anywhere. If anyone can point me to a source for the US quarter version of Gerti Reborn, I would be very grateful indeed. Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, something even better than Gerti Reborn.

https://youtu.be/6A7VPMvVSc0

And can be found here.

https://tomladshawmagic.com/index.php?ro......to%20eye

Please note that I have no affiliation with the site, but you will find great customer service.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Wravyn, thanks for your input--greatly appreciated! Since my last posting, I have serendipitously located US versions of Gerti Reborn and its cousin The Silver Swindle thru private channels and am in the process of purchasing both. Having thus scratched my itch to acquire another 'which hand' method twice over, I think I'll just lie low for a while now and experiment with the Flux device. As a friend of a friend of mine has wisely observed about buying stocks, "You can't kiss all the girls." (sigh)
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2478 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
Wravyn, thanks for your input--greatly appreciated! Since my last posting, I have serendipitously located US versions of Gerti Reborn and its cousin The Silver Swindle thru private channels and am in the process of purchasing both. Having thus scratched my itch to acquire another 'which hand' method twice over, I think I'll just lie low for a while now and experiment with the Flux device. As a friend of a friend of mine has wisely observed about buying stocks, "You can't kiss all the girls." (sigh)

I bought a flux after spending WAY more than the flux cost on which hand manuscripts/books. Its perfect. TH, Trojan Hose, Manos, etc.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Magicmind, as I've posted elsewhere, it's my current thought to use TH with a spec first, then switch to a relatively question-less method (like Flux) in order to squelch any objections/challenges about a 'logic puzzle' or something like. My interest in Gerti Reborn, The Silver Swindle and other 'which hand' methods (Manoeda, Timon Krause's Which Hand, et al.) stems mostly from sheer curiosity, at least for now. Perhaps in coming months I may develop different strategies to "baffle and confound" an audience, we'll see. (sly grin)
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
185 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
I just got this from Penguin Magic. I love the method and cannot wait to perform it and see what my audience thinks.

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2021, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
I now own both Tequila Hustler and Flux (which arrived late yesterday via USPS from Theory 11) and I'm so pumped about having 2 different 'which hand' methods to perform that I find myself craving another. Most interesting to me right now is Gerti Reborn, the method of which I pretty much know but the gimmick for which I have been unable to locate anywhere. If anyone can point me to a source for the US quarter version of Gerti Reborn, I would be very grateful indeed. Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, something even better than Gerti Reborn.

https://youtu.be/6A7VPMvVSc0

And can be found here.

https://tomladshawmagic.com/index.php?ro......to%20eye

Please note that I have no affiliation with the site, but you will find great customer service.


I really like that routine, also that the performer is Australian!! However, I couldn’t open the link to xxxshawmagic

Would you mind checking that link, or maybe sending me a PM with the details of where to find it.

Cheers!
aka John
Fromentum
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Fromentum
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
Magicmind, as I've posted elsewhere, it's my current thought to use TH with a spec first, then switch to a relatively question-less method (like Flux) in order to squelch any objections/challenges about a 'logic puzzle' or something like. My interest in Gerti Reborn, The Silver Swindle and other 'which hand' methods (Manoeda, Timon Krause's Which Hand, et al.) stems mostly from sheer curiosity, at least for now. Perhaps in coming months I may develop different strategies to "baffle and confound" an audience, we'll see. (sly grin)


I have the Silver Swindel in Euro. It is horrible. In my opinion there is way to much heat on the coins. And if somebody looks at them closely they will easily find the gimmick. Also I don't like the premise. We mark to coins you give me one and ceep one now I will find out which one you gave me. That is not how it would look if you really could read minds.


I also wanted to mention Real Which Hand methods like Timon Krauses Which hand or Patrick Redfords Prevaricator. They basically do it for real. So if somebody is looking for an alternative for logic puzzles... there you go. But of course they need a lot of training and you can fail. But why not give it a try. I think a lot of people have to much faer of failing. If you fail so what... mind reading is not an exact thing like reading a boock. Misundersatndings can happen.

Also in Manos Kartsakis work (V1 and Unveil) you can find amazing work on ligic puzzled for which hand routunes ... they take Tequila Husteler to an absolute new level.
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2021, Fromentum wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2021, Deckstacker wrote:
Magicmind, as I've posted elsewhere, it's my current thought to use TH with a spec first, then switch to a relatively question-less method (like Flux) in order to squelch any objections/challenges about a 'logic puzzle' or something like. My interest in Gerti Reborn, The Silver Swindle and other 'which hand' methods (Manoeda, Timon Krause's Which Hand, et al.) stems mostly from sheer curiosity, at least for now. Perhaps in coming months I may develop different strategies to "baffle and confound" an audience, we'll see. (sly grin)


I have the Silver Swindel in Euro. It is horrible. In my opinion there is way to much heat on the coins. And if somebody looks at them closely they will easily find the gimmick. Also I don't like the premise. We mark to coins you give me one and ceep one now I will find out which one you gave me. That is not how it would look if you really could read minds.


I also wanted to mention Real Which Hand methods like Timon Krauses Which hand or Patrick Redfords Prevaricator. They basically do it for real. So if somebody is looking for an alternative for logic puzzles... there you go. But of course they need a lot of training and you can fail. But why not give it a try. I think a lot of people have to much faer of failing. If you fail so what... mind reading is not an exact thing like reading a boock. Misundersatndings can happen.

Also in Manos Kartsakis work (V1 and Unveil) you can find amazing work on ligic puzzled for which hand routunes ... they take Tequila Husteler to an absolute new level.


I would probably include Trojan Horse in the Manos list of great which hand / pocket effects.
aka John
Deckstacker
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Valley, CA
104 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Fromentum, I am confused now about Silver Swindle. You say that it is 'horrible' in its Euro version. However, Penguin currently offers it as a instant download without any coin(s). Will it still be horrible as a pure download, do you think? Please clarify (via PM if that seems more appropriate than here in the open forum). Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tequila Hustler (150 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL