The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Routines for MC ( Master of Ceremonies ) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I am looking for good and short routines with comedy for MC ( Master of Ceremonies ).

Around 5 or 6 routines for 100 persons.

I would appreciate your ideas .

Thanks .

Jean-Luc
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
MCing should not be about "doing routines" and comedy comes from the performer not the material.

Check out Timothy Hyde's MC book. It may be a good starting point for you. He seems to have been banned from here or dropped his membership here. Try ExpertMC.com. Best of luck
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Many thanks.
You are right .

Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
MCing should not be about "doing routines" and comedy comes from the performer not the material.

Check out Timothy Hyde's MC book. It may be a good starting point for you. He seems to have been banned from here or dropped his membership here. Try ExpertMC.com. Best of luck
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
As usual, Mindpro is right. One other thing to keep in mind though, and I have experienced this myself, is that someties the MC is asked to ad lib a couple of minutes while the next perfomrer recovers from a setting up mishap. A one or two minute bit is not a bad thing to be prepared for. Just make sure what ever you might do fits in with the rest of the show's theme.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Mindpro said it briefly and well!

Cliffg37: Your comment is about the ONLY exception! --EXCEPT! I have seen shows in which the "producers" booked a performer, and, because of a small budget, he is asked to also MC the bill.

But!!! The MC who does an "act between each act", does not, IMHO, help the show.

The worst example that I've ever seen was a Ring Public Show in northern California, about 25 years ago. The "MC" had a LECTERN spotted at stage left on the apron. After each act finished he would hold up a dealer catalog and announce that the (public) audience could "buy these tricks". IIRC, he even announced the catalog prices!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
LOL.

I was at that show. Dick was not a fan.

Jim Jayes practically had to hold Dick back from the MC.

Good times.

-Mary Mowder
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have seem more bad or poor MCs literally ruin or bring down an event. I don't think many understand the true level of responsibility and significance that comes with being an MC. It can literally make or break an event.
newmage
View Profile
New user
West Coast
25 Posts

Profile of newmage
I'll second the advice on Mr Hyde's book. Apart from the book itself there is a downloadable extra resource that lists suitable magic routines for MC's, magic books you can check out and other ideas for Magical MC's. I know he also did an article in Vanish some time back that could be worth checking out. It's possibly on the http://www.magiccoach.com site as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Routines for MC ( Master of Ceremonies ) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL